Friedman: At least one team has met Kucherov about an offer sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-goalie-equipment-changes-tangled-debate/

Via text, agent Scott Greenspun declined to comment, but I do believe that he has met with at least one team about an offer sheet for client Nikita Kucherov. Can’t get 100 per cent confirmation on the club, so I’m not going to guess. He’s a terrific player who had a strong postseason performance, but will someone actually do it? There’s a big difference between talking and doing.

2. Greenspun’s refusal to talk is typical of the current RFA disputes. Both teams and agents are keeping quiet, not wanting to inflame their situations. Here’s the best I can glean with Kucherov. It doesn’t sound like there’s been too much movement here. Everyone knows Tampa’s cap situation. After seeing both Victor Hedman and Steven Stamkos take less money to stay, the Lightning are undoubtedly asking Kucherov to do the same, especially since he’s not close to being unrestricted. Whenever a Russian is involved, you wonder about the KHL, but players at the World Cup said they think he wants to stay in Tampa and not go there. That could change if he gets angry, but it’s not his preference.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
They'd be stupid not to. Who knows, maybe it will work out in TB's favour. If someone signs him to a 7x6.5M deal, I'd be quite content with matching that. On the other hand, just because teams are interested in signing him to an offer sheet doesn't mean he has to do it.

I just hope this doesn't lead to some insane offer sheet where a team throws up a ridiculous signing bonus, ala what Philly tried to do with Shea Weber.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not many teams could afford that. Imagine if Buffalo pulled that off and an Eichel/Kucherov partnership. They could definitely make it work long-term, I have a feeling it was them.

Nevermind, forgot about Risto.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They'd be stupid not to. Who knows, maybe it will work out in TB's favour. If someone signs him to a 7x6.5M deal, I'd be quite content with matching that. On the other hand, just because teams are interested in signing him to an offer sheet doesn't mean he has to do it.

I just hope this doesn't lead to some insane offer sheet where a team throws up a ridiculous signing bonus, ala what Philly tried to do with Shea Weber.

If I was a team I would give him a contract for 7.3M(just before it hits that next tier where it's 2 first round picks) a year and have the contract end when he becomes a UFA

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
If I was a team I would give him a contract for 7.3M(just before it hits that next tier where it's 2 first round picks) a year and have the contract end when he becomes a UFA
Kucherov is 23 years old, and I believe he becomes an UFA at age 27. I don't see him signing a four year deal. There isn't enough job security for him, in case he suffers a concussion. Every young player wants longer deals for that reason.

I totally see the Devils doing it
I think they've learned from the Russian experiment. There's a reason they traded 9th overall a few years back to get Schneider instead of drafting Nichushkin.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Teams can negotiate with other teams players now?

Technically he's a free agent, so he's been free to talk to all teams when free agency opened, Tampa just has the right to match or receive compensation if they don't match.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd rather have Kucherov than two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd. This is a pretty ideal scenario for an offer sheet. Tampa would have to gut their team to match say, 8 mil.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Kucherov is 23 years old, and I believe he becomes an UFA at age 27. I don't see him signing a four year deal. There isn't enough job security for him, in case he suffers a concussion. Every young player wants longer deals for that reason.

Actually looking at it, it would only be a 3 year deal(The Kuch will be 24 by July 1, 2017). Would be hard passing up the chance to hit the jackpot at 27.

Let's not forget that a team can resign him 2 years into the deal

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
I totally see the Devils doing it

Yup New Jersey add's Kuch to their lineup with Taylor Hall.

Offering $7.5m per x whatever, give up a 1st/2nd/3rd they got a lot of those the next two drafts.
elk9pzY.jpg

They probably tried to with TB but nothing came of it, so now they go the next logical route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad