Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Wow you 'Caught me' Tarasenko makes 7.5
Schwartz makes 5.3

Kucherov makes Unknown....

What do you think he is worth?

Answer that question and you prove my point.

You said Kucherov is worth 7.5M, then in your post post (with the arrows) you said he's worth 6.5-7M (because you realized Kucherov isn't really equivalent to Tarasenko so you reduced his $$).

You still haven't replied to me comparing Schwartz and Kucherov's numbers from the previous season, how big was the gap between them?

w/e this is a waste of time anyways.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
You said Kucherov is worth 7.5M, then in your post post (with the arrows) you said he's worth 6.5-7M (because you realized Kucherov isn't really equivalent to Tarasenko so you reduced his $$).

You still haven't replied to me comparing Schwartz and Kucherov's numbers from the previous season, how big was the gap between them?

Kucherov improved, and Schwartz got worse.

Kucherov upped his value IMO.

You find me fans of most teams and i would say they will offer at WORST 6.5, and maybe at MOST 7.5. (thats my range that i completely made up)(since he has no salary right now).

But lets forget this argument and clarify with

I Believe Kucherov is a superior player to Schwartz and i dont think ANY TB fan would agree to the trade. MAYBE 1 year ago they would. NOT NOW. NOT anymore! Now you find me any fan other than yourself who thinks Schwartz is a worthwhile trade for Kucherov. Then good for you. I do not think you find many that agree with your original assertion

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-goalie-equipment-changes-tangled-debate/

Via text, agent Scott Greenspun declined to comment, but I do believe that he has met with at least one team about an offer sheet for client Nikita Kucherov. Can’t get 100 per cent confirmation on the club, so I’m not going to guess. He’s a terrific player who had a strong postseason performance, but will someone actually do it? There’s a big difference between talking and doing.

2. Greenspun’s refusal to talk is typical of the current RFA disputes. Both teams and agents are keeping quiet, not wanting to inflame their situations. Here’s the best I can glean with Kucherov. It doesn’t sound like there’s been too much movement here. Everyone knows Tampa’s cap situation. After seeing both Victor Hedman and Steven Stamkos take less money to stay, the Lightning are undoubtedly asking Kucherov to do the same, especially since he’s not close to being unrestricted. Whenever a Russian is involved, you wonder about the KHL, but players at the World Cup said they think he wants to stay in Tampa and not go there. That could change if he gets angry, but it’s not his preference.

Hi guys, English is my second language so I am not sure if I understand this correctly. Can you help me out?

This is how I understand it. The agent calls up this reporter and let him know that he wants to be anonymous and tips him of that some phantom team have contacted him about his client. Then the reporter -- who is so glad about someone contacting HIM -- wants to protect his big source, and starts texting him to get an official confirmation "blink blink blink". Then he overdoes the smoke screens in the article.

Is this about right?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Kucherov improved, and Schwartz got worse.

Kucherov upped his value IMO.

You find me fans of most teams and i would say they will offer at WORST 6.5, and maybe at MOST 7.5. (thats my range that i completely made up)(since he has no salary right now).

But lets forget this argument and clarify with

I Believe Kucherov is a superior player to Schwartz and i dont think ANY TB fan would agree to the trade. MAYBE 1 year ago they would. NOT NOW. NOT anymore! Now you find me any fan other than yourself who thinks Schwartz is a worthwhile trade for Kucherov. Then good for you. I do not think you find many that agree with your original assertion

Schwartz shattered his ankle. No **** he's not going to look like himself immediately afterwords. I dont care about the value or either player but your painting a skewed version of Schwartz. He's capable of being a 30G/70pt player with excellent defensive abilites.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
They could but it would be stupid because they would lose the same amount of picks as offering 8 ×5 years.

No because then it's not four firsts when you give 7x7.

At something like 8 mil, 1 year, you pay 2 firsts and a second and third. In other words it's something New Jersey could do but not the lottery Carolina.

TB can't match unless they lose a whole significant player and next year Kuch is RFA again.

Kuch on the other hand gets a big raise and can still get 7/7 next year but this time with his new team.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

At something like 8 mil, 1 year, you pay 2 firsts and a second and third. In other words it's something New Jersey could do but not the lottery Carolina.

TB can't match unless they lose a whole significant player and next year Kuch is RFA again.

Kuch on the other hand gets a big raise and can still get 7/7 next year but this time with his new team.

7 x 7 = 4 first round pics as comp... (total long term amount divided by 5 years to determine restricted free agent cap hit)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
7 x 7 = 4 first round pics as comp... (total long term amount divided by 5 years to determine restricted free agent cap hit)

This is correct.

If term is greater than 5 years, the total is divided by 5. For example, 7 x 7 = 49 million. 49 million will then be divided by 5. 49/5 = 9.8.

9.8 is above the 9.1 threshold for 4 first round picks. Thus, compensation would be four 1st rounders.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
So a team offers him 5x7.5. Would he take it? Would TB match that? The compensation would only be 1st+2nd+3rd.

Would he take 7x6.5? Would TB match that? In this case the compensation would be 1st+1st+2nd+3rd.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
So a team offers him 5x7.5. Would he take it? Would TB match that? The compensation would only be 1st+2nd+3rd.

Would he take 7x6.5? Would TB match that? In this case the compensation would be 1st+1st+2nd+3rd.

First choice is the one to try and get him. 2nd is stupid to me.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

The "lottery Carolina" finished better than NJ in the standings last year.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
so in other words, if a team offer sheets him it should be for 5yrs max? because in that case you can go into the 7+'s and 8+'s and still be safe of the 4 1st's. if you go for a 6th year it pretty much guts you of those picks.

right?

8per for 5yrs = 8.0
8per for 6yrs (divided by 5) = 9.6 (passing the 9.1 mark)

?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
so in other words, if a team offer sheets him it should be for 5yrs max? because in that case you can go into the 7+'s and 8+'s and still be safe of the 4 1st's. if you go for a 6th year it pretty much guts you of those picks.

right?

8per for 5yrs = 8.0
8per for 6yrs (divided by 5) = 9.6 (passing the 9.1 mark)

?

yes.

no matter what the term is on the deal, the amount as far as compensation is concerned is the total dollars divided by 5 (maximum)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Gaudreau signing 6 years at 6.75M should set the bar for Kucherov(I would say 6-6.5ish, same term)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gaudreau signing 6 years at 6.75M should set the bar for Kucherov(I would say 6-6.5ish, same term)

Kucherov is on his way back to TB (literally), so it looks like the deal is done. Probably less than that.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
yes.

no matter what the term is on the deal, the amount as far as compensation is concerned is the total dollars divided by 5 (maximum)

That's not true. The total per year for compensation purposes is the total salary over the contract divided by the lesser of the contract term or five years. So a four year contract is divided by four, a five year contract is divided by five and a six year contract is divided by five.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That's not true. The total per year for compensation purposes is the total salary over the contract divided by the lesser of the contract term or five years. So a four year contract is divided by four, a five year contract is divided by five and a six year contract is divided by five.

yes, I realize that. thats why I said a MAXIMUM of 5 years.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
I wish people would stop saying Hedman and Stamkos could have gotten more money elsewhere, or that they took a hometown discount. It is patently false. Due to the 38% tax rate in Tamp, they got more money in their pocket than if they signed elsewhere.

For example, in Toronto the tax rate is about 55%. If the Leafs would have offered him 7 years at 12 million, Stamkos would have actually made 37.8 million. With his "hometown discount", Stamkos will make 42.16 million.He did not leave any money on the table, did not take a lower contract, or give Tampa a deal. Her got the absolute maximum he could possibly get. The same is true of Hedman.

If Kucherov manages to get 6 million out of Tampa, he will be making MORE money than Gaudreau by quite a bit, not less. 6 million is actually 3.72 million in Tampa as opposed to less than 3 million in most Canadian cities. Tampa is not getting any deals or discounts, Yzerman is simply using Tampa's favourable tax rates to keep his team together.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
I wish people would stop saying Hedman and Stamkos could have gotten more money elsewhere, or that they took a hometown discount. It is patently false. Due to the 38% tax rate in Tamp, they got more money in their pocket than if they signed elsewhere.

For example, in Toronto the tax rate is about 55%. If the Leafs would have offered him 7 years at 12 million, Stamkos would have actually made 37.8 million. With his "hometown discount", Stamkos will make 42.16 million.He did not leave any money on the table, did not take a lower contract, or give Tampa a deal. Her got the absolute maximum he could possibly get. The same is true of Hedman.

If Kucherov manages to get 6 million out of Tampa, he will be making MORE money than Gaudreau by quite a bit, not less. 6 million is actually 3.72 million in Tampa as opposed to less than 3 million in most Canadian cities. Tampa is not getting any deals or discounts, Yzerman is simply using Tampa's favourable tax rates to keep his team together.

Thank you, thank you. Finally someone gets it. This is the biggest myth going. For players it’s all about the take home pay, and the only teams that share Tampa’s take home pay advantage are Nashville and Dallas and they weren’t in on Stamkos. I’m not just blaming Canadian sports writers, Tampa fans and media are the worst at perpetuating the myth and they should know better. Even Stamkos tried to pretend he left a lot on the table. Next year Hedman will be the highest paid Dman in the NHL for take home pay outside of Subban’s crazy contract and Subban just got a big take home pay raise.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

The players have to pay taxes in each city they play in. So if they played against the stars they would pay taxes in texas. Its more complicated than one t4. They also probably have high paid accountants that know how to hide their money. More money is always more money you just be more creative with it.

Read this Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad