Post-Game Talk: At Least We Weren't Blown Out or Shut Out - CBJ 2, Leafs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
'

they lost to one of the worst teams in the league and a really beatable MTL team (no Price) and coughed up a lead in both. and then they were characteristically bad against CBJ.

This has been their MO all season long. A few good stretches here and there, but mostly, they play a damned putrid form of hockey!

I'm disgusted by the lack of improvement!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
one thing that really makes me angry is how the Leafs players rarely, if ever, go after a guy for poking at or running our goalies.

It's open season and our supposed captain is a chicken.

This has not gone unseen by his teammates too!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This has been their MO all season long. A few good stretches here and there, but mostly, they play a damned putrid form of hockey!

And to think the rebuild took less than 5 years.

That's really impressive.

Should we allow 1 boneheaded move every calendar year per GM?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs are the 5th worst defensive team based on goals against, and playoff power rankings favour strong defensive puck possession teams.

The Leafs have now lost 4 of their last 6 games including to Florida and NYI (2 of the 4 teams) below them in goals against.

Our Leafs now in year 6 of their rebuild and still one of the weakest NHL teams defensively, last in shots against and shot differentials and 28th ranked PK is definitely disappointing in terms of progress.

Delicious Dangles*

Lose 1 goal game against team that historically has our number, still dominating first 30 minutes and last 5, missing 3 wide open nets, and like clockwork, this place panics.

:rolleyes:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Lose 1 goal game against team that historically has our number, still dominating first 30 minutes and last 5, missing 3 wide open nets, and like clockwork, this place panics.

I'm so gladd you approve of their performance this season. Personally, I'm disgusted by their total LACK of IMPROVEMENT! :shakehead

Last nights game, and the prior two games, would only be acceptable if they were firmly holding down a playoff spot with at least a ten point cushion. That is NOT the situation they are in! :rant:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

At the end of the day, it's the 0 points on the board in an extremely tight race and losing out two more potential points in games that were very winnable that bothers posters.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
At the end of the day, it's the 0 points on the board in an extremely tight race and losing out two more potential points in games that were very winnable that bothers posters.

A win by the Leafs could have put 9 points between Columbus and themselves for a playoff spot.

Instead a regulation loss moved the Jackets to 5 points behind with 2 games in hand.

The net result of this loss just let another team into the playoff mix and thereby decreased the Leafs odds by increased competition.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

Again: the Leafs have turned in an effort like last night's on about 40 other occasions this season. They have won a remarkable number of these games. last night's game alone is not cause for panic. Many posts have expressed something more like resignation. These are the Leafs. This is how they play, how they are coached, how they win and lose, how they are assembled. They are not a very good team.

Delicious Dangles*

I'm so gladd you approve of their performance this season. Personally, I'm disgusted by their total LACK of IMPROVEMENT! :shakehead

Last nights game, and the prior two games, would only be acceptable if they were firmly holding down a playoff spot with at least a ten point cushion. That is NOT the situation they are in! :rant:
The only place we have NOT shown improvement over last year, which in itself was a season with different variables so not really a comparable, is defensively, and there shouldn't be expectations of great improvements there over the course of a year in which our defense (AND centers AND goalies) got younger and less experienced, and in which we encountered significantly more injuries.

Again: the Leafs have turned in an effort like last night's on about 40 other occasions this season. They have won a remarkable number of these games. last night's game alone is not cause for panic. Many posts have expressed something more like resignation. These are the Leafs. This is how they play, how they are coached, how they win and lose, how they are assembled. They are not a very good team.
By efforts like last night, you mean dominating efforts for 35 minutes out of a 60 minute game?

Or by that, did you mean scoring only 1 goal? Missing 3 open nets? Those don't sound like the characteristics of one of the best scoring teams in the league on a regular basis.

Funny how a team that's "not very good" is in reality, pretty good, and about exactly where we should have been expected to be.

Perhaps people need to go watch some games from around the league and realize that even cup contenders are embarrassed on occasion, have slumps and peaks throughout the season and throughout games, like all teams. Then they can come back to the Leafs and realize that a close 1-goal game is not reason to scream the end of the world.

In fact, three 1-goal games, two of which ended in OT, facing some of the worst puck-luck we've had all season, after a long break and one of the best runs in hockey prior to it, is never a reason to panic, especially when we will potentially have a full line-up next game for I believe the first time this season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Person1 : Columbus isn't that good.

Person 2: But they have our number!!

Most pathetic excuse of all time. What a loser attitude.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The only place we have NOT shown improvement over last year, which in itself was a season with different variables so not really a comparable, is defensively, and there shouldn't be expectations of great improvements there over the course of a year in which our defense (AND centers AND goalies) got younger and less experienced, and in which we encountered significantly more injuries.

By efforts like last night, you mean dominating efforts for 35 minutes out of a 60 minute game?

Or by that, did you mean scoring only 1 goal? Missing 3 open nets? Those don't sound like the characteristics of one of the best scoring teams in the league on a regular basis.

Funny how a team that's "not very good" is in reality, pretty good, and about exactly where we should have been expected to be.

Perhaps people need to go watch some games from around the league and realize that even cup contenders are embarrassed on occasion, have slumps and peaks throughout the season and throughout games, like all teams. Then they can come back to the Leafs and realize that a close 1-goal game is not reason to scream the end of the world.

In fact, three 1-goal games, two of which ended in OT, facing some of the worst puck-luck we've had all season, after a long break and one of the best runs in hockey prior to it, is never a reason to panic, especially when we will potentially have a full line-up next game for I believe the first time this season.

You got that right chief. Except that's kind of like saying the only thing wrong with this team is that it sucks.

Great team. Well ... the defence sucks but other than that ...

:shakehead

Delicious Dangles*

Person1 : Columbus isn't that good.

Person 2: But they have our number!!

Most pathetic excuse of all time. What a loser attitude.
I'm not sure what you are arguing. It is essentially proven and common knowledge that certain teams play better against certain teams, and certain systems are more effective against certain systems.

I'm not sure why people treated Columbus as some pushover when history has said that is not true against us.

This probably goes back to the problem that people who don't really understand hockey fall into, trusting only aggregate standings against 29 teams to determine who "should win" a hockey game between two participants, ignoring all variables, and then getting mad when that doesn't happen.

This is not saying roll over and die. This is saying don't go overboard when we lose to a team we tend to struggle against, much less when it's a close one-goal game.

You got that right chief. Except that's kind of like saying the only thing wrong with this team is that it sucks.

Great team. Well ... the defence sucks but other than that ...

:shakehead
Uh, no, it's nothing like that. Defense is not the only thing that makes a team, and it's not nearly as bad as most of you guys make it out to be. Funny how you conveniently ignored the rest of my post, as usual.

It's similar to how LA can overcome being a garbage team offensively.

We have top-end goaltending and top-end offense, and plenty of potential for improvement in our defense ranks, which usually takes the longest time to come together.

People are just impatient.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm not sure what you are arguing. It is essentially proven and common knowledge that certain teams play better against certain teams, and certain systems are more effective against certain systems.

I'm not sure why people treated Columbus as some pushover when history has said that is not true against us.

This probably goes back to the problem that people who don't really understand hockey fall into, trusting only aggregate standings against 29 teams to determine who "should win" a hockey game between two participants, ignoring all variables, and then getting mad when that doesn't happen.

This is not saying roll over and die. This is saying don't go overboard when we lose to a team we tend to struggle against, much less when it's a close one-goal game.

Uh, no, it's nothing like that. Defense is not the only thing that makes a team, and it's not nearly as bad as most of you guys make it out to be. We have top-end goaltending and top-end offense, and plenty of potential for improvement in our defense ranks.

People are just impatient.

and it's a cycle. There was a time that the Leafs OWNED Boston. You go in we swept, or handly won the season series, and walked on. Then they became 'Boston' and then they started to smoke us. now I feel it's about even.

Buffalo has owned us for ever (especially in Buffalo), Carolina has always had our number.

Ottawa used to own Toronto, and now we're pretty strong against them. It's not a loser mentality it's fact. crying out loud.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

before this season the Leafs all-time record vs. Columbus was 6-1-1(tie)-2(OTL)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
and it's a cycle. There was a time that the Leafs OWNED Boston. You go in we swept, or handly won the season series, and walked on. Then they became 'Boston' and then they started to smoke us. now I feel it's about even.

Buffalo has owned us for ever (especially in Buffalo), Carolina has always had our number.

Ottawa used to own Toronto, and now we're pretty strong against them. It's not a loser mentality it's fact. crying out loud.

This exactly. Things change over time. If all pro athletes had the same attitude of that Dangles fellow, they would all be losers. The mental aspect of the game is at least as important as the physical, this is true of all sports. And if you go into a game with a ready-made excuse for losing, most of the time you will lose.

Delicious Dangles*

you really think the Leafs dominated play for over half of last night's game?
I don't know how anybody can say they didn't. Up until Columbus scored, we were controlling the game, keeping possession, winning puck battles, getting the better chances. Then they scored twice fast, and we stopped skating completely until the last 5 minutes, where we turned it on.

Coming back from a 2-goal deficit against a vezina-winning goalie, a suffocating defensive team, with no PPs is not an easy task, even for one of the best offenses in the league.

before this season the Leafs all-time record vs. Columbus was 6-1-1(tie)-2(OTL)
And seeing as how the last time Toronto played Columbus before this year (November 3rd, 2011), both teams sucked and had entirely different rosters, those stats mean a lot less than the two horrific games we had against them this year.

In fact, this is BY FAR, the best game we had against them this year. It was essentially a toss-up instead of utter humiliation.

Delicious Dangles*

This exactly. Things change over time. If all pro athletes had the same attitude of that Dangles fellow, they would all be losers. The mental aspect of the game is at least as important as the physical, this is true of all sports. And if you go into a game with a ready-made excuse for losing, most of the time you will lose.
And where did I say we, and especially the athletes, should have a ready-made excuse for losing? I said DON'T roll over and die, but it's not the end of the world either if we do end up losing.

I would say that about any 1-goal game. It just holds more weight because we struggle against Columbus.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
And seeing as how the last time Toronto played Columbus before this year (November 3rd, 2011), both teams sucked and had entirely different rosters, those stats mean a lot less than the two horrific games we had against them this year.

so what you're saying is the leafs haven't struggled historically against the blue jackets and if they had it wouldn't matter because this year's blue jackets are a different team than previous ones. got it.

Last edited:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I don't know how anybody can say they didn't. Up until Columbus scored, we were controlling the game, keeping possession, winning puck battles, getting the better chances. Then they scored twice fast, and we stopped skating completely until the last 5 minutes, where we turned it on.

they had two dangerous powerplays in the 1st (both off of penalties that CBJ players took in the Leafs zone) and some stretches of good 5-on-5 play. and then they "stopped skating completely" for a period like they do every. game. and yeah they could have easily tied it, though i don't recall three missed empty nets.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Coming back from a 2-goal deficit against a vezina-winning goalie, a suffocating defensive team, with no PPs is not an easy task, even for one of the best offenses in the league.

In fact, this is BY FAR, the best game we had against them this year. It was essentially a toss-up instead of utter humiliation.

Oh I see. They're a suffocating defensive team that makes it tough for sure. And no PPs, wow. Where should be a rule I guess that guarantees us a few PPs every time we fall behind by 2 goals I guess. Yeah, that would make sense. :laugh:

Oh yeah a Vezina winning goalie, almost missed that part. Imagine, anyone expecting us to compete against that. How is it possible that according to the bookies we were solid favorites going in to this game. Oh yeah that's right, you're on record as saying the Vegas lines are meaningless I almost forgot.

LMAO. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad