Prospect Info: At 18th Overall the Winnipeg Jets Select C Chaz Lucius

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
My hope for him is he turns into a 30g/60+pt NHL winger down the road and adds a shooting option on the pp that teams have to respect. I like the kid's work ethic, skillset and character, and if he continues to develop, that's a pretty darn nice addition that replaces Wheeler in the top 6 RW down the road. Hopefully.

I think Perfetti will really help our pp in the future to where we don't miss a beat once Wheeler retires. This team has some really nice pieces at all positions for the now and in the future. Hope they all continue to develop.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I can't say who, but there is a NHL team that their development position is if the players are worth it they will put in the work themselves, and essentially have no developmental system in place.

Wow, but not surprising with how some teams seem to have a world of issues developing prospects.

Development is a big factor in a player making it to the NHL.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I can't say who, but there is a NHL team that their development position is if the players are worth it they will put in the work themselves, and essentially have no developmental system in place.
How does that work out for them? Like, do they have a notably good or bad hit rate on prospects?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think a very underappreciated aspect of draft / development is opportunity and pipeline management. The top-end prospects probably have to have a lot of their own drive / work ethic to become top NHLers. But at least half of the prospects are going to be in the bottom end of rosters and payrolls, and there isn't a huge advantage in drafting and developing that tier because they can be acquired inexpensively via trade and/or free agency (or on waivers). Many of them become available because other teams have a glut in their system. Teams that draft excessively from the CHL will end up with a bottleneck at the AHL / NHL level, because they need to find them development positions at a younger age than many European players.

So, while the dictum of having a very large number of draft picks is perhaps important for trying to hit a home run with a lower pick (still a very unlikely outcome), it can also end up being inefficient if you have a half-dozen D hitting the AHL at around the same time.

Considering the Jets, they basically had a dry prospect pipeline when the team relocated from Atlanta, so they needed a high number of picks and prospects to stock their line-up and pipeline. But at this point, they have a fairly set / young roster for the next few years and probably have enough good prospects to fill important NHL roster spots in the coming seasons. So, for the Jets at this point, it's probably important to draft and develop some quality players from the first round and second round, but perhaps not as important at this stage to have a very high number of picks to fill their pipeline. Getting the most out of ELC years adds efficiency overall, too, depending on where the NHL team is its competitive window.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
How does that work out for them? Like, do they have a notably good or bad hit rate on prospects?

I think their own fans think the team does well... but most teams' fans do.

Two things:
1) This is one team I've heard about... there could be more than one, and some teams may not be as extreme but are fairly hands off
2) Poor development can conflate drafting well and vice versa

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
My hope for him is he turns into a 30g/60+pt NHL winger down the road and adds a shooting option on the pp that teams have to respect. I like the kid's work ethic, skillset and character, and if he continues to develop, that's a pretty darn nice addition that replaces Wheeler in the top 6 RW down the road. Hopefully.

I think Perfetti will really help our pp in the future to where we don't miss a beat once Wheeler retires. This team has some really nice pieces at all positions for the now and in the future. Hope they all continue to develop.

Exactly, not only do the Jets look good right now but they are at lease a PO team for the foreseeable future and maybe a Cup contender. They now have enough in the pipeline to make sure that the Jets stay a permanent PO team for the next decade or more no matter who they lose in 3 or 4 years time. As a Jet fan since 1972 this current management team lead by Chevy and Zinger is by far the best the Jets have ever had.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Always nice as well that your young wingers have center experience like ours will. Helps with the defensive side of the game a lot

I agree completely about being able to fill our holes in the top six very well with what we have in the pipeline. Once they are ready.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Lucious in at #22 in Wheeler's ranking:

NHL top 50 prospects, 2021 edition: Byfield, Caufield and Power headline Wheeler’s drafted skaters ranking

22. Chaz Lucius, C, 18 (Winnipeg Jets — 18th overall, 2021)
It was a weird draft year for Lucius and he’s going to have to stay healthy and prove some of the teams that passed on his uncertainty wrong with his play, but based on everything I know about his health and his skill level, I expect him to become an impactful goal-scoring forward (that may be at the wing but he is a natural center). His ability to shoot from a variety of stances, get his shots off quickly under pressure, get open and then create for himself with his hands when there isn’t a clear opportunity, are A-level tools that grade out among the best prospects in the sport in each category. But he’s also a sneaky-good playmaker who I suspect will offer more dimension in college (and beyond) than people expect.

Wheeler’s article also mentions Lucius early on a list of the second tier of the best goal-scoring prospects:

“[Cole Caufield] doesn’t shoot it as hard as Arthur Kaliyev, but he’s still a clear cut above him and the rest of the game’s top goal-scoring prospects (Chaz Lucius, Mason McTavish, Carter Savoie, Alexander Holtz, Cole Sillinger, etc.).”

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Lucious in at #22 in Wheeler's ranking:

NHL top 50 prospects, 2021 edition: Byfield, Caufield and Power headline Wheeler’s drafted skaters ranking

22. Chaz Lucius, C, 18 (Winnipeg Jets — 18th overall, 2021)
It was a weird draft year for Lucius and he’s going to have to stay healthy and prove some of the teams that passed on his uncertainty wrong with his play, but based on everything I know about his health and his skill level, I expect him to become an impactful goal-scoring forward (that may be at the wing but he is a natural center). His ability to shoot from a variety of stances, get his shots off quickly under pressure, get open and then create for himself with his hands when there isn’t a clear opportunity, are A-level tools that grade out among the best prospects in the sport in each category. But he’s also a sneaky-good playmaker who I suspect will offer more dimension in college (and beyond) than people expect.

Krx40r.gif

None

Feb 22, 2012
screams Arizona

I was thinking Carolina just because their owner is so tight with expenses.

Edit: As said below I think Ottawa would make sense for the same reason.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

My guess is it's one the uber cheap teams- would say one of either Ottawa, Anaheim or Arizona.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm kind of shocked to hear about a or some teams not investing at all in their prospect development. That seems like a very bad business decision from an investment pov. Like being big at the stock market but only buying well known stocks for high prices only.

That reminds me when I was backpacking in SEA. The best way I learned to confuse street vendors when they approach you with their usual "only xx Dollar, very cheap, very cheap, very good!" Is to stop, give them a dissapointed look and say "oh no, sorry I only buy expensive - too bad". It confuses them very much and is fun.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I was thinking Carolina just because their owner is so tight with expenses.

Edit: As said below I think Ottawa would make sense for the same reason.
OTT usually has done good at drafting/developing though over the years.... but no clue it's bc they tell the players they are on their own, or have a program in place. but from what i've heard how arizona treat their pro players, idk if they'd treat their prospects much better.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I will paraphrase what Joel Armia stated in an Finnish interview during his first off season after being traded from Buffalo to the Jets.

Paraphrasing.....

Reporter asked how his summer was going with training, and had he been in contact with the Jets during the offseason.

The article said Armia chuckled before answering..

"Yes they have contacted me regularly during the offseason."

Reporter: Why do you laugh?

Armia: "With Buffalo, they would contact you once, maybe twice during the offseason while the Jets its once or twice a week"

That is crazy when you think about it, having little to no contact with your prospects during the most key months of their overall development.

Any org that understands the value in offseason training and the impact it has on young prospects taking next steps, would be doing all they can to properly influence that development in a positive way.

There are reasons why certain organization can never escape the bottom of the standings, regardless of how many top picks they amass.

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Reminds me of Cam Neely.
In Vancouver or Boston ?

Cam took awhile to find his game. But as an 18 year old he was just step off. I remember watching his first game here and kept thinking if he gets it together he'll be something.

I wouldn't think Chaz has the meaness.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
In Vancouver or Boston ?

Cam took awhile to find his game. But as an 18 year old he was just step off. I remember watching his first game here and kept thinking if he gets it together he'll be something.

He looks like he could develop into a big, hard-shooting rw.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In Vancouver or Boston ?

Lucius seems more like a Toffoli or DeBrincat type of player. He's not a power forward, but more of a sniper with a great shot, very good hands and vision, and terrific timing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Honestly my bet would be the Islanders.
Islanders have two people in their hockey operations with a title of "player development" (Reasoner and Malakhov).

For what it's worth, the Oilers don't list anyone in their hockey operations focused on player development.

The Jets have two people focused on development - Jimmy Roy and Mike Keane.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Always nice as well that your young wingers have center experience like ours will. Helps with the defensive side of the game a lot

I agree completely about being able to fill our holes in the top six very well with what we have in the pipeline. Once they are ready.
Wait, what holes are we filling with a pipeline?
Did I wander into the Peter Northstars beer league forum?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad