Prospect Info: At 17th Overall the Blues Select Zac Bolduc

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm quite happy with the pick now that I've dwelled on it more, I think this team needs more skill and creativity which is what Bolduc will bring to the table. I like his attitude and the comments of him being a "rink rat" in the same mold as Perron are also quite endearing. He was ranked in the top 20 by both McKenzie and Button so it's not like we reached by any means. Lucius and Svechkov, who are both players this board really liked, were picked right after him so it will be interesting to watch how their careers progress.

Reactions: Blueston

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Well, I’ve watched a few of his games now and I can’t say I’m disappointed in the pick. It’s your typical non sexy but quality mid-late 1st.

He’s not a puck magnet or someone who (at the NHL level) will drive a top 6 line. But he’s such a pro in the way he plays away from the puck. He’s very good on the forecheck and generally takes smart angles to pucks and breaks up alot of passes (similar to ROR) but brings alot more physicality and chippiness then ROR, similar to sobotka in my viewings. On top of that he had a nice but not extremely high end skill set and is a very quality skater. Not elite in that regard but above average.

To me, he’s going to be a similar player to Schwartz in that a ton of his value will be what he does without the puck and compete wise, while also possessing skill and offensive ability. I do think he’ll have more “finish” in his game than Schwartz last few seasons.

for me he’s a Middle 6 complimentary center/winger that will most likely produce 50-60 pts…. But in the right situation (like complimenting an elite top line) he has potential for more.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Well, I’ve watched a few of his games now and I can’t say I’m disappointed in the pick. It’s your typical non sexy but quality mid-late 1st.

He’s not a puck magnet or someone who (at the NHL level) will drive a top 6 line. But he’s such a pro in the way he plays away from the puck. He’s very good on the forecheck and generally takes smart angles to pucks and breaks up alot of passes (similar to ROR) but brings alot more physicality and chippiness then ROR, similar to sobotka in my viewings. On top of that he had a nice but not extremely high end skill set and is a very quality skater. Not elite in that regard but above average.

To me, he’s going to be a similar player to Schwartz in that a ton of his value will be what he does without the puck and compete wise, while also possessing skill and offensive ability. I do think he’ll have more “finish” in his game than Schwartz last few seasons.

for me he’s a Middle 6 complimentary center/winger that will most likely produce 50-60 pts…. But in the right situation (like complimenting an elite top line) he has potential for more.
If we get a 50-60 point guy in Bolduc, then I have to be happy with that, especially given the circumstances with Covid. Obviously with us picking so high in such a long time, you kind of hope that you can get lucky and get players like Pastrnak, Kuznetsov, Josi, Theodore, etc in that 17 range, but you kind of hope for a good producing piece for the team. Maybe he can really work on his game and challenge for a spot in a few years to play with Perron, but I think he may take a bit longer to develop.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If we get a 50-60 point guy in Bolduc, then I have to be happy with that, especially given the circumstances with Covid. Obviously with us picking so high in such a long time, you kind of hope that you can get lucky and get players like Pastrnak, Kuznetsov, Josi, Theodore, etc in that 17 range, but you kind of hope for a good producing piece for the team. Maybe he can really work on his game and challenge for a spot in a few years to play with Perron, but I think he may take a bit longer to develop.
I see him as a regular in 2-3 seasons

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

I don’t think the NHL is allowed to play in an assisted living facility.

I’ll double check, though. Hold on.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I don’t think the NHL is allowed to play in an assisted living facility.

I’ll double check, though. Hold on.
I know it's supposed to be a joke because of his age, but Perron has actually been more effective the older he's gotten. I don't think it's too far off for him to retire here and to be contributing as a 3rd liner 3 years from now.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I know it's supposed to be a joke because of his age, but Perron has actually been more effective the older he's gotten. I don't think it's too far off for him to retire here and to be contributing as a 3rd liner 3 years from now.
Love David “White Skates” Perron!

Reactions: ezcreepin

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
How picks etc works in lower tier leagues? This sounds so odd.

I'm totally unfamiliar about how lower/junior leagues works.

In the QMJHL, there are 18 picks per round and 14 rounds in total. He was traded for three 1st round picks and a 6th round pick.

Reactions: Ranksu

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Just saw this and decided to copy this over from his main board prospect section thread incase anyone wants another thing to read about him.

Here's my Deep Dive on Zachary Bolduc for anyone interested! 3000 words, 21 clips and 5 charts on the 2021 NHL Draft eligible.

"In what was an extremely turbulent season, the battle offered from the top 2021 NHL Draft eligibles from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League seemed to have been even more chaotic.

Between Zachary Bolduc, Zachary L’Heureux, Zach Dean and Xavier Bourgault, all showcased snippets of their full talent, but either failed to display any sort of consistency, or presented glaring drawbacks as top prospects. Despite multiple injuries and some erratic performances, Bolduc has flashed the highest potential of the group. His goalscoring prowess, smarts in traffic and defensive anticipation were on full display this year, which earns him my vote for the top QMJHL draft eligible.

But what’s the full prize with Bolduc? Which areas of his game could allow him to leave his mark at the next level, and what tendencies will he need to fix before making the jump?

Having watched every game of his this season, and collected hours of clips, here’s my best attempt at breaking down his game."

Deep Dive: A look into Zachary Bolduc's game - FCHockey

View attachment 452924

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'd like to hear from board members in regards to whether they're projecting Bolduc to eventually be a center or winger at the NHL level. I'm content to wait and see how it plays out but I'm curious about what you all are thinking.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'd like to hear from board members in regards to whether they're projecting Bolduc to eventually be a center or winger at the NHL level. I'm content to wait and see how it plays out but I'm curious about what you all are thinking.

I'm not an expert, so take this with a hefty grain of salt. I'd put it at 50/50 where he ends up. Defensively he can definitely play center. He is pretty good defensively right now. He does have some work to do, but what junior player doesn't. The important thing for me is that he appreciates the defensive side of the game, so he will be willing to learn it.

What might keep him from being a center, is that he is definitely shoot first. Centers are generally more distributors than shooters. However, guys like Stamkos and Matthews have made a pretty good career sniping from the middle. If Bolduc can give the puck up a little more but still maintain that willingness to shoot, he can be a pretty good guy in that mold. Probably not as good, but that style.

The one thing I know nothing about is if he is good enough on face-offs for the NHL. That ends up shifting a lot of guys to wing.

Reactions: TK 421

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I hope they give this kid #15 in training camp and let him keep it. Something about his game reminds me of Tony Currie. I guess I am remembering Currie (right or wrong) as being a pretty fearless shooter back in the early 80s.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I hope they give this kid #15 in training camp and let him keep it. Something about his game reminds me of Tony Currie. I guess I am remembering Currie (right or wrong) as being a pretty fearless shooter back in the early 80s.

Little guy, good offense, no idea where the defensive end was

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Fabbri 2.0 but better defensively and a little taller?
Fabbri was much more polished and had a defining game style that he could utilize at the same age. Bolduc isn’t as refined, and as such, doesn’t have a definitive style of game. Bolduc could play like Fabbri eventually, but it’s hard to compare the two right now.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Fabbri was much more polished and had a defining game style that he could utilize at the same age. Bolduc isn’t as refined, and as such, doesn’t have a definitive style of game. Bolduc could play like Fabbri eventually, but it’s hard to compare the two right now.

Fair enough! From the videos I watched he’s a pretty slippery guy like Fabbs is, both are good shooters/passers, while also having the same “is he a center or a winger” question.

Robby was definitely more NHL-ready from the start, but I think Bolduc is gonna be a sneaky good pick.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Little guy, good offense, no idea where the defensive end was
Yeah, let's hope his defense is a little better than Currie's for sure. Roger Nielsen pretty much killed his career over that when he sent him back to the minors after his stint with the Blues.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Fabbri seemed more driven too. His engine always seemed to be going. And he seemed to have better hands as well.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

He has been playing on the wing for two seasons and this year will be his third. I think that's clear where his future is.

BTW, he scored two goals tonight in a preseason game against his former team. LHJMQ – Incluant la couverture en direct des matchs, des clips audio et vidéo nouvelles exclusives, billets, statistiques, classements, horaires et autres.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad