Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Probably the pick I am most excited about- seems to have decent numbers for a rookie buried on the Knights, and being a London product is never a bad thing.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Probably the pick I am most excited about- seems to have decent numbers for a rookie buried on the Knights, and being a London product is never a bad thing.

Yip, I like this pick WAY better than the first rounder. Could be the one guy from this Sens draft that has the biggest impact on the team in the future.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
10 points in 27 games and then no points in 14 playoff games once Stephens and Salituro joined the Knights, moving him down the lineup. Before that, he scored 24 points in 38 games as an OHL rookie. Also, had he been born 3 days later, he would've been in next year's draft. It'll be interesting to see if he can break through next year in a bigger role. His speed is great, it's just a matter of if his other skills can progress.

If he does progress we'll be able to trade him for someone like Burrows at the deadline :sarcasm:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
God I miss Lowes.

The way Mann praises players infuriates me. All he talks about is character, compete, maturity, effort, etc... From the sounds of it, under his leadership we'll continue to draft players like Lazar, Englund, White and Bowers over players with more upside for the foreseeable future.

Disappointing.

That is literally the exact opposite of how Mann operates.

He is the reason we took Chabot and Chlapik, the whole reason.

This draft had very low impact talent. I'm not a fan of the Bowers pick, but I understand the logic behind it. It was a very good year to have few and late picks.

Not to mention Lowes had more to do with Englund, and was the whole driving force behind drafting Lazar out of his scouting area.

Last edited:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Formenton has September 13 birthday. Born 2 days later and he's too young for this draft. And here he is today outplaying most pros, 2 points, 3 hits, 5 shots, 2nd star.
This kid could be something.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Formenton has September 13 birthday. Born 2 days later and he's too young for this draft. And here he is today outplaying most pros, 2 points, 3 hits, 5 shots, 2nd star.
This kid could be something.

Someone compared him to Larkin in the gdt. The playstyle is similar. Probably doesn't have the hands of Larkin but he's relentless in getting to lose pucks and going to the net. Really excited by his preseason showing thus far.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
He's still very young, he can improve those hands especially with the training staff at London, considered one of the best development houses in the world for young players.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hopefully a more physical nasty edge develops once he adds size. More top,6 minutes hopefully improve his hands.

At worst we have a 4th line guy with elite speed that battles and kills penalties . Here's hoping he turns into a 3rd liner plus

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He looked good tonight, he's puck hungry and quick to his spots, reminds me of Pageau that way.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
He's still very young, he can improve those hands especially with the training staff at London, considered one of the best development houses in the world for young players.

Are they really great at development? Or are they just good at "recruitment" of good players because of their financial advantages?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Are they really great at development? Or are they just good at "recruitment" of good players because of their financial advantages?

A little bit of both, they can afford the best of the best in terms of trainers, physicians and coaches because of their fortunes. That helps the club even more.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Making this better is the fact that from all reports, Curtis Lazar looks exactly the same in Calgary as he did here. He is doing squat, and simply doesn't look like an NHL player. His rapid fall is just so perplexing.

The beauty of Formenton is that the kid is so young - he has two more years of Junior eligibility if you can believe it. No need to rush his development but man, is it ever nice to have a piece like that in the pipeline. It makes up for the Bowers pick, which I am still not that jazzed about...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Making this better is the fact that from all reports, Curtis Lazar looks exactly the same in Calgary as he did here. He is doing squat, and simply doesn't look like an NHL player. His rapid fall is just so perplexing.

The beauty of Formenton is that the kid is so young - he has two more years of Junior eligibility if you can believe it. No need to rush his development but man, is it ever nice to have a piece like that in the pipeline. It makes up for the Bowers pick, which I am still not that jazzed about...

That's disappointing. By all accounts, Lazar is a really good kid who works his butt off. you'd think he has the foundation to at least be a 4th line energy guy.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Really like Formenton.

Kinda sad about Lazar. Think the guy is just too much in his head. It's a young man's league, so bringing a kid up isn't always detrimental like it once was, but I think here's an example of a kid who needed more time b/c getting to the league early changed his game. Analysis paralysis putting him always a step behind, his hands always catching up b/c he's trying too hard not to screw up rather than just playing.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

Like a rocket at times. Great mobility. And two years to upgrade is finish.

I just hope Dorion does not move these types of prospects out for short term fixes (Duchene). Building around White, Brown, Formenton, Chlapik up front give incredible depth in the pipeline.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Like a rocket at times. Great mobility. And two years to upgrade is finish.

I just hope Dorion does not move these types of prospects out for short term fixes (Duchene). Building around White, Brown, Formenton, Chlapik up front give incredible depth in the pipeline.

I agree ... Duchene should be one of the options if we can't resign Turris, or its heading that way.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It's crazy that he was the youngest player on the ice last night. He looked a clear step ahead of most of the pros

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I can't believe what I'm seeing when he's on the ice. I feel like I'm watching a baby devour a 32oz ribeye.

For the youngest member of the organization, and a guy who didn't play a lot of prime minutes last year in junior, he is undoubtedly one of the more noticeable players on the ice every time he's played.

He's going to get sent down, but this kind of a rapid rise up our depth charts is almost unprecedented.

I'll admit that I'm a little disconnected from the OHL and especially London these past few seasons, but is he going to go back there and just dominate while playing top line minutes?

Is that the general expectation for the majority of us here right now?

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I can't believe what I'm seeing when he's on the ice. I feel like I'm watching a baby devour a 32oz ribeye.

For the youngest member of the organization, and a guy who didn't play a lot of prime minutes last year in junior, he is undoubtedly one of the more noticeable players on the ice every time he's played.

He's going to get sent down, but this kind of a rapid rise up our depth charts is almost unprecedented.

I'll admit that I'm a little disconnected from the OHL and especially London these past few seasons, but is he going to go back there and just dominate while playing top line minutes?

He was basically buried last year on a very good Knights team. His production when he did get ice-time was quite impressive. Since several top guys have graduated, it looks like he's going to have every chance to be either the guy or a top guy for them. I think Ottawa found a real gem here by looking at his production vs usage.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Given the way he has played with the Senators so far, Formenton seems to be a top end prospect and likely will do as you say: dominate the OHL playing top line minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad