Post-Game Talk: At Least We Weren't Blown Out or Shut Out - CBJ 2, Leafs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
The second goal was really bad coverage and puck watching.

Franson takes his guy out, kadri and clarkson watch the puck and is slow to react. The puck comes back to the point and Franson missed his check.

Our defense is quite a disaster. I don't understand why our players can't play D.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
It's the other 20+ with a 3.20 GAA that will.

What about the other three seasons that hes played where hes been good for the Leafs? I don't think a stretch of bad games is going to overshadow what he can actually accomplish.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
James Reimer posted a .939 sv%. He had a great game. Can't believe some people are blaming him for the loss. Bobrovsky was a beast (.966 sv%) but the Blue Jackets did out-shoot and out-play the Leafs. So it's not like Bobrovsky stole the game for the Blue Jackets either.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
one thing that really makes me angry is how the Leafs players rarely, if ever, go after a guy for poking at or running our goalies.

It's open season and our supposed captain is a chicken.

Disgruntled Observer*

James Reimer posted a .939 sv%. He had a great game. Can't believe some people are blaming him for the loss. Bobrovsky was a beast (.966 sv%) but the Blue Jackets did out-shoot and out-play the Leafs. So it's not like Bobrovsky stole the game for the Blue Jackets either.

I agree.

Good post.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
4 games left against the west and all against power houses, SJ,LA,Ana,STlo

10 games in the east that are 4 point games , they either directly threaten our hold on a wild card spot or our spot in a conf top 3.

The only game left on the sched that might not have any direct impact is the NJ game.

That is the run down for march.

April, well 6 games , only 2 have a direct touch on our wild spot.

Buckle up folks this month is our, in or out playoff run.

If anything it's gonna be interesting.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Epitome of inconsistency. Pretty damn frustrating as a fan.

Great first period, terrible 2nd period, and a so-so third period. It was almost the bi-polar opposite in Montreal.

I think playing a "60 minute" game is a myth, but can we at least go through some sort of game where we start strong and actually finish strong? A game we really deserve to win? Seems like it's been quite sometime since we really took over a game like our playoff lives were at stake. This team either starts great and then crumbles as the game goes on, especially if they don't score on their chances, or they start off very slow and get down a few goals only to crawl back a bit.

Tired of the excuses too. Trade deadline jitters, Olympic break rust, bla bla bla; just play and stop whining. Hopefully this young team figures it out. It would be a shame to completely crumble, yet again, when we control our own fate to make the playoffs.

Last edited:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

Great first period, terrible 2nd period, and a so-so third period. It was almost the bi-polar opposite in Montreal.

i think the Leafs are pretty consistent in their ability to turn in games like last night's. they've done it over and over this season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Columbus plays a system and style that translate well to playoff style of success. Strong on the puck and the cycle, backed by the Vezina goalie.

This was a prefect example of a possession team effectively nullifying a rush team. Based on a regular season record head to head of 3-0 record and outscoring the Leafs 13-3 in the process.

I wish my Leafs were able to work as hard and play as smart a game as the Jackets as that would lead hope to potential success through strong defense.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I think playing a "60 minute" game is a myth, but can we at least go through some sort of game where we start strong and actually finish strong? A game we really deserve to win? Seems like it's been quite sometime since we really took over a game like our playoff lives were at stake. This team either starts great and then crumbles as the game goes on, especially if they don't score on their chances, or they start off very slow and get down a few goals only to crawl back a bit.

Tired of the excuses too. Trade deadline jitters, Olympic break rust, bla bla bla; just play and stop whining. Hopefully this young team figures it out. It would be a shame to completely crumble, yet again, when we control our own fate to make the playoffs.

I think sixty minutes has to do with the system rather than errorless play.

I watched the LA game last night and each and everyone one of their line and defensive pairings play the same exact way. They get pucks deep and forecheck ferociously and get a lot of pressure down low leading to turnovers.

Subban looked like a bottom pairing D last night and the habs were running scared last night.

Our lines are all very inconsistent...you never know what you will get from a player on our team and that's never good.

We just don't have the players that want to compete for those loose pucks, win board battles, forecheck consistently etc.

60 minute efforts do exist but the Leafs are more like a 20-30 minute team.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
This was a prefect example of a possession team effectively nullifying a rush team. Based on a regular season record head to head of 3-0 record and outscoring the Leafs 13-3 in the process.

i don't disagree but it's still amazing to me that the Leafs could have tied this game in the third. Bozak and Kadri both had point blank chances that they could just as easily have buried. the Leafs played really really poorly for the majority of that game and they were still in it mostly due to Reimer, and the eventually got some quick-strike type chances that they could have converted, god knows they do it often enough in other games. this is what the Leafs are. and the front office seems to think that it's a good enough thing to be, or at least a team that's moving in the right direction.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Which is a total joke. Going to overtime twice in a row, after being one of the hottest teams in the league means we drop 5 spots.

Ridiculous.
'

they lost to one of the worst teams in the league and a really beatable MTL team (no Price) and coughed up a lead in both. and then they were characteristically bad against CBJ.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i don't disagree but it's still amazing to me that the Leafs could have tied this game in the third. Bozak and Kadri both had point blank chances that they could just as easily have buried. the Leafs played really really poorly for the majority of that game and they were still in it mostly due to Reimer, and the eventually got some quick-strike type chances that they could have converted, god knows they do it often enough in other games. this is what the Leafs are. and the front office seems to think that it's a good enough thing to be, or at least a team that's moving in the right direction.

If you looked at the score you'd think it was a game that featured good defense.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
It's the other 20+ with a 3.20 GAA that will.

If anything posting a .913 save percentage with a 3.2 GAA just shows how pathetic our team is when it comes to shots on goal. :laugh:

I think Reimer has some value. Not as much as I'd like but he holds some. After getting bumped into and slashed with no retaliation last night I'd want out.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs have been playing similarly to how they were prior to the break. They have been unable to score on the PP in their last 6 games though. Leafs need to take advantage of their PP's to win.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Difference between being good verses lucky.

If you control the game at all aspects and lose that makes you good but unlucky.. Vice versa if you're consistently getting outplayed, outworked and outshot and allowing the underdog to prevail on occasion then you're more lucky then good.

Sustained consistent success favours good teams verses lucky ones, as good teams make their own luck as well.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
i think the Leafs are pretty consistent in their ability to turn in games like last night's. they've done it over and over this season.

And yet, we still have some Leaf fans on here telling us to relax!

This team just doesn't compete consistently from game to game, period to period, minute to minute. Udderly disgusting and unacceptable IMHO.

Nonis and Carlyle need to be held accountable at some point! A few trades need to take place today and tomorrow to send a message to the players as well.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Difference between being good verses lucky.

If you control the game at all aspects and lose that makes you good but unlucky.. Vice versa if you're consistently getting outplayed, outworked and outshot and allowing the underdog to prevail on occasion then you're more lucky then good.

Sustained consistent success favours good teams verses lucky ones, as good teams make their own luck as well.

yeah i get it. i just think it's important to remember that the Leafs play like they did last night in most of their games, even though they often end up with a win. i don't think this is a good team, certainly not good enough to justify how the front office has acted (Phaneuf Clarkson Bozak etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad