Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah maybe they can go back after all; both Tkachuk and Formenton will be huge fan favorites but they’re so young (just turned 19). They surely can play in the NHL and get better during the year but they need to grow into their body and add significant muscle mass. Give them a few more games and maybe Chlapik and Paul/Balcers come in.

Keep Brown and Batherson down as well, big developmental year for them too

What I think happens is Tkachuk stays all year but Formenton goes back to junior.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think he can make enough of an impact to deserve staying here in front of a guy like Chlapik who's clearly better in my mind.

I love Formenton but you can just see he needs more seasoning.
more seasoning but the seasoning he needs wont be found in junior I don't think. but if I had to pick between junior and nhl I would say junior. but it doesn't look like he lacks confidence, so maybe a couple more weeks of hard practicing and games and he sorts some stuff out., but yeah chlapik should be on this team no doubt

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My concern is that Formenton might regress in London. How? Here's how - coaches want to win, so the kid would be double shifting all over the place and probably logging 24 minutes a night as a forward. What ends up happening in those situations is that players subconsciously learn to coast a bit to conserve energy when they can. Needless to say, you can't coast in the NHL, so that's the first bad habit that coaches have to break with hotshot rookies who come out of CHL.

If Formenton was languishing on our fourth line, playing six minutes a night, then absolutely I would say send him back. That's not the case though - he'll be in our top nine all year, and learning how to be a pro in the process. I say keep both of the kids here - their best classroom is right here in the NHL.

Reactions: zman77

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah maybe they can go back after all; both Tkachuk and Formenton will be huge fan favorites but they’re so young (just turned 19). They surely can play in the NHL and get better during the year but they need to grow into their body and add significant muscle mass. Give them a few more games and maybe Chlapik and Paul/Balcers come in.

What I think happens is Tkachuk stays all year but Formenton goes back to junior.

This should have been the plan all year. They should be doing what the leafs did when they rebuilt, go grab waiver pickups that are usefull players then sell them for late draft picks at the end of the year once they have inflated stats due to playing too high in the lineup. Aberg would have been a good start, but as we know this organization hates assets.

Formenton is gonna be a great player but he needs to develop his offensive game in a big way. Not gonna do it playing 10 minutes a night in a checking role at 19.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
He has a few rough moments. Find he looks a bit lost sometimes. I think he is probably just a bit overwhelmed with some over-complicated instruction from Boucher.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My concern is that Formenton might regress in London. How? Here's how - coaches want to win, so the kid would be double shifting all over the place and probably logging 24 minutes a night as a forward. What ends up happening in those situations is that players subconsciously learn to coast a bit to conserve energy when they can. Needless to say, you can't coast in the NHL, so that's the first bad habit that coaches have to break with hotshot rookies who come out of CHL.

If Formenton was languishing on our fourth line, playing six minutes a night, then absolutely I would say send him back. That's not the case though - he'll be in our top nine all year, and learning how to be a pro in the process. I say keep both of the kids here - their best classroom is right here in the NHL.
He needs to play 24 minutes a night in all situations. That team is run like a mini NHL team there wont be coasting. If anything thats literally exactly what he needs.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Yup Chlapik and Paul can slide in for them.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
more seasoning but the seasoning he needs wont be found in junior I don't think. but if I had to pick between junior and nhl I would say junior. but it doesn't look like he lacks confidence, so maybe a couple more weeks of hard practicing and games and he sorts some stuff out., but yeah chlapik should be on this team no doubt
He has hardly played Jr.... Thats exactly what he needs. More puck skills, more high pressure situations where he is the guy. Actual power play time and an opportunity to be creative.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am not decided on what to do with Alex. I am happy with his NHL game, and he actually is playing more physical than I thought he could. The fact that he is such a great skater allows him to be more steady on his feet, while Tkachuk is a bit Bambi on ice.

I think he can stick so long as he is given a chance to contribute

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast

I don't think I can take any of that first paragraph seriously but for some reason I do agree with you in saying that his best classroom most likely is in the NHL.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think I can take any of that first paragraph seriously but for some reason I do agree with you in saying that his best classroom most likely is in the NHL.

Watch a CHL game - the top players generally log huge minutes. Rolling four lines is less of a thing in junior, as coaches often don't trust their fourth line much at all.

Also, just one person's view, but I think that the WJHC is vastly overrated. Whether or not a prospect has a big tournament seems to have little bearing on their future as a pro. I love the tournament as a fan, but it's a development tournament. If a prospect has proven he can play in the NHL at any level, then he has nothing to prove or gain by being there.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Watch a CHL game - the top players generally log huge minutes. Rolling four lines is less of a thing in junior, as coaches often don't trust their fourth line much at all.

Also, just one person's view, but I think that the WJHC is vastly overrated. Whether or not a prospect has a big tournament seems to have little bearing on their future as a pro. I love the tournament as a fan, but it's a development tournament. If a prospect has proven he can play in the NHL at any level, then he has nothing to prove or gain by being there.

I also couldn't agree more on the bolded, teams prospects sometimes get over hyped because of the WJHC.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He has hardly played Jr.... Thats exactly what he needs. More puck skills, more high pressure situations where he is the guy. Actual power play time and an opportunity to be creative.

If he goes back to junior he will simply use his speed rather than develop his hands. It will be Alexandre Daigle all over again. He has NHL speed and , as far as I have seen, man strength. He is better playing in the AHL. But junior will allow him to zing around everyone and could be detrimental.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If he goes back to junior he will simply use his speed rather than develop his hands. It will be Alexandre Daigle all over again. He has NHL speed and , as far as I have seen, man strength. He is better playing in the AHL. But junior will allow him to zing around everyone and could be detrimental.
NHL or CHL for Formenton. Boucher just said Formenton played his best NHL game yesterday. Not sure I agree but what ever.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I've liked his game so far. I think the problem his teammates are having is understanding the enormity of his speed and how to utilize it as a weapon. I'd expect to start seeing more and more of those alley-oop style passes to open ice and just let him get out there and try to win foot races flat out. The results should follow after that pretty quickly.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He needs to go and learn how to be the offensive guy, something he has never done in his hockey career save for the last 20 games of his OHL season last year. London provides him that opportunity.

He is just going to blow by 16 and 17yr olds . Not sure what he is going to benefit from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad