TSN: At Least 1 NHL team has asked the Maple Leafs for permission to talk with Brian Burke

Whydidijoin*

You don't get compensation for executives anymore. Ironically, this was something Burke was trying to implement again.

This team will miss him greatly, and we will benefit from his brilliant work for years to come.

Wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up. Hopefully they treat him with more respect than Rogers and Bell did.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For sure. And Burke will have a clause in any non-GM contract that will give him an out to take any future GM opportunity. I'm sure he would want to move on from MLSE.

The only reason Burke is still attached to MLSE is because he is still under contract to the organization.

The other day, while Burke was attending the game at MLSE he was sitting with the other teams scouts and not even in the MLSE Leafs box. So clearly its an awkward situation as to where Burke remains in the organization in a state of limbo.

I can't see MLSE having any problem granting other teams permission to talk to him and severing all ties likely in the best interest of both parties all things considered.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm thinking Dallas, Columbus, Ottawa or possibly Colorado. Probably a President or Advisors role, like what Cliff Fletcher has right now.

Any Team that brings him in will immediately put their GM on the hot seat. Colorado could be an option but I doubt the other 3.

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
Boston would make sense from his perspective, but I doubt the feeling would be mutual as Boson seems to be doing fine without him.

Hmm, Winnipeg? They seem to enjoy our previously used items.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Doubt he goes to another team with that much garbage. Look what happened here in Toronto.

Really? You think Burke is a "Tried that. Couldn't quite do it. Never gonna try it again." type? I don't. I think he's likely to tackle a situation similar to the Leaf one to prove he can do it.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
The other day, while Burke was attending the game at MLSE he was sitting with the other teams scouts and not even in the MLSE Leafs box. So clearly its an awkward situation as to where Burke remains in the organization in a state of limbo.
good for Burke or MLSE

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think Burke has too much pride to accept anything less than an offer to be the GM of a NHL club, and rightfully so. The right opportunity will present itself eventually.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Great points. Boston seems like the perfect fit for Burke. He can definitely bring something to the table there. Also, some of his kids live there and he has a lot of history in the area. I'd actually like to see that for Brian.

I wouldn't want to see Brian Burke go to Boston. I was joking around that Brian Burke was a Boston Bruins spy intent on ruining the Leafs when he made the Kessel deal and if he got fired one day he'd get a soft landing in the Bruins organization. There would be something poetically unjust about him teaming up with Chiarelli over there and having a cigar over how the two of them basically built the Bruins.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Burke has too much pride to accept anything less than an offer to be the GM of a NHL club, and rightfully so. The right opportunity will present itself eventually.

He is getting paid $3 mil a year by MLSE while his current contract is running..

Once he joins another organization MLSE will be off the hook financially and more importantly Burke is going to take a pay cut to move on.

So that will be a big factor is all this even if MLSE were to give permission for other teams to contact him.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I thought Dreger hinted that Burke would be hired in more of a scouting role? I was changing my kids diaper at the time and wasn't paying attention that closely. If it is a scouting role, he's leaving for the same work JFJ found when he was let go as GM. Who would have thought that would happen when Burke first came here?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Her moved here, since he wanted to be back east. Columbus would be
the furthest west he would go. Can't see Wang paying for him either.

I can see Washington or Philly at this point.
Secondly would he really go for a downgrade position?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Burke carries a price tag too hefty for an organization as notoriously cheap as the Avalanche.

I didn't realize they were cheap.

Not sure what Burke would look for but I'd imagine he'd be taking a pay cut anywhere he went.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416418

There's a big-name free agent out there by the name of Brian Burke. Have any teams expressed interest in hiring Burke in some capacity?

Dreger: At least one team has reached out to the Toronto Maple Leafs to ask permission to speak with Brian Burke. Now, what would his role be? It would either be in a consulting or a scouting capacity, perhaps in the front office.

Brian Burke is looking for a bridge opportunity, an opportunity that may lead to a job with an organization as their next general manager. So teams are kicking tires on Burke.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Burke carries a price tag too hefty for an organization as notoriously cheap as the Avalanche.

Burke is currently the highest paid unemployed NHL executive in the game.

He makes more money not to work than most other teams NHL execs are paid to work.

This will be a huge factor in future job opportunities as Burke will be taking a pay cut to go back to work.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
I didn't realize they were cheap.

Not sure what Burke would look for but I'd imagine he'd be taking a pay cut anywhere he went.
They really are. Barely reach the floor, cheap unqualified coach, long history of undervaluing players and taking a take it or leave it approach

Scott Young, Sandis Ozolinsh, Valeri Kamensky, Chris Simon, Chris Drury, nearly Joe Sakic, Craig Anderson, Ryan O'Reilly, etc etc.

Doubt Burke would go there & doubt they'd be willing to pay Burke what he would expect. Plus I doubt he wants to go that far west.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
I think he could really help Edmonton. A team with very little/weak D and suspect goaltending.

He always tries to build from the net out, something their GM seems allergic to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad