Prospect Info: At 18th Overall the Winnipeg Jets Select C Chaz Lucius

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
There should be a decent contingent of Jets prospects at the WJC this year.

I hope so! I think out of all eligible Jets prospects only Tyrell Bauer has little to no chance to make his team.

Johannesson will obviously need a fast start since he played 0 games in 20-21, but he's probably a lock to run their 1st or 2nd PP.

Torgersson should be a lock to make it, and should physically dominate that competition. I'm really keen to get a look at him vs the better teams in the WJC and betting that he'll shake the 'forgotten prospect' tag.

I think Perfetti only has a miniscule chance of playing WJC as the Jets will likely keep him at the pro level and not risk a Kirby Dach situation like last year.

Lucius should be there, but I guess if Kyle Connor can be snubbed after dominating the USHL, anything can happen. That said, he's a USNDP kid, so the big diss isn't likely.

Kuzmin will be running Belarus powerplay and likely their best overall player... if they're in the main tourney this year. I'm not sure what they're doing this year. Belarus wasn't in the main tourney last year and their D1A was cancelled so they had no chance to qualify.

Chibrikov will be there but may not get top 6 icetime until the following WJC

It seems like Jets will have safely have 3 players in the tourney, possibly 4 players, and maybe even 5 if Belarus is allowed to partake.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Does Chevy call each one of his draft picks before choosing them? We took a time out before drafting Chibrikov, and got confirmation that Rashevsky was willing to move to NA before drafting, reportedly. If he called Lucius first, the shock of hearing his name called is gone, the kid just has to try to keep it together and look cool.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I know there has been some Kyle Connor comparisons, but Chaz Lucius seems to have a Brock Boeser vibe to me.

Elite shot. Perhaps not the fastest skater but can get around the ice. I think Lucius starts at wing, especially with Mo coaching, and might find success with our elite top 6 play makers - Perfetti, Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele, and PLD.

Imagine a ‘Brock Boeser’ showing up after two years of college, ready to take Wheeler’s spot in the top 6.

Makes more sense than the Connor comp.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
After watching some shift by shift video of Lucius, he seems to play mostly on right side, or comes into ozone late, and seems more like a winger than a puck carrying C to me.

Could be a great fit on a Perfetti-PLD-Lucius top 6 scoring line, to go with Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers top 6 line in the future.
PLD line looks slow.

Lucius PLD Ehlers
Connor Scheifele Perfetti

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The thing about the Jets scouting process is that when a highly skilled prospect falls to them they don't get cute or use some weird process, they grab the good player. When Lucius fell to the Jets I felt very relaxed and confident that they wouldn't overthink it, and just take the talent.
Same. I was confident he'd be the guy if he fell. Same way I felt about Ehlers, Connor and Perfetti.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Same. I was confident he'd be the guy if he fell. Same way I felt about Ehlers, Connor and Perfetti.

I can’t tell you how comforting it was (is) to hear the names called to cash in on a surprise fallers (Connor, Ehlers, Perfetti).

Reactions: JetsUK and surixon

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Coronato also out? Is that to get a look at a couple of more players or are they both nursing an injury?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Chaz has the potential to be a top 3 player in this draft but also the possibility of flopping. One of the biggest upsides in this draft but needs a lot of work.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Chaz has the potential to be a top 3 player in this draft but also the possibility of flopping. One of the biggest upsides in this draft but needs a lot of work.

I like taking this calculated risk. Drafting is always a bit of a crap shoot so let’s pick the kid in the mid 1st round with the highest upside that has great work ethic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad