Prospect Info: At 20th Overall the Wild Select Jesper Wallstedt

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s been at about .920 the past month and a half. He’s progressing and that’s all you really had hoped to see. I will say, He’s got better stats than askarov, who was take 11OA the year before, and way better stats than Cossa, who is in the ECHL mind you. Still can’t believe the Red Wings took Cossa over Stedt

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Wallstedt has improved his game on the bad angle shots. He needed to, as they have become quite the art form in the NHL now, with players shooting from behind the goal line and trying to bank on off the goalie's upper body.

He's good at covering the puck, but you can never be too strong. That will come with maturity, and experience. He's good with the puck, but sometimes clumsy with handoffs, though that could possibly be due to miscommunication with the Dmen, and should be an easy fix.

I have no cogent observations about his glove, blocker, or rebounds. He seems pretty solid...until he's not. As I've said elsewhere, it's no accident that his play has gotten better as the lineup in front of him has improved. Even though they've lost a few, getting Walker, Beckman, Rossi, Petan, and Swaney back has made them a better team. The young Dmen, especially Hunt and ROR, keep slowly improving game by game, which also helps. I like both of their abilities on the break out, which is a very important component of playing D.

Now, if they could only stop taking so many penalties. That alone would probably boost Wallstedt's stats.

Reactions: Minnesota

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Let in 3 goals on 20 odd shots last night, but one was in garbage time when there was a 6 on 5, and on another, his Dman let him down by falling asleep on his net from coverage.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Let in 3 goals on 20 odd shots last night, but one was in garbage time when there was a 6 on 5, and on another, his Dman let him down by falling asleep on his net from coverage.
Yep. I don't believe any of the 3 goals were at 5 on 5.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, they take WAY too many penalties down there. Rossi did have a phantom penalty called on him last night, though.

Hicketts, I think….maybe Mermis? It wasn’t ROR or SJo.
Good. Not that I would judge their entire careers off of a single play, but good.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Good. Not that I would judge their entire careers off of a single play, but good.
I like ROR’s D zone coverage. takes it pretty seriously. Once he gets stronger, he’ll be vg. SJo is more just there, but at least he’s long. Like Hunt, too, but he covers more by athleticism than technique, IMO.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
A lot of negativity when the Wild drafted Wallstedt but he looks like one of the better picks that Minnesota has made in the past 3 drafts. Only Boldy seems to be better.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
A lot of negativity when the Wild drafted Wallstedt but he looks like one of the better picks that Minnesota has made in the past 3 drafts. Only Boldy seems to be better.
Just a philosophical 1st round goalie thing. I don't think anybody was really against Wallstedt as a player.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just a philosophical 1st round goalie thing. I don't think anybody was really against Wallstedt as a player.

Was gonna say, most of the comments I read were specifically addressing taking a goalie in the first round in general. I didn't see anything negative about Wallstedt himself. Even some of those were saying "if we're gonna take a goalie in the 1st, Wallstedt is the one to take".

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not so odd when half of them are new to the AHL and it's only the first 4 or 5 games.
Andy Welinski, Brenden Miller, Simon Johansson, Ryan O'Rourke are all veterans (and when he comes back Daemon Hunt). Spacek, Masters (believe he's injured) and Lambos are new. That isn't half.

Also most of their forwards are veterans and should know how to play somewhat of defense.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Andy Welinski, Brenden Miller, Simon Johansson, Ryan O'Rourke are all veterans (and when he comes back Daemon Hunt). Spacek, Masters (believe he's injured) and Lambos are new. That isn't half.

Also most of their forwards are veterans and should know how to play somewhat of defense.
You were talking about 1st and 2nd round picks... i.e. Lambos and O'Rourke .. so it actually was exactly half.

Spacek (5th) and Masters (4th) are also new. Welinski is a true one of us legend, but he's more of a bottom-sixer at this stage. Miller is an ECHLer primarily. Simon Johansson (also a 5th round pick) is ... serviceable?

It's not a bad thing for Wallstedt to be busy, I guess. Just have to ensure he doesn't flame out from having bail out a middling squad every night.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You were talking about 1st and 2nd round picks... i.e. Lambos and O'Rourke .. so it actually was exactly half.

Spacek (5th) and Masters (4th) are also new. Welinski is a true one of us legend, but he's more of a bottom-sixer at this stage. Miller is an ECHLer primarily. Simon Johansson (also a 5th round pick) is ... serviceable?

It's not a bad thing for Wallstedt to be busy, I guess. Just have to ensure he doesn't flame out from having bail out a middling squad every night.
O'Rourke has had one and a half seasons in the AHL. The talent should be there for Lambos as he's an overager.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What is an "overager" in the context of a 20 year defenseman playing the first 5 AHL games of his career?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad