At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
HUGE PICK, even if we picked 3rd, 4th or 5th this would have been our guy still. Love his game a ton. Elite talent!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would have gone in a different direction, but Zadina is an answer moving forward for sure, a lot of talent.

The Hughes family looked a little stunned as did the NBCSN guys that clearly ran a Quinn Hughes to the Wings video right before the pick. They had a guy fall to them and stuck with their BPA. Let's hope it pans out, they stuck to their board last year and I like Rasmussen a lot. I am not a believer in knocking BPA in the top 10, you cannot afford to miss so if you have your #3 guy on your board you take him.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Watching Zadina highlights again, after a couple of months layoff thinking he wouldn't get in our range.

Guy is a jet, elite hands and shot, plays with a physical edge, hunts the puck with intensity.

Going to be fun to watch.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Had been hearing reports that he was dropping on draft boards but never heard specifics. What was the point of contention? The scouting report in the OP makes him seem slow. Is that Zadina's area of concern?

Hes not slow. He has above avg speed and his edgework is very good and hes strong. Think Boeser. Zadina is very agile, hes just not a straightline burner. But he is much more engaged than Boeser.

He dropped because of the teams drafting ahead of him took positional need.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Had been hearing reports that he was dropping on draft boards but never heard specifics. What was the point of contention? The scouting report in the OP makes him seem slow. Is that Zadina's area of concern?

He lacks ideal athleticism in my opinion out of a top 10 pick and is fairly far along with the old Birthday and having already filled out a decent amount. This sort of showed in his combine results as well in terms of you questioned at times how great an athlete he was and those metrics backed up them not being dynamic. He is an average to above average skater. He does have an incredible set of hands on him and high hockey IQ. The Wings obviously didn't share those views, but it is why I had him at #8 on my board. Zadina is excellent at crating space for himself and making plays in tight space, that should help him a lot at the NHL level.

Still he can be an important building block, he should be a good impact top 6 player, hopefully he can develop into a star winger. Also fits in terms of the high character guys the Wings have been coveting.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm really happy with this pick. I wanted a D and stand by loving Boqvist, but Zadina is an exceptional player and certainly the third best player in this draft (I prefer Boqvist due to need and style). I think Zadina will be our best player, and he might be our best player soon. He is a complete offensive package that is going to "fill your net."

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The wings drafted a star player who is going to put butts in the seats in a few years, he's going to be an elite scorer in this league. So excited to have him on our squad. Was easily my #3 prospect in the draft.

What about this year? Is Zadina NHL ready? I guess I don't feel as bad not offering Frk a spot now lol.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
What about this year? Is Zadina NHL ready? I guess I don't feel as bad not offering Frk a spot now lol.
I just imagine the Wings will still be pretty bad. He will put some extra butts in the seats next year, to be sure.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Are we really expecting he will make it to the opening night roster? I mean, obviously would love that, but what is the real chance?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Are we really expecting he will make it to the opening night roster? I mean, obviously would love that, but what is the real chance?
I think he will make it. He has an NHL frame and a very complete game; I can't think of any facet of his game that should hold him back from playing in the NHL right now. I don't know what kind of production to expect off the bat though. I hope he'll be a consistent thirty goal threat down the line, but for next season it's really tough to say.

Reactions: Oddbob

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I would have gone in a different direction, but Zadina is an answer moving forward for sure, a lot of talent.

The Hughes family looked a little stunned as did the NBCSN guys that clearly ran a Quinn Hughes to the Wings video right before the pick. They had a guy fall to them and stuck with their BPA. Let's hope it pans out, they stuck to their board last year and I like Rasmussen a lot. I am not a believer in knocking BPA in the top 10, you cannot afford to miss so if you have your #3 guy on your board you take him.
"Let's hope it pans out"

No offense, but if they draft Hughes you're singing a different tune for him. I'd worry about an extremely undersized defenseman panning out into a top pairing guy before I worry about Zadina panning out.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
AA doesn't strike me as a person that sweats about his job seeing as he's content with giving 10% effort too often and still expects 20 minutes a game.
Love that you even try to throw shade at AA in a thread about our first round pick. I'm sure he is not sweating but happy that the team he is on got a lot better with a talented player who may even be a linemate next year. Grow up.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Love that you even try to throw shade at AA in a thread about our first round pick. I'm sure he is not sweating but happy that the team he is on got a lot better with a talented player who may even be a linemate next year. Grow up.
It's not shade if it's true. Get a clue. Move on.

Reactions: KJoe88

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
It's not shade if it's true. Get a clue. Move on.
It's a thread about our first round pick and discussing ZADINA not AA. Doesn't matter if this was a Piston/Tigers thread you would find a way to bash one of our players. Childish.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It's a thread about our first round pick and discussing ZADINA not AA. Doesn't matter if this was a Piston/Tigers thread you would find a way to bash one of our players. Childish.
Churlish.

Think you have me confused with someone else my man. Take it to PMs if it upsets you so much.

Zadina? As much as defense is a pressing need so is elite scoring. They have Mantha. And...Mantha. And you're still hoping he gives 100% every night. It's not going to take long for Zadina to be considered their best offensive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad