Sportsnet: At least one rival team made a serious trade inquiry with the Leafs about Leivo

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
EDIT: This new site embeds videos on the article page for some reason. It is not the video I want to show, try..

Relevant quote

At least one rival team made a serious trade inquiry with the Leafs, but found the asking price to be prohibitively high.

That’s the toughest part: Toronto values what he brings. Leivo was protected from Vegas in the NHL Expansion Draft and won’t be parted with by this organization lightly. However, absent an injury, he appears to be facing incredibly long odds to dress for the Oct. 4 season opener in Winnipeg.

“This is the hardest camp I’ve been at in all my years,” said Leivo.

Leivo seems to be on the outside again in camp. Who do you think that could be, and do we see a deal coming soon?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Can you state the source or provide a link?

Honestly, with out depth, I'd be thrilled if we could get a 2nd for him... but would even accept a 3rd...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Can you state the source or provide a link?

Honestly, with out depth, I'd be thrilled if we could get a 2nd for him... but would even accept a 3rd...

When you paste the link, it automatically changes it to embed that video. It's from Sportsnet. I'll try to break it up with a space.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/josh-leivo-faces-uphill-climb-make-leafs-despite-strong-showing/

gotta fix it to get it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Must be the Habs. They're desparate. And Leivo really isn't NHL caliber.

He's absolutely NHL caliber. 10 points in 13 games last year, 5 goals (no assists) in 12 games the year before. He has good NHL tools and a solid nose for the net. He's not going to be much more than a middle sixer, but he's good enough to play a regular shift in the NHL and pick up some points. His issue is that the Leafs have 15 or so forwards who are good enough to play regular shifts and 12 who are better than Leivo. A team trading for him could see him put up 20 goals if he is given some PP time.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Leivo is a great third line player. We just have a ton of those type of players.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I really like Leivo but there is just no room for him in our lineup. Even if we lose JVR and Komarov to FA/trade he still would have to beat out Connor Brown and Kasperi Kapanen for a spot in our top 9 next year. I can definitely see him scoring 15-20 like another user said, unfortunately it won't be with us.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Leivo likely is an everyday NHLer in some/many places. Given the loosely hanging damocles-sword of waivers over him, I'm not entirely sure a "prohibitively high asking price" makes any sense, if he really is on the outside looking in again. That said, not much of a reason for the Leafs to jump the gun; just ride out the preseason in case a last-minute injury happens and a sudden Leivo-shaped hole appears. Whether they get a 4th now or a 6th the day they'd waive him doesn't really make a noteworthy difference.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs fans, don't get excited about the returns for a player who hasn't proved himself in the NHL after four pro seasons and is likely to to put on waivers. It is would be beneficial to the Leafs to trade Lupul (if he's on LTIR) and get cap benefits (performance bonuses) for this year. Vegas needs forwards, Leivo and Johnson both who have NHL potential and Lupul for a 7th rounder. If the Leafs can some cap benefits certainly better than a 3rd rounder or so.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
This is exactly why I want to trade JVR. We'd gain a valuable asset and make room for a player we see a future with.
I just don't understand why Leafs fan want to trade good players....JVR, Bozak, Komarov for futures. Most teams and the Leafs included are in a "win mode now", so trading good players, even with are upcoming UFAs for futures is a big detriment to the current playoff bound teams. Many Leaf fans, more than any other fan base seem obsessed with "trading players before they walk." Oh, the other obsession, obtaining a RHD at any cost.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Leafs fans, don't get excited about the returns for a player who hasn't proved himself in the NHL after four pro seasons and is likely to to put on waivers. It is would be beneficial to the Leafs to trade Lupul (if he's on LTIR) and get cap benefits (performance bonuses) for this year. Vegas needs forwards, Leivo and Johnson both who have NHL potential and Lupul for a 7th rounder. If the Leafs can some cap benefits certainly better than a 3rd rounder or so.
Why would we trade Leivo and Johnson right now? I don't really understand. People have clamored for real depth for years, we have it now and people are antsy to trade it away.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Why would we trade Leivo and Johnson right now? I don't really understand. People have clamored for real depth for years, we have it now and people are antsy to trade it away.
Why trade Leivo? Well as suggested, he might not clear waivers, and he certainly hasn't guaranteed a spot in the Leafs. I'm not getting antsy but I do understand the cap situation, and trading Johnson (the sweetener for taking LTIR Lupul) to prevent some performance bonus carryover into next year is well worth it. Leafs have "depth" on their wings, so Johnson and Leivo are certainly expendable.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Why trade Leivo? Well as suggested, he might not clear waivers, and he certainly hasn't guaranteed a spot in the Leafs. I'm not getting antsy but I do understand the cap situation, and trading Johnson (the sweetener for taking LTIR Lupul) to prevent some performance bonus carryover into next year is well worth it. Leafs have "depth" on their wings, so Johnson and Leivo are certainly expendable.
They protected him in the expansion draft, they’re not gonna waive him. He’ll be the extra forward, rotating into the lineup on a semi regular basis, until something clears up/someone gets hurt.

And what? Trade Johnsson to get rid of a guy who’s got no effect on our cap?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Good to hear. I've stuck by him long enough, there's a spot there next year, though it may only be 4th line, and there's going to still be huge competition, looks like they still like him too. Issue is he needs 39 games this year to remain RFA. But 1st, keeping him, 2nd protecting him, 3rd not wanting to trade him cheap, things are pointing to them wanting to keep him, and eventually hope that means he gets a real chance. God knows he deserves one.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So 2 NHL ready players...and a guy who doesn't negatively affect our cap for a 7th? Sure....:huh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leivo is a good player to have to fill in for injuries, and I think come next season when JVR, Komarov and Bozak are all potentially gone, there will be a spot for him.

If a team is willing to overpay for him, than obviously move him, Andreas Johnsson has shown he's a quality player, not too mention Kapanen. Having those two in the minors, and Brown on the 4th line, gives us plenty of depth for our scoring lines in case of injury. It also allows us to keep both Fehr and Moore on the roster, in case of injury or just need a shake up on the 3rd or 4th lines.

Ultimately, I'd value Leivo around a 3rd round pick, however I think a team would need to give the Leafs a 2nd to entice them to move him. It's more than Leivo is worth right now, but the Leafs currently have no reason to take away from their depth, so if a team needs scoring bad enough, they may be willing to pay up

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm just not that big on Leivo from what I've seen. His skating is sub par and in this day and age, that's an issue unless you excel at other stuff. He doesn't use his body effectively enough for a guy his size. That said, I do think he has some offensive skill to him and maybe with the right team in the right situation he could be effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad