Prospect Info: At 18th Overall the Winnipeg Jets Select C Chaz Lucius

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Thats how us armchair scouts do it. Seems there was a bit more of a level playing field this year. I think once things get back into swing live scouting will be the norm again. Its a lot easier to get a read on a player live.
No question. I normally take in a bunch of Jr games, but didn't see any this past year. So, was completely in the dark this draft year. When you can see and hear a player, watch him on the bench and away from the play etc.......its a completely different level.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I see somewhere between KC and 55. He's not as one dimensional as KC. His skating looks more like an 18 y/o 55. He's a better scorer than playmaker, like 55, but not to KC's extent. KC is up and down the wing and score for close in. Lucius can score close in or from distance. From my limited viewings and reading, he has a chance to be an NHL centre...needs to fill out and make strides on his skating.

He is a natural C and in that sense he's more like Scheifele but unless he can transition from the o-zone to d-zone better and vice versa he likely will be a winger, at least in the short term. He needs a better first few strides.

Connor scores from everywhere as well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He is a natural C and in that sense he's more like Scheifele but unless he can transition from the o-zone to d-zone better and vice versa he likely will be a winger, at least in the short term. He needs a better first few strides.

Yeah he's closer to a slower skating Connor. Let's not forget Connor also played center in Youngstown before eventually shifting to the wing at higher levels. Playing C at the NHL level usually requires above average skating ability. I see Chaz as being more likely a winger. He'll improve on his skating but I dont think he will ever be elite. Crazier things have happened though. Tavares was a garbage skater until he worked his ass off and got above average. But the amount of work he put in is no joke. I'd say less than 10% of NHLers would put that much work into improving their skating. It also helped he already had decent size and very high IQ which made making it a priority alot easier over other parts of his game.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
He definitely seems to project more as a winger in the NHL. One look at his G/A totals can tell you that. But that's still an excellent fit for us.

He sounds like he could even be a modern version of Stamkos? Not sure if his shot is on that level, so maybe that's unfair.

But he definitely seems like a guy that can do a year in college, a year with the Moose and possibly make the team from there

We have the centers to shelter him into the top six perfectly when the time comes. Guys with great hockey sense are a lot more versatile. Great pick from what I can tell.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

ummm. in tight.

upload_2021-7-25_11-50-5.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Must be my eye test failing me, I'm remembering more goals from outside the dots than I guess he actually scores

Yeah Conner is mostly an in tight goal guy. Ehlers is the guy that shoots and scores from everywhere.

Conner had more one time goals on the pp though which is maybe what you are thinking of.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Must be my eye test failing me, I'm remembering more goals from outside the dots than I guess he actually scores
Thanks for making me look it up....i found moneypuck.com....thought all analytics besides naturalstattrick were subscription these days!

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
He said all the right things but his initial reaction was not a happy one. Jets cost him money.
What are you talking about? If the Jets wouldn't have chosen him, he's slipping further down the draft and since 'draft pedigree' matters for the first few years, he would be "losing" even more money on his first contract. If he's mad at anyone, it would be at the teams that passed on him.

Unless you're saying something else entirely and I'm misunderstanding you (in which case, please clarify), it seems like you're just making shit up based on a facial expression you thought you saw for a couple of seconds...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
What are you talking about? If the Jets wouldn't have chosen him, he's slipping further down the draft and since 'draft pedigree' matters for the first few years, he would be "losing" even more money on his first contract. If he's mad at anyone, it would be at the teams that passed on him.

Unless you're saying something else entirely and I'm misunderstanding you (in which case, please clarify), it seems like you're just making shit up based on a facial expression you thought you saw for a couple of seconds...

Every kid in that US NTDP room had the same expression. He seemed a lot more upbeat on his call with Chevy. It's different not being there with your family.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Right now, it's really hard to give the Jets an accurate mark on this draft after the first three picks. I find that there is a lot of "fingers crossed" optimism in the Jet forums. However, I am less optimistic about this draft than pretty much any draft since the Jets re-entered the NHL. I have felt disappointed after each pick, even the first round. If Chaz can be a solid second line point producer or better, then we would have dodged a bullet, because I don't see either of our second or third rounders as future impact players.

Is there such thing as drafting any teenager without having "fingers crossed" optimism? I think the Jets pulled off one of the best drafts in a long time. They got good value for all 4 picks. Lucius had an injury drop his stock, and is the second purest shooter in the draft. Chibrikov dropping to the Jets represents tremendous value. He was a surefire 1st rounder according to every single major scouting agency and the International Scouting Service had him ranked at 11 overall.

Jets 3rd round pick Dmitri Kuzmin lead all U18 players in the top professional men's league in Belarus. His 12 points were 11 more than Klimovich (a forward) just drafted in the 2nd round by the Canucks. He then lead his team and all rookies in playoff scoring (all positions), and his 3 playoff goals were good for second among all defenders (all ages). He scored 5 points in 5 games for Belarus in the top division WJC-18 and voted Top 3 Player on team. The scouting report reads like exactly what all teams are looking for in the modern defenseman. Sure, he's not tall, but if he was the ideal size he would be gone in the first. The kid is solid and deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point in his young career.

I'm not about to go on a full rant about Rashevsky, but he has serious chops too! I was hoping hard that we would draft him last season but he went undrafted.

I gently suggest you give this particular draft a chance. My only complaint with Chevy is losing picks every year for plugs like Jordie Benn and Bogan Whocareslovich etc. When it comes to making draft selections the Jets are one of the elite franchises. They just need to hold on to the dang picks!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Right now, it's really hard to give the Jets an accurate mark on this draft after the first three picks. I find that there is a lot of "fingers crossed" optimism in the Jet forums. However, I am less optimistic about this draft than pretty much any draft since the Jets re-entered the NHL. I have felt disappointed after each pick, even the first round. If Chaz can be a solid second line point producer or better, then we would have dodged a bullet, because I don't see either of our second or third rounders as future impact players.

About the draft and prospects? For sure.

About the actual team? LOL no.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Is there such thing as drafting any teenager without having "fingers crossed" optimism? I think the Jets pulled off one of the best drafts in a long time. They got good value for all 4 picks. Lucius had an injury drop his stock, and is the second purest shooter in the draft. Chibrikov dropping to the Jets represents tremendous value. He was a surefire 1st rounder according to every single major scouting agency and the International Scouting Service had him ranked at 11 overall.

Jets 3rd round pick Dmitri Kuzmin lead all U18 players in the top professional men's league in Belarus. His 12 points were 11 more than Klimovich (a forward) just drafted in the 2nd round by the Canucks. He then lead his team and all rookies in playoff scoring (all positions), and his 3 playoff goals were good for second among all defenders (all ages). He scored 5 points in 5 games for Belarus in the top division WJC-18 and voted Top 3 Player on team. The scouting report reads like exactly what all teams are looking for in the modern defenseman. Sure, he's not tall, but if he was the ideal size he would be gone in the first. The kid is solid and deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point in his young career.

I'm not about to go on a full rant about Rashevsky, but he has serious chops too! I was hoping hard that we would draft him last season but he went undrafted.

I gently suggest you give this particular draft a chance. My only complaint with Chevy is losing picks every year for plugs like Jordie Benn and Bogan Whocareslovich etc. When it comes to making draft selections the Jets are one of the elite franchises. They just need to hold on to the dang picks!

he only cares about the passport

Reactions: MardyBum

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I know there has been some Kyle Connor comparisons, but Chaz Lucius seems to have a Brock Boeser vibe to me.

Elite shot. Perhaps not the fastest skater but can get around the ice. I think Lucius starts at wing, especially with Mo coaching, and might find success with our elite top 6 play makers - Perfetti, Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele, and PLD.

Imagine a ‘Brock Boeser’ showing up after two years of college, ready to take Wheeler’s spot in the top 6.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Who's going to remind the Boomers that the cold war ended 32 years ago?

KEVIN CHEVELDAYOV, DOUBLE-AGENT-- THAT'S WHO!

In all seriousness, thanks for the detailed report on the Jets' draft. It's great to have some top talent back in the pipeline, and as a kid who grew up with my dad's passion for those great early Euro players who broke in for the Jets and then Leafs, I'm very interested to see how these pan out.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
After watching some shift by shift video of Lucius, he seems to play mostly on right side, or comes into ozone late, and seems more like a winger than a puck carrying C to me.

Could be a great fit on a Perfetti-PLD-Lucius top 6 scoring line, to go with Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers top 6 line in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad