TSN: At Least 1 NHL team has asked the Maple Leafs for permission to talk with Brian Burke

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Burke is currently the highest paid unemployed NHL executive in the game.

He makes more money not to work than most other teams NHL execs are paid to work.

This will be a huge factor in future job opportunities as Burke will be taking a pay cut to go back to work.
Yeah, for sure. Will probably wait a year and get in the mix for a GM job/position to take over a GM spot fairly easily. He has a good track record and did a lot of good for this organization that many don't seem to realize. He's a pretty attractive offer for a team looking to overhaul their organization & add a quality GM. It just doesn't really make sense for him to jump right back into things considering he's still on payroll and clearly still doing hockey-related stuff in the meantime for USA hockey, talking to scouts and the like. Even if after next year he doesn't get any good offers with teams he could still probably quite easily land a short-term position with the league or with TSN, something along those lines. He's not going to disappear like Rotten Ronnie.

LloydChristmas*

I wouldn't want to see Brian Burke go to Boston. I was joking around that Brian Burke was a Boston Bruins spy intent on ruining the Leafs when he made the Kessel deal and if he got fired one day he'd get a soft landing in the Bruins organization. There would be something poetically unjust about him teaming up with Chiarelli over there and having a cigar over how the two of them basically built the Bruins.

Built the Bruins? By giving them a kid who scored 22 points the year they won the cup? They got Hamilton and Seguin. We got Kessel. Despite popular opinion, the trade worked two ways. He hardly built the Bruins. Besides, I don't think it'd be unjust in the slightest. The Leafs chose to let him go - it's not like he bailed on us with the intent of teaming up with Chiarelli.

mikebel111*

I think Washington makes the most sense. I have all respect for burkie

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Curious what kind of compensation we'd get for this? Did we not get something when Dudley went to Montreal?

As others have mentioned, there is no compensation for executives anymore. I found it interesting (ironic?) to learn that one of the last such transactions was when Nonis traded Carlyle to Anaheim in exchange for a 2nd rounder when Burke was GM of the Ducks. The kibosh on such trades was put in by the league soon after.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
He is getting paid $3 mil a year by MLSE while his current contract is running..

Once he joins another organization MLSE will be off the hook financially and more importantly Burke is going to take a pay cut to move on.

So that will be a big factor is all this even if MLSE were to give permission for other teams to contact him.

It would be reasonable for MLSE to still cover any shortfall between any new contract and his existing MLSE contract. MLSE gets some relief and Burke remains whole...I think this kind of arrangement goes on all the time.

Whydidijoin*

Really? You think Burke is a "Tried that. Couldn't quite do it. Never gonna try it again." type? I don't. I think he's likely to tackle a situation similar to the Leaf one to prove he can do it.
He already proved he could do it here.

And owners proceeded to fire him for it. If he does end up going to another rebuilding team, you know he is going to make damn sure he knows what the owners are like.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Sun: Brian Burke wanted as a scout

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/20/brian-burke-wanted-as-a-scout-source

1322887382911_ORIGINAL.jpg

TORONTO - Brian Burke could indeed be working for another NHL team by the end of the season.

A source familiar with the situation says Burke is being sought for a scouting position with another club and that Leafs permission has been granted for that team to approach the fired president and general manager, let go just prior to the start of this season.

“I think (the Leafs) want to give him that chance to be a general manager again elsewhere,†the source told the Toronto Sun.

Burke has been around the rink scouting for USA Hockey of late. Under the terms of his departure, he has an advisory role to the Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment board of directors, but does not have a say in hockey decisions.

Apr 1, 2010
YOU look at this team right now and MLSE looks like fools for firing him.

YOu can finally see his effect on the team.

BEst of luck to him. Whoever hires him knows that by the time he wears out his welcome Burke will have great pieces in place for the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad