Post-Game Talk: At least with the losses we're getting valuable experience for our kids right?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Thought Kronwall was actually good last night. I'd put very little blame on him for that game.

Ericsson-Marchenko pairing was straight trash.

I think Marchenko has slipped to the point of E trying to carry that pairing and he just can't do it. Agree about Kronwall, I thought he was fine.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Of course not. Just frustrated that my fav is the most bland team in the league.

Hey it should get exciting soon.

Nosek from GR and Jurco will be back too.
Then Blashill can send AA down and really strengthen the team!

And still have Mantha bobblehead night in GR.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
IMO the problem has not been offense

I disagree. Goal scoring may be up, but I don't think it's because we're playing particularly well, as much as we're getting the bounces right now. How many of our goals have been the result of good scoring chances, or well designed plays? We're league average on the power play right now, and we're near the bottom of the league in shots per game (and 22nd in total shots against). I don't think the offense is consistently pressuring the other team, and I think we're very nearly inept when it comes to constant offensive zone pressure.

I'm not saying our defense has been good, but I am saying our offense isn't very good and that I think that influences the defense.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wings are spending almost $10 million per on goaltending. When Mrazek lets in 4 goals while the better goalie sits... well that is unacceptable. The best goalie needs to play. Trade the other.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Wings are spending almost $10 million per on goaltending. When Mrazek lets in 4 goals while the better goalie sits... well that is unacceptable. The best goalie needs to play. Trade the other.

Also, Mrazek's causing global warming. Getting scored on that many times in a single game leads to excessive use of the goal-lamp, the power requirement for which leaves an inexcusable carbon footprint.

If ONLY they would play Howard, there would be no global warming!

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Also, Mrazek's causing global warming. Getting scored on that many times in a single game leads to excessive use of the goal-lamp, the power requirement for which leaves an inexcusable carbon footprint.

If ONLY they would play Howard, there would be no global warming!

Hey now, no need to get political.

There is already a "Mrazek global warming" thread in the politics section because of his transgressions this season. :sarcasm:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I disagree. Goal scoring may be up, but I don't think it's because we're playing particularly well, as much as we're getting the bounces right now. How many of our goals have been the result of good scoring chances, or well designed plays? We're league average on the power play right now, and we're near the bottom of the league in shots per game (and 22nd in total shots against). I don't think the offense is consistently pressuring the other team, and I think we're very nearly inept when it comes to constant offensive zone pressure.

I'm not saying our defense has been good, but I am saying our offense isn't very good and that I think that influences the defense.

I'm with you. Detroit has run with a very middling pack of defensemen since 2012, the strategy (out of necessity) has been defense by committee. Comparing GF the last three seasons we went from 16th to 10th and then last season 23rd in the NHL. The stone-age complaint that..."we need an upgrade on D", doesn't apply as significantly today. We need snipers.

Sure great hockey players in any position will help the cause but IMO it's been a lot on the forwards who can't get it done. We have a group of forwards (and D) I do not expect to score. Helm, Sheahan, Tatar, Nielsen, Abdelkader, don't even mention Glendening or Miller. Sadly even Larkin, Z, and Nyquist I'm almost surprised if they do.

Despite the accepted science of success I believe a team could win it all without superstars. Take Carolina 2006 as an example. It would take extreme dedication and practice as an integrated squad to overcome the physical handicaps but it is possible. Playing the blame game isn't a solution. The Red Wings have to improve in increments or fall off the face of the earth- there aren't easy answers.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
I'm with you. Detroit has run with a very middling pack of defensemen since 2012, the strategy (out of necessity) has been defense by committee. Comparing GF the last three seasons we went from 16th to 10th and then last season 23rd in the NHL. The stone-age complaint that..."we need an upgrade on D", doesn't apply as significantly today. We need snipers.

Sure great hockey players in any position will help the cause but IMO it's been a lot on the forwards who can't get it done. We have a group of forwards (and D) I do not expect to score. Helm, Sheahan, Tatar, Nielsen, Abdelkader, don't even mention Glendening or Miller. Sadly even Larkin, Z, and Nyquist I'm almost surprised if they do.

Despite the accepted science of success I believe a team could win it all without superstars. Take Carolina 2006 as an example. It would take extreme dedication and practice as an integrated squad to overcome the physical handicaps but it is possible. Playing the blame game isn't a solution. The Red Wings have to improve in increments or fall off the face of the earth- there aren't easy answers.

As cool at it'd be for the Wings to pull together a 2002 Pistons-type core, it's probably even more of a pipe dream than having a superstar or two fall in our laps. The 06 Carolina Cup was more a result of the rule changes and massive roster turnovers from the lockout than an example of strong system play overcoming lack of star power, and even then they needed a long list of favorable circumstances culminating with facing a similarly weak Edmonton squad who lost a red-hot Roloson in game one to injury, and still needed 7 games to seal the deal--with a more talented squad than the current incarnation of Detroit, to boot. If anything, Pronger's performance that year and subsequent exodus from the Oilers makes the stronger case for the absolute need of top-end talent to succeed in this league, particularly in terms of defensemen. Hurricanes didn't even make the playoffs the following season with essentially the same squad, the Oilers receded to the cellar to begin collecting a pile of first overalls, while Pronger joins an already-strong Anaheim team and the rest is bitter history for us Wings fans (we really had a good chance at three straight cups, if only...).

As to the need for a defenseman, it's not just about improving the defense, but improving the transition to offense--a defenseman who can smoothly shut down opposing rushes and then reliably fire the puck up to a streaking winger would make better use of the speed we have and would mitigate our lack of a cycle/possession game and lack of a true playmaker. Opponents would have to think twice about entering one side of the zone, and couldn't press as aggressively with the threat a tight outlet pass looming. The aggression of a Smith or a Green wouldn't be such a liability on pinches, and could help in holding the offensive zone (a must for an effective powerplay). Such a player would probably swing us +20 goals over the course of the season at the very least, tilting the ice as a good defenseman can. Getting our hands on that player of course is the tricky part--as you say, no easy answers. But I'd wager no less likely than our winning a Stanley Cup on a Carolina-esque fluke.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I didnt watch the last game.

Hopefully better luck today

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad