Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Gabe Vilardi was a total monster at the Memorial Cup. He was the best player there. It was total beast mode. That's why it's so upsetting. He's a highly-ranked, very high skill player who just showed how dominant he can be at a very high level of competition.

Yeah, but then why did the teams ahead of Detroit also balk at taking him, their must be something they didn't like enough. Not defending the pick per say, just that why does everything have be so doom and gloom.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hold your phone, that is not what I am saying. I am just saying, every single move the Wings make is Doom and Gloom around here, can we relax with the World is Ending type scenarios. We won 4 cups in the last 25 years and last won in 2008, we have had it good. A few sucky years isn't as bad as it seems, literally every team goes through these sections. Pittsburgh and Chicago will soon again hit these moments as their stars head out.

It isn't like we are Leafs with no cups since 67, or the Rangers 1 cup since 1940, we have had it good.

But it's not man. This is so exhausting. I posted my rankings BEFORE the draft for this reason.

I woud have legimately been happy with Vilardi, Necas, Suzuki, Valimaki, Foote.

Like I take the time to voice my opinions before the Wings do something so you can see my opinion is independent from what the Wings actually do.

But we just do things I continuously disagree with. Which wasn't the case 7 years or so when I joined the board.

And it's too bad. But y'all will realize in time.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The wings biggest flaw is elite talent at center, defense and goal. It's really that simple. A more agile homer is great. But that's a secondary piece. If this guy's​ greatest attribute is big body net front presence then this a ****** top ten pick.

That's true, but according to most scouts there wasn't any elite talent available at any of those positions in this draft. Especially not so at #9.

I don't love the pick, but I don't hate it as much as others do here either.

There was a large group mad that we didn't take Shinkaruk over Mantha, and almost the entire board hated the fact that we took Larkin over Fabbri and Milano.

We're not great at evaluating the talent of kids around here, maybe we're right this time, many scouts seem to agree with Rasmussen at 9 being a reach, but with the exception of Cholowski all of our recent first rounders have met or outplayed our expectations of them.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
But it's not man. This is so exhausting. I posted my rankings BEFORE the draft for this reason.

Like I take the time to voice my opinions before the Wings do something so you can see my opinion is independent from what the Wings actually do.

But we just do things I continuously disagree with. Which wasn't the case 7 years or so when I joined the board.

Yeah buddy.

This is a lot of Red Wings fans:

05onfire1_xp-facebookJumbo.jpg

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Michael Rasmussen is probably going to be like most big bodied prospects and be a late bloomer. Based on the reports I read is he seems to have the ability to unlease a lot of untapped potential.

Maybe he is a boom or bust player that is likely going to have an NHL career whether it be a top 6 power forward or a bottom 6 grinder.

All I know is year in-year out everyone always hates Detroit's first pick, then they seem to turn out fine. Remember the outrage over Wings taking Larkin (aka Helm with hands)?

Looking back, he was a pretty damn good pick despite people writing him off based on random information they read on the interweb.

So far Tyler Wright has been darn good at identifying good Centers. I am going to trust our scouting team until they consistently fail. Jim Nill is gone, fresh visionaries are in.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I am not suggesting you are wrong, Rasmussen could be a complete bust for all I know. I just think that with the draft you never know, he could turn out to be the steal of a lifetime. I mean know one knew, Datsyuk and Zetterberg would be as good as they were, because the draft is always a gamble with everyone, with a few exceptions.

I even say that I was surprised they picked him instead of Vilardi and a couple of others, but Detroit is one of those teams that goes off the board so to speak.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
That's true, but according to most scouts there wasn't any elite talent available at any of those positions in this draft. Especially not so at #9.

I don't love the pick, but I don't hate it as much as others do here either.

There was a large group mad that we didn't take Shinkaruk over Mantha, and almost the entire board hated the fact that we took Larkin over Fabbri and Milano.

We're not great at evaluating the talent of kids around here, maybe we're right this time, many scouts seem to agree with Rasmussen at 9 being a reach, but with the exception of Cholowski all of our recent first rounders have met or outplayed our expectations of them.

I'm not going to pretend if I know this pick will turn out to be good or not. I don't watch any minor hockey or really following any these players. My only problem is that we didn't take a chance on a skilled center or defenseman. Feels like typical Holland playing it safe. And maybe that's fine because this isn't going to be built in a day and we add another solid​ piece before hitting big later. I just really wanted to go defense because it takes longer to develop.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

And that's what this board is about. Posters opinions and wants.

Don't stop the good fight.

Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah buddy.

This is a lot of Red Wings fans:

05onfire1_xp-facebookJumbo.jpg

If you think that is me, WRONG! I hate where we are too, it sucks not to be in the thick of things. However, like I have said, every team goes through these crappy times, the Wings haven't had that since the mid to late 80's, so fact is, we were long over due for a slide.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Michael Rasmussen is probably going to be like most big bodied prospects and be a late bloomer. Based on the reports I read is he seems to have the ability to unlease a lot of untapped potential.

Maybe he is a boom or bust player that is likely going to have an NHL career whether it be a top 6 power forward or a bottom 6 grinder.

All I know is year in-year out everyone always hates Detroit's first pick, then they seem to turn out fine. Remember the outrage over Wings taking Larkin (aka Helm with hands)?

Looking back, he was a pretty damn good pick despite people writing him off based on random information they read on the interweb.

So far Tyler Wright has been darn good at identifying good Centers. I am going to trust our scouting team until they consistently fail. Jim Nill is gone, fresh visionaries are in.

What good centers? We have one kid that has top 6 c upside but has yet to show he can handle it.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
A higher proportion of top 100 and top 150 scorers in the NHL in the 2016-17 season were 6'3" or taller than in the 1996-97 season. 6'2"+ athletes can be found at a higher rate in the top 30, 50, 100, and 150.

One of the most annoying phenomena on HFboards is the obsession over loving small athletes and hating big ones. Who's the best prospect? Obviously the smallest because he's so skillful. Who's the worst prospect? Obviously the biggest because he has no skills. I wouldn't be surprised if a portion of fans here declared him a bust from the moment they saw the height on his EP page, and I'm sure of that portion a group went on to watch highlights with heavy confirmation bias.

I do not like this pick. I preferred Vilardi by a lot. I preferred Tippett too by a smaller margin. I do not think this is an awful pick. I'll wait and do more research before reaching a conclusion.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
My hope is this pick turns out like when Winnipeg drafted schief. Everyone on hf hated the pick nobody thought he had the offensive upside that he turned out to have. Was a very unsexy pick. Fingers crossed.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
A higher proportion of top 100 and top 150 scorers in the NHL in the 2016-17 season were 6'3" or taller than in the 1996-97 season. 6'2"+ athletes can be found at a higher rate in the top 30, 50, 100, and 150.

One of the most annoying phenomena on HFboards is the obsession over loving small athletes and hating big ones. Who's the best prospect? Obviously the smallest because he's so skillful. Who's the worst prospect? Obviously the biggest because he has no skills. I wouldn't be surprised if a portion of fans here declared him a bust from the moment they saw the height on his EP page, and I'm sure of that portion a group went on to watch highlights with heavy confirmation bias.

I do not like this pick. I preferred Vilardi by a lot. I preferred Tippett too by a smaller margin. I do not think this is an awful pick. I'll wait and do more research before reaching a conclusion.

You think there's a bias against big players? That, that's a different take.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
My hope is this pick turns out like when Winnipeg drafted schief. Everyone on hf hated the pick nobody thought he had the offensive upside that he turned out to have. Was a very unsexy pick. Fingers crossed.

Great point, I love Scheifele, he's going to be an underrated super star.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Smith and Sheahan turned out fine?
Cholowski is looking better than Chychrun, McCoy or Fabbro...no hes not.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Why is it necessary to try and put a positive spin on the disappointment of our 1st round pick? Draft picks will never be forgotten it's a giant piece of a history. 8/10 here are not happy and I trust their opinions. It's not law or something but the people who've devoted months worth of time have a voice worth hearing. What about fans who actually followed his team? You think because some AHL dropout worked his way up the scouting ladder he has such a vastly superior outlook on the game? All viewpoints are acceptable but I don't see a purpose of imagining the kid will be a success when those who've watched him are not excited. By all accounts it was a strange choice that's the reality.

First, I try to put a positive spin on everything in life, what's the point in living life unhappy and seeking the negative in things? The pick is already made, what good does it do to sulk and hope he sucks just so we can be right?

Second, draft picks are forgotten far far more often than they are remembered.

Third you trust the opinion of those who hate the pick because they agree with your already cemented point of view. It's called confirmation bias and its extremely common.

Fourth, yes I believe that guys who are employed to actually evaluate the talent of a player are better at evaluating prospects than fans. Fans watch hockey games, scouts watch players. It's very rare to find a fan who watches a single player even when he's not involved in the play. Fans watch the puck.

Lastly, there is a vast ocean of difference between not being "excited" about a pick, and not even being able to imagine him being a success. He was the 5th ranked North American Skater in the draft, 9th in Bob Mackenzie's rankings, 10th in a couple others and 11th in LWOS's rankings.

Perhaps he was a slight reach at #9, but I don't think it was a strange choice, it's just an unpopular one here because there were players we wanted more available.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yeah, Scheifele has turned out to be very good, a lot better than I thought he would.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
On HF absolutely. The guys in the scouting room are often the opposite.

Yeeeeeeah I can't agree with that at all. If anything there's a size fetish. Way too many people value size over skill. Go look at the top ten or twenty scoring almost every year these guys range from 5'11 to 6'1 for the most part. Yet if you only pay attention to hf post you'd think players of today are all superhuman half Android giant battlebots.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeeeeeeah I can't agree with that at all. If anything there's a size fetish. Way too many people value size over skill. Go look at the top ten or twenty scoring almost every year these guys range from 5'11 to 6'1 for the most part. Yet if you only pay attention to hf post you'd think players of today are all superhuman half Android giant battlebots.

That would make for a good and silly arcade hockey game. Battle of the Fantastic IceBots. Bring back the super check feature that EA used to have, and fun could be had.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I'm not going to pretend if I know this pick will turn out to be good or not. I don't watch any minor hockey or really following any these players. My only problem is that we didn't take a chance on a skilled center or defenseman. Feels like typical Holland playing it safe. And maybe that's fine because this isn't going to be built in a day and we add another solid​ piece before hitting big later. I just really wanted to go defense because it takes longer to develop.

I think someone responded in another thread with what my biggest fear is with this pick.

That Holland is so gung ho on win now mode that he selected the player he thinks he can play in the league the fastest rather than the guy who will have the biggest impact.

You have a good point about defenceman though, hopefully we load up with all our 3rd rounders and get a ton of defenceman because it's going to be a few years before they are NHL ready. (if they ever are).

Either way I don't see us being anything but a lottery team again next year despite Holland saying otherwise. Maybe we get lucky in the draft and land Dahlin.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Smith and Sheahan turned out fine?
Cholowski is looking better than Chychrun, McCoy or Fabbro...no hes not.

Meh, for 27th OA Smith was a serviceable NHLer and turned into 2nd and 3rd round picks. The only player remotely close to being drafted after him and making it look like a miss is Subban, and he wasn't looked at as being close to 1st round material that year.

Sheahan is a similar story, there's Kuznetsov, but who knew if he would ever come over to the NHL. I guess they could have gone Coyle or Nelson.

Too early to tell on Cholowski, you also have to pair him with Hronek for the sake of comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad