Post-Game Talk (GBU): At least Roch still has playoff hopes

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
What is your opinion on our goaltending? Would the playoff picture be different if it was better? Although Hutton and Ullmark are a big improvement over last season I don't think they're good enough. UPL is still a few years away. Should we look to upgrade or hope they improve? Ullmark should have some upside. I think this team is always going to give up a lot of scoring chances playing the Housley style.
I’m willing to give this tandem 2 more years while we improve the roster and team defence.
Hutton is what he is. If you play a great team game in front of him, he can be your everyday goalie. But we aren’t there as a team yet(in terms of playing a great team game every game) and he’s being exposed of that.

Ullmark has it in him to be a guy that can steal games when the team doesn’t have it. But he’s a first year full time NHLer so I’d like to see how he develops with Hutton tutoring him for 2 more years. Then bring in a true back up for Ullmark(if he’s shown growth and looks capable) and let UPL slow cook.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
What is your opinion on our goaltending? Would the playoff picture be different if it was better? Although Hutton and Ullmark are a big improvement over last season I don't think they're good enough. UPL is still a few years away. Should we look to upgrade or hope they improve? Ullmark should have some upside. I think this team is always going to give up a lot of scoring chances playing the Housley style.

I think Ullmark can develop into a decent number 1....not elite, but certainly not a liability either. I'd like to see us bring in a new goalie coach who really focuses on Ullmark's (and Robin Lehner's before him) tendency to leave room short side. He needs more control over his movement and better awareness of what openings are available to shooters. Andrew Allen should be fired after this season based on Lehner's improvement alone.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Well now that we are in the double digits in standings I am rooting for a meltdown of 5 wins and 14 losses the rest of the way. Get into the bottom 10 and pray we got some lotto luck and pick top 3.

Pegula needs to step in and fire Housley and hire Q.

buffalojedwardo

Jan 3, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach
had to watch the game on replay...alot of issues. sad to see the lack of scoring especially on Elliot. He looked shaky at best. We continued to have untimely breakdowns and poor decision making. I question our coached direction and its really annoying to see a lack of communication.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Only one team in NHL history has been in first place after Halloween (we lasted into December I think - extra embarrassing!) and missed the playoffs. It's us this year.

In the last few seasons, 5 of 8 teams to finish last in the conference one year made the playoffs the next. We are about to be 0 for 3 in that stretch.

There are lots of fun stats we can pull out of this season.

He's still young and the rebuild still has a lot of twists and turns left in it, no doubt...

...but it's been occurring to me lately that we may very well never see that day when we are a dominant hockey team with Jack Eichel as its leader.

Nothing is guaranteed in this league and you get nothing for free.

This entire thing probably couldn't be going any worse than it actually is.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
He's still young and the rebuild still has a lot of twists and turns left in it, no doubt...

...but it's been occurring to me lately that we may very well never see that day when we are a dominant hockey team with Jack Eichel as its leader.

Nothing is guaranteed in this league and you get nothing for free.

This entire thing probably couldn't be going any worse than it actually is.
It will have nothing to do with him, a guy who at 22 years old is a 95 point 1C. But you might be right.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I have had such a small amount of confidence in Hutton the last few months.
I feel like he was untouchable early on, now I feel like I am watching last year's Chad Johnson.

Side note, this team needs to run some Oklahoma drills in front of Hutton/Ullmark. I am sick of watching our team be afraid of the net on both ends of the rink.

Reactions: oldgoalie

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Wanted to say something positive.. Jack is truly a force and Mitts will be good and our D will make ys proud w time but..

Phil is an idiot for starting Hutton.. I know why but if we cant clear the front like we did against Tampa ... His short legs and that lame early goal can't happen as a starter..Sounds like a great compete guy but unless he makes that save and OK (another I root for) compete pays off with a goal we are sunk like tonight. I still cant look away as Jack wills me to watch..

The league is good enough to figure out Hutton and I understand Phil was right to shelter Ullmark.. but enough.

We have great prospects D and goalie coming to Roc next year who knows ..Time to see who can ccut it now

We are only the the ritual sacrifice of a randomly selected KHL player ( Sorry you are worse form of Hutton and it doesnt matter thst you care. sign the 47 year old panther) .. aqhuiring a power forward w speed and another sniper fron competing.. Yes I believe that..

Terrible lost first game for #62 but loved his hit and his honest comments.. But waaaughh !! I wanted the playoffs nowww !! Since I had my lifetime allotment of capt jack Im going to sleep.. peace to all of us ...

"And I say to my sisters and my brothers , keep the faith.. "...." We can all say together , We have overcome, when we make to the promised land".

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
This is certainly a waste of a prime Eichel year. You don't get many of those. It's possibly a waste of the chance to re-sign Skinner as well. I don't really know what to say at this point, it always makes me wonder if there is just a culture of losing that permeates Buffalo as a sports town. The Bills falling ass-backwards into a first round exit last season doesn't make up for what I think is just a loser mentality players get when they come here.

In terms of positives, I do think Mittelstadt will break out next year if he strengthens up. Not sure if it'll do us any good but I think he's got a Connolly-type style that could at least make him a serviceable 2C. I don't fault Botterill for letting him get his licks early.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
They need an upgrade.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This is certainly a waste of a prime Eichel year. You don't get many of those. It's possibly a waste of the chance to re-sign Skinner as well. I don't really know what to say at this point, it always makes me wonder if there is just a culture of losing that permeates Buffalo as a sports town. The Bills falling ass-backwards into a first round exit last season doesn't make up for what I think is just a loser mentality players get when they come here.

In terms of positives, I do think Mittelstadt will break out next year if he strengthens up. Not sure if it'll do us any good but I think he's got a Connolly-type style that could at least make him a serviceable 2C. I don't fault Botterill for letting him get his licks early.

I fault him entirely. I’m sorry but if I’m grooming my first pick as a GM to be the other Top 6 scoring center, I’d rather have him being handled by Taylor than Housley and do it slowly and in a manner to make sure he’s ready. Its not as if he showed to be easily above other guys in terms of showing to be ready for NHL center duties.

His preseason and training camp was bad. Having him playing in the NHL instead of the AHL, IMO, is as bad as thinking Nylander should not play anymore junior games after being drafted.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Philly announcer tossed out stat that only 2 teams in the past decade have come back from down 6 points in the standings this late in the season to make the playoffs. That's crazy.
Well, up until this year no team that ever sat first overall after 20 games has missed the playoffs...

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Well now that we are in the double digits in standings I am rooting for a meltdown of 5 wins and 14 losses the rest of the way. Get into the bottom 10 and pray we got some lotto luck and pick top 3.

Pegula needs to step in and fire Housley and hire Q.
You think we can win 5 more games?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If Botts doesnt fire Housley then I am ready for him to join Phil in the unemployment line next summer. Such a stupid move not to hire Trotz immediately this summer instead the mediocre Isles reaped the rewards.

The Canes will end their playoff drought leaving the Barf Sabres as the longest playoff drought. So sick of the owners, coach and management.

Phil coaches as well as he played defense in his career aka horribly. No emotion. No adjustments. I would be thrilled to have Lindy back and I was never a huge Ruff fan. But at least he had fire. Phil is a sissy wimp just like he was as a player.

Reactions: JackTheRipper

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That actually looks nice, unlike a certain hockey club.
Yep, symmetrical, balanced, even, uniform, no holes.

G: The obnoxious Sabres fans who materialized during the streak have vaporized.
B: I think I have SAD (Sobotka Affective Disorder). We're blocking out the sun by firing so many players up there.
@Buffaloed, winning the internets one Sabre loss at a time.

I'm actually glad the Sabres haven't had goaltending steal a disproportionate number of games for them. Makes the inept middle-six, bad in-game coaching, slow starts, lack of team cohesion, and lack of forward support to the defense all the more noticeable.

G: the 60 day deadline for Berglund to file a grievance should have expired.
to be fair, Berglund's allegedly had some missed deadline issues before...

Truly, weren't ready against the Rags, devils or panthers when will they be ready ?
Saddest thing is when they play with jump and play together / cohesively, they can run with Tampa, Washington, Toronto, etc.

Time to start a gofundme to buy a billboard calling for Phil to get sacked. Worked for the Islander fans in getting rid of Garth.
(and)

$4900-5500 for 4 weeks on the digital billboard over the 90 heading downtown. Already looked it up when I was thinking about doing this a few weeks ago.
Someone DM Eichel that info. You'd probably receive cash, within the hour.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Another interesting stat that Jeremy Roenick pointed out in the pre-game show. Buffalo hasn't won back to back games in regulation since October.
That is well known. But really, this stat should be a fireable offense on it's own. No coach should survive that, no matter his roster, which really isn't that bad if players are used properly.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
They could have exchange players with Rochester all year instead of gifting spots to Mittelstadt and Thompson no matter how bad they play.
Culture change and accountability are just words without any substance like the product on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad