Prospect Info: At 20th Overall the Wild Select Jesper Wallstedt

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
When your main objective is to be square to the shooter, that angle is the same no matter the sheet size. Only the distance of the shooter you're squaring to is changed, so if they're further out, as a goaltender you stay more to the outer area of the crease to shrink what they can see of the net. That fundamental doesn't change as the ice size changes.

Those distances are harder on the shooter than they are on the goaltender. The closer in players get, you get back to normal NHL distances for shooters... and they're the more dangerous shots, which the NA ice will just see more frequently.

There are differences yes, but minor and easier for a goaltender to adjust for than a skater.
This point makes sense if the shooter/puck never moves. Once you start moving the puck back and forth along the width of the rink, your point dies

Reactions: GuerinUp

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
yes but the angles you expose by squaring up the the shooter are completely different when youre playing on bigger ice.
They are, I agree, but that's more of a shooter adjustment, the goaltender, all he can do is stay square and track the puck.

This point makes sense if the shooter/puck never moves. Once you start moving the puck back and forth along the width of the rink, your point dies
That's where athleticism comes in more than anything. Though, again, the bigger ice keeping the puck in lower percentage areas more often helps both the defense and goaltenders more.

It's easier on bigger ice, more dangerous on smaller ice. I think we all agree on that.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Wouldn't this make it easier to adjust to a smaller rink, coming from a bigger one (as opposed to going from smaller to bigger)?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Wouldn't this make it easier to adjust to a smaller rink, coming from a bigger one (as opposed to going from smaller to bigger)?

I would think so....but there is still an adjustment. May not require him playing in Iowa for a full season, but I would think he would want to get at least a few starts in Iowa before making his NHL debut.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
no because youre increasing the speed of these moves exponentially.

I mean there's also less space for forwards to use, which benefits the defense, which in turn benefits the goaltender, and there's less distance for a goaltender to cover. The puck moves faster than the goalie on both sizes, but there's a wider angle the goalie needs to be responsible for on the bigger ice.

The real difference would be the skill of the players at the NHL level compared to the SHL level. But that doesn't have anything to do with the ice size.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yes, the distance to to cover is smaller, but on smaller ice, the puck is in higher percentage areas more frequently, thus positioning is more important overall. Athleticism I think show more on smaller ice as well due to the quicker variation possibility from one side to the other because of closer distance and better accuracy at that distance. The bigger ice has the greater average distance of the shot or cross ice pass, which helps the goaltender because of lower accuracy, being less dangerous.
I mean there's also less space for forwards to use, which benefits the defense, which in turn benefits the goaltender, and there's less distance for a goaltender to cover. The puck moves faster than the goalie on both sizes, but there's a wider angle the goalie needs to be responsible for on the bigger ice.

The real difference would be the skill of the players at the NHL level compared to the SHL level. But that doesn't have anything to do with the ice size.
Exactly this. It's a MUCH easier transition for a goalie overall. Skaters, it changes their overall philosophy. Goaltenders, it just tightens everything and speeds things up.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The biggest problem going from Olympic to NHL is usually the speed with which everything happens. Guys get from the wall to the slot in 2 strides instead of 3.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The biggest problem going from Olympic to NHL is usually the speed with which everything happens. Guys get from the wall to the slot in 2 strides instead of 3.

That I can understand, but in theory, if you're watching a guy come off the wall into the slot, you should be square to him the whole time.

I can recognize that it's going to be a slightly different game than he's used to, I don't think adjusting is going to be that big of an issue, especially if he's half the prospect people say he is.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Agreed, but that's the same type of adjustment players in general make, going from lower levels to higher levels. NHL speed is unlike anything else.

It's not so much an ice size adjustment in that sense.

Skaters need to adjust to ice size, because the extra ice can change attack or defense philosophy so much. A defender is much less likely to be aggressive because the extra ice could get him walked easier, where as smaller ice helps the defender, allowing more aggressive play.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Agreed, but that's the same type of adjustment players in general make, going from lower levels to higher levels. NHL speed is unlike anything else.

It's not so much an ice size adjustment in that sense.

Skaters need to adjust to ice size, because the extra ice can change attack or defense philosophy so much. A defender is much less likely to be aggressive because the extra ice could get him walked easier, where as smaller ice helps the defender, allowing more aggressive play.

it also decreases the time a cross crease takes by almost half as the puck never truly slows down. this is probably one of the huge things unless you have elite defending.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That I can understand, but in theory, if you're watching a guy come off the wall into the slot, you should be square to him the whole time.

I can recognize that it's going to be a slightly different game than he's used to, I don't think adjusting is going to be that big of an issue, especially if he's half the prospect people say he is.
It won't be an issue past a handful of games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
it also decreases the time a cross crease takes by almost half as the puck never truly slows down. this is probably one of the huge things unless you have elite defending.
Agreed, which I mentioned in post 82, mentioning the closer distance in cross ice passes, making athleticism also more important on smaller ice.

If your positioning is good, you are very consistent in keeping square to the shooter, your game will already be solid on both ice sizes. Backstrom was proof positive on that for us for years.

Your team's defense can help cover for a lack of athleticism, as cross ice passes are tough against high quality defense... again, something that was proven with Backstrom, as he was never good moving laterally.

Reactions: GuerinUp

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Minnesota did well in selecting him. Smart move to move up and get him. So far Wild have done quite well considering.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Not sure how credible the source is, but going from SHL to WHL feels like a step down. I suppose he'd get more consistent starts and become accustomed to smaller rink at least.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Not sure how credible the source is, but going from SHL to WHL feels like a step down. I suppose he'd get more consistent starts and become accustomed to smaller rink at least.

Going from the SHL to the WHL would be a massive step down. I think we'd still have the ability to send him to Iowa whenever because he wasn't drafted out of the CHL, but still...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

the quality of teams would certainly be worse, but he would probably see a ton more pucks. They play zero defense in the CHL

Reactions: MuckOG

Filip Karlsson

Oct 6, 2020
The whole Portland situation is interesting. Swedish sources who've spoken to Wallstedts camp say the indication from Jesper & his agent is that Minnesota will make the decision on if he plays in the WHL next year or not.

Wallstedt was very good last year but in Luleå he's likely just a 1B next year so a move would at least mean more playing time.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The whole Portland situation is interesting. Swedish sources who've spoken to Wallstedts camp say the indication from Jesper & his agent is that Minnesota will make the decision on if he plays in the WHL next year or not.

Wallstedt was very good last year but in Luleå he's likely just a 1B next year so a move would at least mean more playing time.
Was there an injury this year? Why would he go from most starts to not most.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Why would he be the 1B? The other goalie is a 5’9 goalie who put up similar numbers

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Was there an injury this year? Why would he go from most starts to not most.
It sounds like they brought back (re-signed) a veteran. Last year(?) when that happened Jesper started getting barely any games. If this proves to be the case, this is a wise move instead of him facing albeit better competition but at a significantly reduced frequency.

IF he goes to the WHL this coming season, is he eligible to go to the AHL when the season is over? Are there rules that would prevent that? Or do the seasons coincide to closely?

Information was taken from: G Jesper Wallstedt - Luleå HF J20, SuperElit (2021, 20th, MIN)

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It sounds like they brought back (re-signed) a veteran. Last year(?) when that happened Jesper started getting barely any gets. If this proves to be the case, this is a wise move instead of him facing albeit better competition but at a significantly reduced frequency.

IF he goes to the WHL this coming season, is he eligible to go to the AHL when the season is over? Are there rules that would prevent that? Or do the seasons coincide to closely?

Information was taken from: G Jesper Wallstedt - Luleå HF J20, SuperElit (2021, 20th, MIN)
I'm pretty sure you have to be drafted out of the CHL to be affected by the NHL-CHL transfer agreement, so it shouldn't stop him from playing in the AHL if that's where they want him.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I'm pretty sure you have to be drafted out of the CHL to be affected by the NHL-CHL transfer agreement, so it shouldn't stop him from playing in the AHL if that's where they want him.
He may have been drafted in the CHL. That doesn’t really matter though. He’s a 2002. He only has one more year that the AHL/CHL agreement effects him. After the CHL season ends, he can play in Iowa, and he can start in Iowa next year no matter what

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The CHL would give me a bit of anxiety, personally. But, it would be an interesting route. If he get’s games in Iowa at the end of next season, and he’s the starter the season after, we could be talking about a situation where he’s called soon in a significant role for 2022-23. Similar to what Knight did down the stretch.

Reactions: Bazeek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad