Prospect Info: At 20th Overall the Wild Select Jesper Wallstedt

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yeah, he's a goalie. He's also an 18-year old starter in Europe's 2nd best league. If you're taking a gamble, that was certainly the time to do so - and he dropped so far, too.

By all accounts, his head is in the right place, he's got decent size, and all the tools. I really like it, and I was hoping for Lysell.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Dubnyk, Mccollum, Campbell, Visentin, Subban, Pickard, Bernier, Helenius, Irving, Montoya, Schwarz
You can triple the list if you look at first 10 picks in second round of goalies that "dropped".

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Guy playing against men in the shl. Put up great numbers the first half of the year. Tailed of a bit in the second half of the year from what I hear yet as a 18 year old. Looked decent in the WJC.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
From what I hear he was in the same consideration as 1st rd picks lately as Knight and Askarov. Cossa went before him so there is that?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
In Judd I trust until I don't, haha.

Usually hate goalies in 1st round but 20th pick in a weird year on a goalie that some equated to Knight/Askarov value, I'm in.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well, I'll be cheering for him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Me too, but I guess in this weird draft class and having another pick within a few spots is the time to do it. At least the pick is in the "steal" and not the "reach" category on draft day.
I get that... but still would MUCH prefer 2 skaters... I am just against 1st round goaltenders period.

Goaltending is important, but you don't want to get saddled with a top paid goaltender someday either. The value in general just isn't there cap-wise. Goaltending is just overall, the easiest spot to fill since there are so few per roster and the overall results gap from one player to another is no where near the ability gap.

Reactions: WILDTATE10

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I get that... but still would MUCH prefer 2 skaters... I am just against 1st round goaltenders period.

Goaltending is important, but you don't want to get saddled with a top paid goaltender someday either. The value in general just isn't there cap-wise. Goaltending is just overall, the easiest spot to fill since there are so few per roster and the overall results gap from one player to another is no where near the ability gap.

I'm less worried about a potential huge goalie cap hit in 5+ years compared to having a busted a 1st rounder in 5+ years.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm less worried about a potential huge goalie cap hit in 5+ years compared to having a busted a 1st rounder in 5+ years.
I am concerned with both, and overall... 1st round goalies bust at a far higher rate than 1st round skaters.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Goalies in the 1st…pure luck.
They develop 5-7 years before they are ready.
But, on the bright side, this might have been the year to risk suck a pick, because nobody was able to scout most of the players.
There might be more good NHLers in the later rounds than in the 1st round.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I will say, if you narrow down '1st round goalies' to 'European 1st round goalies' it seems to get a lot better.

You're looking at ~50% starters and ~25% stars over the last 20 years.

And yes, this is probably a little bit of a case of looking for an answer that I want.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I just feel like the goalie position is one where you don’t even want to commit a lot of money to begin with. Since there are only two positions available on a roster, there’s a huge supply out there of budget goalies that will provide you with nearly the same level of play as highly paid ones. Giving a goalie a large contract usually just eats into your cap that would be better spent elsewhere, same applies to draft picks.

Maybe he gives us a few solid ELC years though.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I will say, if you narrow down '1st round goalies' to 'European 1st round goalies' it seems to get a lot better.

You're looking at ~50% starters and ~25% stars over the last 20 years.

And yes, this is probably a little bit of a case of looking for an answer that I want.

Like we said earlier, if we were going to end up with a goalie, at this point, I'm much happier it's Wallstedt than Cossa.

I don't want to come off as too negative about the player, because I think he's an excellent prospect. In terms of getting a top 10 ranked prospect at 20, potentially the best player of the class, etc, you love to get that kind of piece at 20. He could be a legit top 10 goalie in the league in his day. There's certainly value in that. I just don't think it's hard to get something just a little bit worse for a lot less investment later on.

The other angle here I've been thinking about is that, we're not going to have an elite defensive core in his time here, most likely, like we've had for the last decade. So we may need to rely on a good goaltender a little more than we're used to. So this could be a really useful player for us.

Like I said earlier, I'm really cheering for him. Like YOU said earlier, this is a far better path than Knight over Boldy or Askarov over Rossi.

My other thought on this is that getting a player like Lambos at 26 really softens the blow.

Overall, this is still much, much better than our 2018 first round.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I just feel like the goalie position is one where you don’t even want to commit a lot of money to begin with. Since there are only two positions available on a roster, there’s a huge supply out there of budget goalies that will provide you with nearly the same level of play as highly paid ones. Giving a goalie a large contract usually just eats into your cap that would be better spent elsewhere, same applies to draft picks.

I somewhat disagree. For a majority of goaltenders, yes. If you get an upper echelon goaltender, they’re often worth it. Would Tampa have won with Talbot? Mike Smith?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I willed this pick into existence.
tenor.gif

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I am concerned with both, and overall... 1st round goalies bust at a far higher rate than 1st round skaters.

I think goalies need many more things to go "right" than skaters do to be NHL players. It's also a much smaller pool to pick from, with maybe 1 goalie a year on average picked in the 1st. There is what 380 FWDs, 190 d-men, and 64 goalies in the NHL? Heck even add in another 30 skaters as the pressboxers on the rosters. So that is 600 NHL skaters, compared to 64 goalies.

This is going to be a 100% a hindsight is 20/20 pick in 10 years. I'm meh on it currently. I don't love it, and I don't hate it. I also don't have a "we should have taken this guy instead" drum to bang either. All I can do now is hope the kid does well and lives up to his draft spot/hype. :dunno:

Reactions: melinko

Wabit

May 23, 2016

It depends on what you mean by big money. $10m like Price/Bob/Vas is a huge mistake imo. If you're spending $5m-$6m ($80m+ cap) on a legitimate top tier starter. who can carry you then it's not so bad. I also think you're overestimating the number of quality goalies out there. I can name maybe 15 I'd want as my starter, another 10-12 I'd want as my backup. The rest are not what if I had asperations of winning a Cup.

There isn't a lot of turnover in net from consistently quality teams. The turnover in net is from the fringe teams always looking to get into that top tier of team. It's the Kemps/Backy, Dub/Stalock, and the year Harding was lost that you can look to and say the keepers were the major weak spot on the team argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad