TSN: At Least 1 NHL team has asked the Maple Leafs for permission to talk with Brian Burke

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/304078984797360128

Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger

As reported on Insider Trading...at least 1 team has asked TML for permission to talk with B.Burke for a non-gm opportunity. #TSN

8:04 PM - Feb 19, 2013

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/304079237873295360

Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger

It makes sense Burke would consider any option that might lead to a GM job with the right organization...kind of a bridge role to start.

8:05 PM - Feb 19, 2013

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/304085316275421184

Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger

For those who missed it. Here's the link to tonights Insider Trading.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/868561/clip/0 #TSN

8:29 PM - Feb 19, 2013

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
As reported on Insider Trading...at least 1 team has asked TML for permission to talk with B.Burke for a non-gm opportunity. #TSN

KPower

Jan 17, 2012

Which means a current GM who is barely hanging on to his job will most likely not hire Burke.

Probably Boston IMO.

LloydChristmas*

Which means a current GM who is barely hanging on to his job will most likely not hire Burke.

Probably Boston IMO.

Great points. Boston seems like the perfect fit for Burke. He can definitely bring something to the table there. Also, some of his kids live there and he has a lot of history in the area. I'd actually like to see that for Brian.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
For a non GM role I could see Philly or Dallas coming for him

But I wouldn't be surprised if Washington is looking at him right now for the GM job.

LloydChristmas*

I just can't see Holmgren going out and hiring Burke right now. I'd think that whatever franchise is considering hiring him for a non-GM role, it would be one that is stable right now. Like KPower insinuated, one with a successful GM who is merely looking to add to his team's front office/management depth and perhaps extend a helping hand to a guy who has demonstrated professionalism towards their club in the past. Burke can bring experience in all facets of NHL management. Despite the circus that was the Kessel trade, he actually seemed to somehow praise Chiarelli and the Bruins for having elicited such a great return. It seems like such a great fit in Boston.

I could to a lesser extent see Nieuwendyk inquiring about Burke. It makes sense - Joe could use the experience in public relations, drafting, and communication with other managers, but it's not quite as great a fit as Boston seems to be. Just a fan's opinion.

The Caps are another possible suitor, but McPhee isn't exactly comfortable right now. Washington is struggling - Ovi is not what he used to be, and despite the firepower they have, they're nowhere near a complete team. It would logically follow that owners are starting to think a change in management could benefit the on-ice product of their club. Would McPhee really bring in a guy with Burke's pedigree while his job security is so unstable? I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I can see Burkie heading to the Caps. GMGM has been horrible and has really brought nothing to the table to help his team get out of their rut. Another option is NYI given the lack of anything from either Garth Snow or that greedy president Wang.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I can see Burkie heading to the Caps. GMGM has been horrible and has really brought nothing to the table to help his team get out of their rut. Another option is NYI given the lack of anything from either Garth Snow or that greedy president Wang.

hire burke ......kessel for backstrom rumors start tommorrow :laugh:

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
I just can't see Holmgren going out and hiring Burke right now. I'd think that whatever franchise is considering hiring him for a non-GM role, it would be one that is stable right now. Like KPower insinuated, one with a successful GM who is merely looking to add to his team's front office/management depth and perhaps extend a helping hand to a guy who has demonstrated professionalism towards their club in the past. Burke can bring experience in all facets of NHL management. Despite the circus that was the Kessel trade, he actually seemed to somehow praise Chiarelli and the Bruins for having elicited such a great return. It seems like such a great fit in Boston.

I could to a lesser extent see Nieuwendyk inquiring about Burke. It makes sense - Joe could use the experience in public relations, drafting, and communication with other managers, but it's not quite as great a fit as Boston seems to be. Just a fan's opinion.

The Caps are another possible suitor, but McPhee isn't exactly comfortable right now. Washington is struggling - Ovi is not what he used to be, and despite the firepower they have, they're nowhere near a complete team. It would logically follow that owners are starting to think a change in management could benefit the on-ice product of their club. Would McPhee really bring in a guy with Burke's pedigree while his job security is so unstable? I doubt it.

Would the GM be hiring brian burke though or would this be coming straight from the owner of the club?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
My moneys on Washington.

The owner can do the hire. Doesnt have to be the GM. Like Feaster in Calgary. Or like JD in Columbus. Burke could be hired as President/Director of Hockey Ops, then axe the GM.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not surprised, good hockey man. The GM wouldn't be looking to bring him in, that would be the Owner or President. The GM will be the one looking over his shoulder at his eventual successor.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Since Dreger says "permission to talk with B.Burke for a non-gm opportunity.", I can see this as being a credible rumour.

Hopefully it works out for him, and MLSE can let someone take his salary off their hands and to help Burke move on.

Its probably in the best interest of everyone involved.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Since Dreger says "permission to talk with B.Burke for a non-gm opportunity.", I can see this as being a credible rumour.

Hopefully it works out for him, and MLSE can let someone take his salary off their hands and to help Burke move on.

Its probably in the best interest of everyone involved.

For sure. And Burke will have a clause in any non-GM contract that will give him an out to take any future GM opportunity. I'm sure he would want to move on from MLSE.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Curious what kind of compensation we'd get for this? Did we not get something when Dudley went to Montreal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad