Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Im a fan. Drafting the depth players from London is smart. They always explode when they move up the following season.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Formenton has plenty of skill to go with his Blazing Speed!!
Ottawa Fans you have a gem in Alex Formenton
I was surprised he was available in the 2nd Round.
In my humble opinion, he will exceed many of the 1st Round Picks.
He got better and better during the season.
Dale Hunter does not give a lot of ice time to most OHL Rookies that would include
Robbie Thomas who had to earn the trust of Hunter.
Formenton was 5'6" 135 lbs 2 years ago.
He plays a very gritty game.
Here are last seasons s highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYR1CNM3JzI

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Formenton has plenty of skill to go with his Blazing Speed!!
Ottawa Fans you have a gem in Alex Formenton
I was surprised he was available in the 2nd Round.
In my humble opinion, he will exceed many of the 1st Round Picks.
He got better and better during the season.
Dale Hunter does not give a lot of ice time to most OHL Rookies that would include
Robbie Thomas who had to earn the trust of Hunter.
Formenton was 5'6" 135 lbs 2 years ago.
He plays a very gritty game.
Here are last seasons s highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYR1CNM3JzI

I agree with all of the above. This pick looks very solid.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Sens really wanted a goalie. Maybe they were targeting Oettinger in the first.

God I miss Lowes.

The way Mann praises players infuriates me. All he talks about is character, compete, maturity, effort, etc... From the sounds of it, under his leadership we'll continue to draft players like Lazar, Englund, White and Bowers over players with more upside for the foreseeable future.

Disappointing.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
God I miss Lowes.

The way Mann praises players infuriates me. All he talks about is character, compete, maturity, effort, etc... From the sounds of it, under his leadership we'll continue to draft players like Lazar, Englund, White and Bowers over players with more upside for the foreseeable future.

Disappointing.

Having 4 total picks, and only 2 in the first 120 kinda limits the sort of draft you can have I guess. They played it safe with their first 2 picks - no doubt about that. Maybe that strategy blows up in their face, or maybe not. I'd like to see how Mann runs a draft when he is afforded some latitude to take a risk or two.

Then again - we've had a lot of turnover in our scouting ranks lately. Bob Lowes left. Lewis Mongelluzzo and Frank Kollar were - I think - fired. They hired new NCAA coordinating recruiter, US area scout and Euro scout recently - maybe the new group just sucks. We don't know.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't know much about him.. hence ,, I would have preferred Comtois but .. I like the speed element Formenton has I hope he has the Hockey IQ as well

Based on the report, he is very fast with limited offensive skills. Tall but very light weight. Sounds like another Dzingle who cannot dzangle with the puck! :)

I wonder why Comptois was rated lower. Another choice that should be monitored to gauage the scouting staff performance.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Very pleased with this pick. He could be an excellent role player down the road for a Boucher-coached team with his speed.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Nice pick, he is definitely going to mature well. I'd say 2-3 years of formenting.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Speedster with no NHL skills. Another future trade fodder.

Yikes... I dunno man. He is barely 17 years old pretty sure if he is born 2 days later he is next years draft.

He has some great tools, its pretty hard to get icetime on a stacked London team as an OHL rookie. Id say he did pretty well, I bet he breaks out next year.

I spoke to one of the sens scouts and he was extatic, while the first rounder was a safe pick Formenton was a home run shot. Not to mention he is in London's program he is going to get developed properly.

I really like this pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad