Prospect Info: At 20th Overall the Wild Select Jesper Wallstedt

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
An irrational part of me wants to keep him away from this roster until the fall but he’s definitely earned a look.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I hope this is not going the way I think it is, with those D-men in front of him.
Could be a horror show.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Yah not at fan of this at all. I want to see him as much as the next but what if he gets 2 games and ends up with an .830% and 5.9GAA ……then gets sent down. How is that a good thing for anyone???

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Anyone worried about putting Wallstedt in net… Have you looked at the Iowa’s roster? Or record?

Iowa: 12-18-1 with a .406 win %
MN: 17-17-4 with a .500 win %

Calling him up is (surprisingly) putting him behind a better team. Yes, competition will be tougher at the NHL level, but he’ll also get to learn from Fleury and Gus first-hand.

Wallstedt has played well at the AHL level and that deserves recognition.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
You think that's the actual concern? Or that the sub NHL level defense in front of him "might do bad"?
He's had a sub-AHL defense in front of him all year. In any case, if he's the type of player who busts because he had a couple bad games, he was always going to bust.

Reactions: 67 others

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Anyone worried about putting Wallstedt in net… Have you looked at the Iowa’s roster? Or record?

Calling him up is (surprisingly) putting him behind a better team. Yes, competition will be tougher at the NHL level, but he’ll also get to learn from Fleury and Gus first-hand.

Except he’s not getting recognition. He’s being used as a stopgap life raft to give a battered team with an aging goalie a rest.

So he goes from a poor ahl squad playing other ahl squads to a slightly better ahl squad playing the red hot Dallas stars lol

Brilliant

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Except he’s not getting recognition. He’s being used as a stopgap life raft to give a battered team with an aging goalie a rest.

So he goes from a poor ahl squad playing other ahl squads to a slightly better ahl squad playing the red hot Dallas stars lol

Brilliant
I don't get why you are so against this. There are plenty of reasons why Wallstedt getting a taste of NHL hockey would actually be a good thing.

Reactions: 57special

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I don't get why you are so against this. There are plenty of reasons why Wallstedt getting a taste of NHL hockey would actually be a good thing.
Why not get him a taste with a healthy roster that’s playing well as a reward? I just really don’t want anything messing with this kids head. He’s awesome , I will love watching him no matter how he does. I just have Kuemper nightmares

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Why not get him a taste with a healthy roster that’s playing well as a reward? I just really don’t want anything messing with this kids head. He’s awesome , I will love watching him no matter how he does. I just have Kuemper nightmares
Injuries are one of the, if not THE, most common reasons call-ups happen. This “give him a taste as a reward” narrative you’re pushing is in good faith, but poorly placed given circumstances outside of your control.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Because the spot is available now and he deserves to see NHL action. Icing McIntyre would be a nightmare.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
I think it's the right move. The Wall might surprise us and might make it hard to send him back down when Gus recovers. Rossi & Faber have been better than expected. Maybe Wally will surprise us as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm in favor of this. He won't be relied on to carry the team or anything. This won't be a permanent stay, but a chance to help the team as a backup, and possibly start a game or two. Good experience for him.

He might find playing in the NHL easier. i've always thought that playing goalie in the minors can be tougher, with their revolving door rosters and more inconsistent players.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I was against calling him up when Gus and MAF were playing poorly. But this situation feels more organic and somehow there's less pressure on him to perform.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I think it's the right move. The Wall might surprise us and might make it hard to send him back down when Gus recovers. Rossi & Faber have been better than expected. Maybe Wally will surprise us as well.
I think the only way this would ever happen is if he posts a shutout in every game he plays.

Just no option to carry 3 goalies with our current dynamic and there’s no way they’d trade Gus or Fleury.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Definitely. Think of it this way. He makes $80000 in the minors a year, and $925000 a year if he stays up.

Even if he only gets called up for 1 game, in the minors he gets paid $950 a game, but even if he rides the bench in the NHL, he makes like $11000 a game.

If that doesn't motivate someone to work harder to stay, nothing will lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad