Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Calgary Flames Select Juuso Valimaki

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He's also on pace for 0 goals.

Points at this stage of the season don't mean much. Yesterday, Tkachuk was the worst Flames player on the ice by far and managed to get a point on the go-ahead goal. Backlund was awful in the 2nd Montreal game but scored. Ditto for Lucic vs Toronto. Being rewarded for lacklustre play isn't sustainable over the entire season

If we look at Hanifin's 3 points so far:
- A simple 3 foot pass to Monahan who scores from the goalline but Monahan did all the hardwork before that
- Hanifin shoots a pea-roller from the blue line that makes its way to Monahan in the highslot. He does brilliantly to settle the puck in-between two Leafs players and passes it to Gaudreau who scores after some nice stickwork
- Hanifin reads the play very well and lets the puck find him in the slot. Hellebuyck makes a nice save and Mangiapane scores from a difficult rebound.

I don't know how you can say that pairing has offered much offensively. They've shutdown other teams at 5v5 but they (mostly Hanifin, Tanev is Tanev) need to show more offensively if we want to pump up our ES scoring. That isn't just the responsibility of the forwards today in the NHL. If anything, without two extraordinary plays by Monahan, Hanifin is sitting on 1 point

what about the fact when they’ve been on for ice they have accounted for 70% of the high danger chances?

personally I think Hanifin and Tanev should be producing way more then they have. Like I said it’s pretty hard to put up points when no forwards are scorings

sorry you are wrong on this one 100%

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Without hindsight, IMO Chychrun was the #1 dman at that draft for me and if we weren't taking a premier forward (PLD or maybe Tkachuk with whom I was a little hesitant), I wanted him. It made no sense to me how far he fell. IMO he suffered due to over analysis by scouts.

With hindsight, I think only Sergachev is the only other first round dman I'd expect to go in the top 10 with a slight edge to Sergachev.

Thanks for taking a peek into this. I'm glad to hear that others also see a bit of what I see as well.

I agree that Chychrun is more dynamic and aggressive in his play vs Valimaki seemingly being more careful. Both guys also seemingly tweaked their play a little when playing in the NHL vs other leagues, so I am definitely curious to see how Valimaki will play in the NHL (if he tweaks his style due to the ACL tear).

If Valimaki is truly on par with Chychrun, it's an absolute home run. TBH, I think we are laughing all the way to the bank if Valimaki is like 80% or more as good as Chychrun.

Give the kid another season or two, and we all be going " WOW". Why? Not sure exactly but I feel he is going to quietly break out into a 40 point Dman who can be trusted to defend our end proficiently while bringing some much needed scoring from 'back-side', again.
My hopeful prediction and premonition.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Valimaki has the best offensive game from our d-men in how it's built for the powerplay. Andersson, Hanifin, they rely on getting in on the rush despite their shots being fine. Giordano can get shots through but again, he needs also uses the rush alot. Valimaki uses the rush effectively and gets involved but he is the first d-man I can remember over the last few years to hit a seam pass like the one to Gaudreau, and his poise with the puck makes him super valuable to make a powerplay effective. Can make good passes, skate it in, be hard on the puck, everything you want out of a PP d-man in a way other guys on the team don't have.

Plus, he is not a defensive liability. I see him still holding back a bit in not letting his offensive instincts and abilities tak e to the forefront ( not yet). I believe he is acclimating to the speed and play styles and skill of opponents to be sure he doesn't get out of position defensively. Once he is more comfortable, and feels confidence from coaches to activate up ice more, I believe we will soon see all the former rushing and play starting attributes of Gio, combined with the offensive scoring and instincts that Dougie H brought.
All the while being sound defensively and reliable.
The verge of Flames future #1 D-stud is not far away, I feel, in Juuso Valimaki! He is merely scratching the surface, but some very promising signs of "WOW", "OH YEAH" and "YAHOO", the last few games. See that Mangiapane setup pass against Edmonton. Then last night against Winnipeg on Froese's 1st goal as a Flame!!
WOW.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Vali's 9th in rookie scoring, 3rd in rookie defensemen scoring, 4th in rookie assists, all 5 pts at even strength and playing on 3rd pair. All in all a great start for him offensively, still needs work in a lot of areas but considering how much time he's missed he is doing good.

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Valimaki really should be seeing PP time. He clearly has the best vision and creativity on our blue line. He plays an aggressive style offensively which I think would really help with the predictability and dynamic of not only our zone entries, but would allow for more options and looks once set up as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I still remember meeting him and his parents at the Port O'Call Inn. I could tell at that moment when I introduced myself as I looked into his eyes, that he was a special human.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Valimaki really should be seeing PP time. He clearly has the best vision and creativity on our blue line. He plays an aggressive style offensively which I think would really help with the predictability and dynamic of not only our zone entries, but would allow for more options and looks once set up as well.

You mean skate to the blue line and look back and hope Johnny is open, because if he isn't I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing why are there people in front of me what is even going on HELP.

I love me some Rasmus mAndersson, but the zone entries on the power play have been putrid.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
You mean skate to the blue line and look back and hope Johnny is open, because if he isn't I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing why are there people in front of me what is even going on HELP.

I love me some Rasmus mAndersson, but the zone entries on the power play have been putrid.
Tbf that's just what every single entry is around the league. Not that it makes it a better entry but everyone does it. And to be honest I think Andersson has greatly improved the quantity of times the Flames gain the zone by looking back, seeing Gaudreau is covered, and then skating it in/passing himself. He's definitely switched it up more than Giordano has in the past when he has been there. The Flames just need to maintain possession long enough to get Gaudreau up ice to join the zone/game plan plays if Andersson is going to carry it and they're gucci.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Valimaki is suffering from what all of our top young players do. You need to significantly outplay the players above you for a long period of time to earn opportunity. Valimaki currently already leads our defense in even strength scoring but I have a feeling we won’t see him on a power play until next season or atleast the last half or third of this one. Mangiapane had to be third on our team in even strength goals last season to finally earn a permanent spot on the power play this year.

Also just want to say that Valimaki has 4 points in his last 6 games, and only one of them came with our top 6 forwards. This kid is a stud and more opportunity will only showcase that.

Reactions: Mitts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad