Prospect Info: At 18th Overall the Winnipeg Jets Select C Chaz Lucius

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Seems like a good pick. Here are my questions about him if anyone cann provide any info. Does he need his linear speed or speed burst (or both)
It's easier to work on linear speed or general skating. So Im hoping it's mainly that.

What is his coachabily? Will teaching defensive skill be challenge like Scheifele or Connor? Or is he more open to playing a 200 foot game?

His biggest skating weakness is his explosiveness. He has decent top end speed but needs a lot of work on his mechanics. If he puts in the work he can get there. He already has good size at 6'1 185 so hitting the gym should come secondary to working on his skating.

He has decent play away from the puck but his bread and butter is always going to be in the offensive zone. Those expecting more of a Copp and less of a Connor are going to be disappointed here. This is our future Wheeler replacement and with any luck he's looking to make the roster in 3 years time.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
This is the Connor pick all over again. No reason he should have been available to the Jets, but this fanbase will gladly welcome him!

A right handed shot that will likely move to the wing and replace Wheeler’s production in a couple seasons (thank the gods).

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Reminds me more of the main guy some women is chasing in a romance novel. Chaz Lucius the rich muscular eligible bachelor hes a bad boy with a good heart that all the women swoon over. He cooks, he cleans, he rides a motor bike.

I was thinking more a moody, pharmacy-loving prep-school wingman for Dirk Diggler, but yeah.

Interesting pick with upside. Really looking forward to seeing him in a real-world season. Thanks all for sharing your analysis throughout these threads. Makes the draft watching much more enjoyable for me and I really appreciate the insights.

Last edited:
Reactions: RabidOne

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Reminds me more of the main guy some women is chasing in a romance novel. Chaz Lucius the rich muscular eligible bachelor hes a bad boy with a good heart that all the women swoon over. He cooks, he cleans, he rides a motor bike.
And has an exceptional ability scoring goals and with women!:naughty:

Reactions: snowkiddin

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He isn't in the same stratosphere as Perfetti imo. Cole has elite edges and is much more dangerous all around offensive player who also is elite at driving transitions both offensive and defensive.

Cole had a 1.8 ppg in the OHL in his draft year and this kid had a 1.5 ppg in the NTDP which is a couple levels down from the OHL.

The two aren't close in terms ability and results.
You comparing stats of a guy who had major knee surgery and couldn't walk for 3 months in his draft year. Love perfetti but would he even have made it back to play in his draft year. You know that connor wasn't even a 1.5 ppg player in the ushl the year he got drafted. Think it's way to soon to say who better.

Reactions: Flair Hay

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His biggest skating weakness is his explosiveness. He has decent top end speed but needs a lot of work on his mechanics. If he puts in the work he can get there. He already has good size at 6'1 185 so hitting the gym should come secondary to working on his skating.

He has decent play away from the puck but his bread and butter is always going to be in the offensive zone. Those expecting more of a Copp and less of a Connor are going to be disappointed here. This is our future Wheeler replacement and with any luck he's looking to make the roster in 3 years time.

Yeah to me he's like a Laine/Conner hybrid type of player. He has similar attributes as both in terms of goal scoring and hands/playmaking. I think if all goes well we have a potential 30 goal 55 to 60 point player that will do most of his damage when he gets the puck in prime scoring positions in the offensive end.

I expect he will be utilized more of a trailing option on the rush where he can find that seam and get his shot away quickly when he gets the puck. It's why I see him working well with an elite play driving playmaker like Cole.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah to me he's like a Laine/Conner hybrid type of player. He has similar attributes as both in terms of goal scoring and hands/playmaking. I think if all goes well we have a potential 30 goal 55 to 60 point player that will do most of his damage when he gets the puck in prime scoring positions in the offensive end.

I expect he will be utilized more of a trailing option on the rush where he can find that seam and get his shot away quickly when he gets the puck. It's why I see him working well with an elite play driving playmaker like Cole.

Yeah I really like the prospects of him playing on the right side of PLD with Perfetti on the left.

Reactions: mazmin

schmockeyknife

Apr 7, 2021
never even heard of this guy. but given the jets' scouts ability to unearth minnesotan gems every year, it's exciting

Reactions: GNP

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Like most teams, the odd season with so few games and so little opportunity to actually scout players makes each pick a huge question mark. Lucius may be a relatively "safe" pick, but I really would have preferred that the Jets picked the hometown Lambos.

Right now, it's really hard to give the Jets an accurate mark on this draft after the first three picks. I find that there is a lot of "fingers crossed" optimism in the Jet forums. However, I am less optimistic about this draft than pretty much any draft since the Jets re-entered the NHL. I have felt disappointed after each pick, even the first round. If Chaz can be a solid second line point producer or better, then we would have dodged a bullet, because I don't see either of our second or third rounders as future impact players.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Well blackbook goes into detail on it and a
most all of his mechanics are a mess and he also lacks the fast twitch muscle ability to make up for them which is unlike a prospect like Othman who has that fast twitch capability that allows him to generate a lot of power to compensate for his poor mechanics.

They aren't very optimistic he will ever get it to even an average level and don't see him being much of a play driver due to it.

I like the talent and think with some of our play drivers like Cole, Dubois, and Ehlers he can find a niche as a trigger man that can keep the play alive with the puck on his stick but I personally would have gone for a more rounded forward with speed and play driving ability myself here.
I questioned Sheifele and I questioned Morrissey. I gave up after that and just trusted Jets scouting. Their board doesn't always look like the consensus but they seem to know what they are doing. If people want to continue betting against the Jets scouting they do so at their own peril.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I questioned Sheifele and I questioned Morrissey. I gave up after that and just trusted Jets scouting. Their board doesn't always look like the consensus but they seem to know what they are doing. If people want to continue betting against the Jets scouting they do so at their own peril.

I'm not betting against the kid, think he has a lot of talent. Juat saying his skating is a big weakness and he'll have to clean it up to excel in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad