Prospect Info: At 17th Overall the Blues Select Zac Bolduc

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
In what was an incredibly weird season throughout the hockey world. Perhaps no league was weirder than the QMJHL who started up in the fall; saw some divisions play while others were shut down; eventually saw the entire league shut down; and then played some games in the spring. One of many prospects affected by this was Rimouski Oceanic centre, Zachary Bolduc. He played just 27 games, scoring 10 goals and 29 points on the season. However, he could not complete his campaign as a lower-body injury in late March took him out.

Bolduc, the 14th overall pick in the 2019 QMJHL Draft, originally considered skipping the CHL and going the USHL/NCAA route. However, after just two games with Sioux City in 2019, he left the USHL and joined Rimouski. Bolduc scored 30 goals and 22 assists for 52 points in 55 games in 2019-20. He led all rookies in goals and took home honours as QMJHL Rookie of the Year, Offensive Rookie of the Year, and being named to the All-Rookie Team. He also played in five games with two goals and five points for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge.

Zachary Bolduc Scouting Report

2021 NHL Draft #27: Zachary Bolduc Scouting Report

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Young DP57!

Are you basing that on literally anything other then "Played in the Q"? Just curious.

It's eh. Maybe he surprises us, but he doesn't have that one "thing" about him that makes me think he's anything more then a potential middle forward.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here's my Deep Dive on Zachary Bolduc if anyone is interested!

Deep Dive: A look into Zachary Bolduc's game - FCHockey
Zachary Bolduc Scouting Report Thumbnail 2.1 (3).jpg

Attachments

• Zachary Bolduc Scouting Report Thumbnail 2.1 (3).jpg
    Zachary Bolduc Scouting Report Thumbnail 2.1 (3).jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 4

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Are you basing that on literally anything other then "Played in the Q"? Just curious.

It's eh. Maybe he surprises us, but he doesn't have that one "thing" about him that makes me think he's anything more then a potential middle forward.

Making a joke...relax

Rink rat, French Canadian...DP was #26 in the 1st round (also known as a rink rat)

I have nothing else to add.

This place is so uptight and/or doom-and-gloom

Last edited:

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
I'm a long-time QMJHL follower.
Bolduc is a great pick for the Blues.
He's arguably one of the best pure goal scorers that the Q has generated in the last 10 years.
Very athletic and his attitude is second to none.
Good luck to Zachary and the Blues.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
He's arguably one of the best pure goal scorers that the Q has generated in the last 10 years.

Love the report! Thank you.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
So he has a quick release, the ability to find space to get them off and does so in volume. Seems like a give me the puck so I can shoot it player. The problem seems to be that his shot isn’t exceptionally accurate.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
After looking about him more. I really don't mind this pick.
If there is one thing I am convinced of when building a hockey team, it's that you need at least one center who is athletic enough to play a complete 200 foot game and skilled enough to produce points reliably to win a cup. The Blues seemed to have tried every kind of team without this type of player (excluding Backes' one 30-30 season) over the last 30 years and finally won when they added RoR during his career year. Never hurts to have several prospects in the pipeline who can blossom into this kind of center.

Please note that no one has or will ever pay me for my hockey opinions.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

Thank you for the report!

It’s hard to dislike this pick. He’s rated in the 15-25 range by most rankings so we got a guy in our range.

It sounds like he has good offensive potential. Give him 3 seasons and we’ll see where he is at physically.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I like the pick. It stings a tiny bit that it's just 4 and 5 picks after Sillinger and Coronato, but Bolduc wasn't a reach. Neighbours wasn't a reach at all, while I'm at it. Weird narratives cropping up about some of these guys just because some fans had a few favorites that kept appearing in mocks.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Thank you for the report!

It’s hard to dislike this pick. He’s rated in the 15-25 range by most rankings so we got a guy in our range.

It sounds like he has good offensive potential. Give him 3 seasons and we’ll see where he is at physically.
Three seasons is reasonable. I'm on board to give this kid some time.

He's got a good frame on which to add some muscle. Let's see how fast he can physically develop.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Three seasons is reasonable. I'm on board to give this kid some time.

He's got a good frame on which to add some muscle. Let's see how fast he can physically develop.
I’ll admit he wasn’t my first choice. I’ve also never seen barely any of this years picks play. But everything I see and read tonight has me excited that he can be top 6 forward.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Does he project as a center or someone who is more suited to wing?

I do like the sound of his goal scoring upside.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Bolduc has a lot of good traits and several weaknesses that can be cleared up. He can add a lot of muscle weight to his frame. He should be able to carry 200 -205 lb when he's matured. So, I'm not worried at all about his eventual strength. And he seems to have already adjusted his game to win puck races and battles. He skates well, although he needs to work on his first step/stride and acceleration (which could happen with one off-season skating course or workshop with a skating coach. He's ahead of the game in several areas, and his weaknesses can be wiped out with more experience, and getting good coaching, and being receptive to it. I'm excited that The Blues may have a good offence producer again in their arsenal of prospects. We'll have to wait and see what his body looks like, and how his game will have matured in 3 years from now. I don't think this is a reach at #17. It's got the usual risks that you'd expect at this point in the draft. Let's hope that we get the GOOD surprise when it comes to development (sort of like we did with Parayko). We could end up with a very talented offensive centre, who can play both ways in the 200 ft. game! :nod:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->