Post-Game Talk: At Least We Weren't Blown Out or Shut Out - CBJ 2, Leafs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lose 1 goal game against team that historically has our number, still dominating first 30 minutes and last 5, missing 3 wide open nets, and like clockwork, this place panics.

:rolleyes:

before this season the Leafs all-time record vs. Columbus was 6-1-1(tie)-2(OTL)

And seeing as how the last time Toronto played Columbus before this year (November 3rd, 2011), both teams sucked and had entirely different rosters, those stats mean a lot less than the two horrific games we had against them this year.

In fact, this is BY FAR, the best game we had against them this year. It was essentially a toss-up instead of utter humiliation.

Interesting definition of "historically". :) I guess by historical you mean if you lose 2 games to a team, you're expected to lose the 3rd as well. BTW, that's exactly what I meant by having a loser attitude. But hey, I'm glad we had our best game against them this year. By far. Let's celebrate! :yo:

You're my favorite poster DD. Please don't ever change.

Feb 24, 2004
Interesting definition of "historically". :) I guess by historical you mean if you lose 2 games to a team, you're expected to lose the 3rd as well. BTW, that's exactly what I meant by having a loser attitude. But hey, I'm glad we had our best game against them this year. By far. Let's celebrate! :yo:

You're my favorite poster DD. Please don't ever change.

Amazing.

By the way, please play Ashton more than 7 minutes RC.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
The Blue Jackets beat Dallas. Their point percentage is now .556 (69 pts in 62 games). Ours is .571 (72 in 63). They are 3 points behind but with 1 game in hand. When you adjust for games played, the Blue Jackets are really like 1.85 pts behind Toronto. And they are just a hair shy of Detroit (.557. 68 pts in 61 games).

The Toronto Maple Leafs are in danger of not making the playoffs. Easy. Columbus and Detroit are in position to knock them off.

I called it at the start of the season that the Leafs will fail to make the playoffs due to their poor possession hockey. Ideally I want both Carlyle and Nonis gone. They are not taking the team in the right direction. And are in fact handicapping the team (ie. David Clarkson contract). So naturally I don't want the team to make the playoffs. It seems like our fanbase will excuse whatever these two do so as long as we make the playoffs.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
The Blue Jackets beat Dallas. Their point percentage is now .556 (69 pts in 62 games). Ours is .571 (72 in 63). They are 3 points behind but with 1 game in hand. When you adjust for games played, the Blue Jackets are really like 1.85 pts behind Toronto. And they are just a hair shy of Detroit (.557. 68 pts in 61 games).

The Toronto Maple Leafs are in danger of not making the playoffs. Easy. Columbus and Detroit are in position to knock them off.

You could easily say the same thing about CBJ and DET, they are still behind us and have many problems just like us, don't make it sound like they're going to destroy us in this race, it's going to be neck and neck until the end.

Yea we've faltered a bit the past 3 games, but still have points in two of them, and haven't looked horrendous as we did around december.

You also have to note that we are right behind Tampa and Montreal too, all it takes is a few wins in a row.

We'll essentially find out in the next 5 games or so.

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009

I called it at the start of the season that the Leafs will fail to make the playoffs due to their poor possession hockey. Ideally I want both Carlyle and Nonis gone. They are not taking the team in the right direction. And are in fact handicapping the team (ie. David Clarkson contract). So naturally I don't want the team to make the playoffs. It seems like our fanbase will excuse whatever these two do so as long as we make the playoffs.

We're also 3 points out of home ice...:help:

Delicious Dangles*

Interesting definition of "historically". :) I guess by historical you mean if you lose 2 games to a team, you're expected to lose the 3rd as well. BTW, that's exactly what I meant by having a loser attitude. But hey, I'm glad we had our best game against them this year. By far. Let's celebrate! :yo:.
his·tor·i·cal·ly
hiˈstôrik(ə)le
adverb
1. with reference to past events.

As in past games with Columbus. Since there are only two games against them in the last 2 and a half years, and any further back would be irrelevant to current teams, we should look at those.

When we look at those, we see that in both games this year, we were horribly manhandled. Not good.

When we look at last game, relative toss-up where we were the better team for 35 of the 60 minutes. Not good, but better.

We are not EXPECTED to lose the 3rd, but we are EXPECTED to have a tougher time than the average team.

Let's NOT celebrate. Let's ALSO NOT tear this team apart for a 1-goal game.

I'm not sure what part you're having trouble with here.

Delicious Dangles*

so what you're saying is the leafs haven't struggled historically against the blue jackets and if they had it wouldn't matter because this year's blue jackets are a different team than previous ones. got it.
his·tor·i·cal·ly
hiˈstôrik(ə)lē,-ˈstär-/Submit
adverb
1.with reference to past events.

Historically doesn't have to mean all-time or years ago.

We have struggled against Columbus since both teams became competitive. Those games just happen to both be this year, which also paints the clearest picture, which is a problem for you for unknown reasons.

Delicious Dangles*

they had two dangerous powerplays in the 1st (both off of penalties that CBJ players took in the Leafs zone) and some stretches of good 5-on-5 play. and then they "stopped skating completely" for a period like they do every. game. and yeah they could have easily tied it, though i don't recall three missed empty nets.
So you agree, we were the better team for 35 minutes of the 60 minute game.

They do not "stop skating every game". Perhaps you are just mistaken about what an average hockey game looks like. I suggest go watching other teams to build your library of knowledge.

As for the three empty nets, Kessel had one, Bozak had one, and I believe it was Kadri who had one.

Delicious Dangles*

Oh I see. They're a suffocating defensive team that makes it tough for sure. And no PPs, wow. Where should be a rule I guess that guarantees us a few PPs every time we fall behind by 2 goals I guess. Yeah, that would make sense. :laugh:

Oh yeah a Vezina winning goalie, almost missed that part. Imagine, anyone expecting us to compete against that. How is it possible that according to the bookies we were solid favorites going in to this game. Oh yeah that's right, you're on record as saying the Vegas lines are meaningless I almost forgot.

LMAO. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Where did I say we can't compete against that, or that we should get auto-PPs?

For the LAST time, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. Next time I get moderators involved.

What I DID say, was that once we got behind, it is that much harder to come back, especially considering the facts that we didn't get any PPs, Columbus started collapsing back, and we were facing a Vezina-winning goalie. OBVIOUSLY those things would make scoring harder. I don't understand how you aren't understanding this.

And yes, betting lines are meaningless for our discussion, though I'm not sure how it relates anyway.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
his·tor·i·cal·ly
hiˈstôrik(ə)le
adverb
1. with reference to past events.

As in past games with Columbus. Since there are only two games against them in the last 2 and a half years, and any further back would be irrelevant to current teams, we should look at those.

When we look at those, we see that in both games this year, we were horribly manhandled. Not good.

Ok, your interpretation of "past events" goes back only so far in this case, fair enough. If you think a 2 game sample size is enough to draw conclusions from though then I suggest you go educate yourself before making more foolish posts.

When we look at last game, relative toss-up where we were the better team for 35 of the 60 minutes. Not good, but better.

Now you're really grasping at straws. Even if we were to accept for a moment that we were the better team for 35 minutes, this has zero relevance to anything. This is a perfect example of what I see as a loser attitude. "We outplayed them for 35 minutes, look ma, a moral victory, let's celebrate". :laugh:

We are not EXPECTED to lose the 3rd, but we are EXPECTED to have a tougher time than the average team.

Let's NOT celebrate. Let's ALSO NOT tear this team apart for a 1-goal game.

I'm not sure what part you're having trouble with here.

And why is that? Is it because you're saying we're not as good as an average team? That's what it sounds like you're saying but I wouldn't go that far myself. :)

I'm certainly not tearing the team apart. I just see it for what it is. Mediocre, excellent in some areas, horrible in others, overall extremely unpredictable. I'll praise them when they play well, but I refuse to make excuses for them when they play poorly.

Where did I say we can't compete against that, or that we should get auto-PPs?

For the LAST time, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. Next time I get moderators involved.

You mentioned that we didn't get any PP's as an excuse. Why? Sometimes you get PP's and sometimes you don't. Often, if you get them it's because you earn them by applying pressure, something we didn't do. Why are you crying the blues about not getting any PPs? Using that as an excuse seems like you think we should get auto-PPS, why else would you be complaining. If you mean something else, you should make yourself more clear, than you wouldn't have to accuse people of twisting you words around.

Is threatening me with mods the equivalent of saying "I'll tell mom"? OK DD, I stand warned I guess. :laugh:

What I DID say, was that once we got behind, it is that much harder to come back, especially considering the facts that we didn't get any PPs, Columbus started collapsing back, and we were facing a Vezina-winning goalie. OBVIOUSLY those things would make scoring harder. I don't understand how you aren't understanding this.

That's deep. And who's to blame for the fact that we got behind?

And yes, betting lines are meaningless for our discussion, though I'm not sure how it relates anyway.

OK you didn't get the point, I'll explain. I find it laughable (and indicicative of a "loser" mentality that you are making excuses after the fact for the fact that we played poorly and lost a very winnable game. You might have some more credibility if you said BEFORE the game that this would be a particulary tough one but making excuses after the fact is for losers.

According to the betting line, Toronto was a decent favorite to win the game - that is the point. The line-makers are well aware of history, past performance etc., but go figure, Toronto was still a solid favorite. You have dismissed the betting lines as meaningless for various reasons (all really really bad reasons) but the fact is, the guys that set the line know more about this than you do by a very very large margin. This was a game we were favored to win, we lost. That's it. It's only one game, it's not the end of the world but it was a loss. A loss at home, against a team we are battling for a wild-card spot. A game we were facored to win. Accept it, suck it up and hope we do better next time. Making excuses for it (especially the super lame excuses you have come up with) is pathetic and indicates to me a loser mentality.

Hope that helps.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
So you agree, we were the better team for 35 minutes of the 60 minute game.

They do not "stop skating every game". Perhaps you are just mistaken about what an average hockey game looks like. I suggest go watching other teams to build your library of knowledge.

As for the three empty nets, Kessel had one, Bozak had one, and I believe it was Kadri who had one.

was the first period 35 minutes long for this game?

Bozak and Kadri had point blank chances in close, Bozak was stopped and Kadri fanned on his. the net wasn't empty in either case. Bozak flubbed on a few centering passes in the third. keep in mind Bozak is the team's most valuable player so if he can't bury on an open net it must be a tough play.

Columbus hit at least two posts - Jenner off the rush and the defenseman who was allowed to waltz in here:
EUWtMud.jpg

of course the Leafs were unlucky to lose, though.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

also i don't think they literally stop skating every game. i think they consistently go entire periods, sometimes more, without controlling any aspect of play. i think people explain these lapses as being the result of the team "not skating"/"not working"/"not competing". but they happen allllllll the time, more frequently and more pronounced than the swings in momentum that occur in the "average hockey game."

Delicious Dangles*

Ok, your interpretation of "past events" goes back only so far in this case, fair enough. If you think a 2 game sample size is enough to draw conclusions from though then I suggest you go educate yourself before making more foolish posts.
Going back longer than 2 and a half years provides data that holds no value for evaluating current teams. Both teams were in entirely different phases of development and had entirely different systems and players.

No, a 2 game sample size is not too small when the only conclusions being drawn are that we will struggle against them this year because we have struggled against them this year. Not much of a stretch, especially considering the way those losses happened.

Now you're really grasping at straws. Even if we were to accept for a moment that we were the better team for 35 minutes, this has zero relevance to anything. This is a perfect example of what I see as a loser attitude. "We outplayed them for 35 minutes, look ma, a moral victory, let's celebrate". :laugh:
No, once AGAIN, not celebrate, but not bash them either for a game that could have gone either way.

It's not grasping at straws. First you're telling me that it's "how you play the game", not wins, that matter. Now it's strictly wins, and how we play doesn't matter?

So which is it? It has become quite obvious that your story changes to fit your argument.

And why is that? Is it because you're saying we're not as good as an average team? That's what it sounds like you're saying but I wouldn't go that far myself. :)
No, because Columbus, their style, players, etc. work very well against our system which gives us a tougher time than we would get from a different opponent. Therefore, this game would hold a higher difficulty value.

I'm certainly not tearing the team apart. I just see it for what it is. Mediocre, excellent in some areas, horrible in others, overall extremely unpredictable. I'll praise them when they play well, but I refuse to make excuses for them when they play poorly.
Except your team equation somehow goes elite area + elite area + below average area + Above average in the standings + above average last year = Mediocre. Does not compute.

You mentioned that we didn't get any PP's as an excuse. Why? Sometimes you get PP's and sometimes you don't. Often, if you get them it's because you earn them by applying pressure, something we didn't do. Why are you crying the blues about not getting any PPs? Using that as an excuse seems like you think we should get auto-PPS, why else would you be complaining. If you mean something else, you should make yourself more clear, than you wouldn't have to accuse people of twisting you words around.
It was not an excuse, it was a reason. Learn the difference.

Yes, sometimes PPs come from pressure. Just as often, they are entirely random, as are the style of game the refs are looking to call. Refs decided to put away their whistles that game, which makes overcoming deficits that much more difficult.

If we had gotten the early 2 goal lead, and the same conditions held true, it would be the same situation for Columbus. It's how games play out, and I agree that players need to learn how to overcome it, but it's foolish to suggest they don't affect outcomes.

Is threatening me with mods the equivalent of saying "I'll tell mom"? OK DD, I stand warned I guess. :laugh:
It's not threatening anything. It's making you aware that I know what you are doing, and if you continue to do it, it is against site rules and I'll get others involved.

You are not allowed to intentionally misrepresent what another user is saying, let alone follow them from thread to thread and do so repeatedly.

That's deep. And who's to blame for the fact that we got behind?
Toronto's. Nowhere did I say differently.

OK you didn't get the point, I'll explain. I find it laughable (and indicicative of a "loser" mentality that you are making excuses after the fact for the fact that we played poorly and lost a very winnable game. You might have some more credibility if you said BEFORE the game that this would be a particulary tough one but making excuses after the fact is for losers.
My stance did not change because we lost. The facts said this would be a tough game. Believe what you want.

According to the betting line, Toronto was a decent favorite to win the game - that is the point. The line-makers are well aware of history, past performance etc., but go figure, Toronto was still a solid favorite. You have dismissed the betting lines as meaningless for various reasons (all really really bad reasons) but the fact is, the guys that set the line know more about this than you do by a very very large margin.
The oddsmaker are aware of what makes them the most money, and if people making the bets are not concerning themselves with every intricate detail of their performance, history and statistics, which most don't, then the odds will not reflect those things like you think they will.

Once again, betting lines have no place in our discussion. Learn how they work, and then learn how to properly apply them in discussions.

Delicious Dangles*

was the first period 35 minutes long for this game?

Bozak and Kadri had point blank chances in close, Bozak was stopped and Kadri fanned on his. the net wasn't empty in either case. Bozak flubbed on a few centering passes in the third. keep in mind Bozak is the team's most valuable player so if he can't bury on an open net it must be a tough play.

Columbus hit at least two posts - Jenner off the rush and the defenseman who was allowed to waltz in here:
EUWtMud.jpg

of course the Leafs were unlucky to lose, though.
Up until they scored, which was halfway through the 2nd period, we were controlling the play and getting the majority of chances.

Lol @ Bozak being MVP. Not even close, and this isn't the first time he has missed a wide open chance. You seem to be missing the point anyway.

I didn't say Columbus was just lucky to win. I said it was a close game that could have gone either way, and that result doesn't deserve the bashing that is coming from it.

Delicious Dangles*

also i don't think they literally stop skating every game. i think they consistently go entire periods, sometimes more, without controlling any aspect of play. i think people explain these lapses as being the result of the team "not skating"/"not working"/"not competing". but they happen allllllll the time, more frequently and more pronounced than the swings in momentum that occur in the "average hockey game."
That is where we differ. I watch many non-Leaf games, and I don't see much difference in the swings of momentum from the average, especially young, team at our phase of development.

I think people expect more out of their own team and watch certain players that they want to make judgements on more closely, so it skews perception.

Delicious Dangles*

Leafs didn't register a shot until over halfway through the 2nd.

anyway, on to the next game. you're alright by me, Delicious Dangles.
Yeah, nobody did until 5:11 of the 2nd. Nice try.

By 10:31 of the 2nd period, shots were 3-2 Columbus. Not the huge disparity you indicated.

Also, shots =/= chances or control of play or board battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad