Post-Game Talk: At least with the losses we're getting valuable experience for our kids right?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Was he really though?

He was a great coach that clearly understood the roster and it's flaws, and did his best to hide those flaws.

Now the Wings are being coached by Kroger brand Mike Babcock.

Not really, Babcock makes a lot of the same mistakes in Toronto by similar admissions. It's just Babcock knows how to maximize possession. Don't forget, this is the same coach who put Cleary with Datsyuk to get him going.

Honestly, the results with Babcock to Blashill haven't been terribly different, it's just Blashill is getting a worse team every season.

Though saying Blashill is Kroger brand Babcock isn't too far off, honestly.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Interesting Z's line through 2 or 3 games has been the best. Abdelkader even at 75% is a boost over Sheahan. Unbelievable with his injuries Zetter still may end up being the highest producer. He had 2 points tonight. It either proves how weak the rest of our team is or shows that in hockey you can still survive without fast skating.

I was impressed how invisible Kronwall was, he pretty much fit right in (which isn't saying much lol). Had some good passes and a few embarrassing mis-reads, he was OK. The greatest misfortune of the Wings is that Kronwall, Z, and Datsyuk declined a few years quicker than expected without anywhere near the caliber replacements prepared. They have become average(?) players who need new superstars to take over but there are none.

I'm not seeing a huge difference between Marchenko, Sproul, Smith, XO, Ericsson, or now Kronwall. Doesn't seem to be a major factor this season where we get to.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
You mean ole peg leg? Give Kronner an eyepatch. He'd make a great pirate. I especially like the falling down on their 1st goal and AA flys over him. It looked like a Benny Hill skit.

Great Analysis.

But that was Dekeyser who fell down!

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Now that Kronwall's back can't we essentially send 1 of our 8 dmen that we have down to the minors and bring up Mantha? I'd say XO goes or waive Marchy. See if someone picks him up? I doubt anyone would, lol. Then slot in Sproul and Mantha on the 3rd line. Put Sheahan on the 4th.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Hmmm I wonder if it has anything with having some size and reach in the line up... Vanek, Sproul...?? Instead if a team stuffed with small forwards in the top 6 and well our entire line up for that matter.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The only thing worse then this game last night, Was Montreal getting blown out by the Blue Jackets in Columbus last night 10-0 The Wings still need pleny of help not looking good for them right now.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Now that Kronwall's back can't we essentially send 1 of our 8 dmen that we have down to the minors and bring up Mantha? I'd say XO goes or waive Marchy. See if someone picks him up? I doubt anyone would, lol. Then slot in Sproul and Mantha on the 3rd line. Put Sheahan on the 4th.

Who are you to send down? XO or Sproul knowing that they've to go on waivers and both would easily be claimed. Holland already said that Sproul is here to stay and for him to look for a place locally so Sproul wont be going it would've to be XO getting waived and i don't see that happening. Mark my words when Jurco gets back more then likely AA goes back to Grand Rapids unless Holland waives Jurco and i doubt that happens.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Pretty gross. Still early in the season, but if it's going to be this kind of season (unsustainable streaks, followed by violent regression back to normal), it's going to be hard to watch a lot of games.

I don't get Sproul continuing to sit in the press box. It's horrific, inexcusable personnel management. I'd also argue that continuing to run DDK out there on the top pairing is inexcusable - he's not good enough to play there, and at some point it's going to have a deleterious effect on him. Rotate guys through the assignments. It would be literally impossible to have a bigger dumpster fire back there than we already have.

Who are you to send down? XO or Sproul knowing that they've to go on waivers and both would easily be claimed. Holland already said that Sproul is here to stay and for him to look for a place locally so Sproul wont be going it would've to be XO getting waived and i don't see that happening. Mark my words when Jurco gets back more then likely AA goes back to Grand Rapids unless Holland waives Jurco and i doubt that happens.

Waive or trade XO. He adds nothing to this team, and he's not going to improve. There's no reason to keep him around. You could probably say the same for Marchenko, but he seems to be more protected in the lineup.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Pretty gross. Still early in the season, but if it's going to be this kind of season (unsustainable streaks, followed by violent regression back to normal), it's going to be hard to watch a lot of games.

I don't get Sproul continuing to sit in the press box. It's horrific, inexcusable personnel management. I'd also argue that continuing to run DDK out there on the top pairing is inexcusable - he's not good enough to play there, and at some point it's going to have a deleterious effect on him. Rotate guys through the assignments. It would be literally impossible to have a bigger dumpster fire back there than we already have.

Waive or trade XO. He adds nothing to this team, and he's not going to improve. There's no reason to keep him around. You could probably say the same for Marchenko, but he seems to be more protected in the lineup.

I'd be all for that, Would much rather have Sproul on the team then XO. Sproul should at least add some offense for the team. XO more then likely is already what we've to much on the team now shut down type of D man with very little to offer offensively wise.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
As many goals as Zetterberg, Tatar and Sheahan combined?

And that's playing with Helmer and Sheahan. :amazed:

Put him on a line with Larkin and Tatar and that line would actually look like a real NHL scoring line. This team has little to no ability to maintain possession, it's pretty much just one shot and then the puck leaves the zone.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
I'd be all for that, Would much rather have Sproul on the team then XO. Sproul should at least add some offense for the team. XO more then likely is already what we've to much on the team now shut down type of D man with very little to offer offensively wise.

IMO the problem has not been offense

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
These Zetterberg post game comments are starting to make me sick to my stomach. "I thought we did a lot of good things out there." blah blah blah. Take some accountability for the team, as the captain. How about "we have to be way better. We have to battle harder and compete for 60 minutes. We can't go up by a goal and sit on a lead, and try to win by 1, we need to keep attacking."

Getting real fed up with this garbage. Z's tenure as captain has not been pretty.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
IMO the problem has not been offense

Coaching as well. Why do we sit on 1 goal leads? It's very irritating. Whenever we go up by a goal in the 3rd we try to win by that 1 goal. We do not have a good enough D corps, and good enough defensive forwards to try to protect a 1 goal lead, yet we continue to do it. It didn't work last year. Didn't work 2 years ago either. Why they contnue to play with this philosophy boggles my mind.

Blashill plays Miller and Glendening for 10+ minutes in the 3rd periods of games where we're up. It's borderline insanity.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"- Albert Einstein

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Kronwalls back, defense is worse.

Kronwall was gone, defense was good.

I see a trend somewhere.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I am really sick of Blashill honestly. I've seen that guy get animated once in his tenure here, and that was this week in Philly. He just kind of sits there with that dumb look on his face, then does the same dumb shell hockey and putting Marchenko on the ice. Rinse, repeat.

This organization has a loyalty thing above and beyond what I've ever seen with a team. It's not like we have a bunch of Tom Brady's that deserve it either. Why are people like XO and Marchenko getting spoon fed and getting a billion chances. They don't make our team any better, so GTFO. These guys made the NHL. I don't care who they play for, I don't care what happens to them. They make more money than surgeons to play a game, and not even play it well. Get them the **** out of here. And Dekeyser's contract is KILLING ME right now. More than Helm, more than Abby. WTF happened to this guy?

It's not Z's call to play shell hockey though. That is on Blashill. Blash says I want one of our 5'10" wingers to go into the zone and everyone else hang high, hold on tight!!! It's also on Blash to throw Glendening/Miller out there every 3 seconds with a lead also. Luke and that line are good 5 on 5 shutdown when they are mucking it up and shadowing people, being a pain. When it comes to 6 on 5, you need size and speed. You need to clog up the lanes better.

We miss Vanek's size and reach a ton. I cannot stress enough how underrated it is just to have a couple bigger guys. Having Mantha up here would make a bigger difference than we think. Just having an extra foot reach is enough to get a stick in the lane, to tip that clear while forechecking. That extra foot and extra 20 pounds shields a defender off to grab that rebound that might be going to the corner to keep the puck in the o-zone. They don't have to be big goons who put people through the glass. Just the extra stick and a bit of extra muscle to shield the puck and the possession numbers will grow. Tatar and Nyquist just aren't going to cut it as forecheckers.

And why are we still playing Mrazek? Because he is our "future?" I'm not so sure anymore with how he has been looking. Why do you sacrifice these early points now. Jimmy Howard has been on fire. Is Jimmy Howard getting paid? Yes. So ****ing play him.

As far as I'm concerned, XO and Marchenko, and Miller at this point can all leave. You call up Russo (lighting it up in GR), and you call up Mantha (also lighting it up in GR). You play Sproul. We just doubled in size when Vanek comes back, and we get two guys who can move the puck pretty well. Blashill stops his stupid ass shell hockey and sits Mrazek down and we have 4 more points right now, and won't lose even more to come.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I see a trend somewhere.

Thought Kronwall was actually good last night. I'd put very little blame on him for that game.

Ericsson-Marchenko pairing was straight trash.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

I see a trend somewhere.

Yeah, let's pin everything on him. Because our defense was so ****ing good before that. Especially DeKeyser was playing awesome lately.
Must have sucked that you couldn't pin the 5-2 loss vs. the Cats on Kronner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad