Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Calgary Flames Select Juuso Valimaki

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
My expectations for 2021 is 50 games 5 + 15 = 20 points. I think it's a wee bit lofty, but reasonable.

This stat line is purely emulating Jacob Chychrun's D+3 NHL season after his ACL recovery. I keep saying that I see huge similarities between the two including injury and recovery.
Can't disagree with that stat line, I hope it will be loftier depending on his utilization, as far as Chychrun comparison I'll take your word for I'm completely ignorant to his gameplay, have not watched him at all.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Can't disagree with that stat line, I hope it will be loftier depending on his utilization, as far as Chychrun comparison I'll take your word for I'm completely ignorant to his gameplay, have not watched him at all.

If you're willing, take a quick peek at some of Chychrun's highlights and let me know what you think? I might say it over and over, but few others seem to have tried to compare the two and either just take my word for it, or ignore the comparison. I'd love to know if you see what I see, of if I need to evaluate my example and create a new one.

What I see:
- Chychrun had an ACL tear at the age of 19 (vs Valimaki at age... 20?) and came back to do reasonably well ever since being a staple on the Yote's 2nd pairing.
- He has always seemed like top 4 calibre from the get go feeling like a steal at the position drafted at, playing behind the team's top LD, OEL which meant he'd get chances to move up (ie: Gio Hanifin). Their deployment and opportunity ceiling and "sheltering" will be similar.
- He was drafted 16th OA in 2016 vs Valimaki at 17 OA in 2017. They are similar age.
- Chychrun has a good balanced blend of size, physicality, skill, offense and defensive acumen which is actually IMO very similar mix and calibre wise to Valimaki (although I think Chychrun has a slight be more physicality and Valimaki a slight bit more defense).

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
If you're willing, take a quick peek at some of Chychrun's highlights and let me know what you think? I might say it over and over, but few others seem to have tried to compare the two and either just take my word for it, or ignore the comparison. I'd love to know if you see what I see, of if I need to evaluate my example and create a new one.

What I see:
- Chychrun had an ACL tear at the age of 19 (vs Valimaki at age... 20?) and came back to do reasonably well ever since being a staple on the Yote's 2nd pairing.
- He has always seemed like top 4 calibre from the get go feeling like a steal at the position drafted at, playing behind the team's top LD, OEL which meant he'd get chances to move up (ie: Gio Hanifin). Their deployment and opportunity ceiling and "sheltering" will be similar.
- He was drafted 16th OA in 2016 vs Valimaki at 17 OA in 2017. They are similar age.
- Chychrun has a good balanced blend of size, physicality, skill, offense and defensive acumen which is actually IMO very similar mix and calibre wise to Valimaki (although I think Chychrun has a slight be more physicality and Valimaki a slight bit more defense).

Just spent about 12 min watching Chychrun vids, wow that kids got a hell of a wrist shot, his one timer too is ridiculous. He's got very good wheels, in the one vid when he was with Sarnia he easily carried the puck up and gained the zone. I see the comparison for sure, I can't really compare defensive games or Hockey IQ (which I feel is one of Valimaki's strengths) only because I haven't seen Chychrun play in game situations to get a feel for his decision making. Juusos's skating feels a little less dynamic than Chychrun's and may be just a style difference, for example these are highlight type rush's for both. Also not taking into account freshness on ice or that Juuso was playing against NHL caliber on this first clip.

Chychrun Rush

u5bCnNY.gif

Valimaki Rush

iheIhA4.gif

Valimaki Wrister and good wheels in Liiga play.

wS5RKYE.gif

Reactions: Fig and Dack

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Honestly I really like Chych, a lot. If Valimaki is comparable to what Chych, we have a gem. Most Coyote fans feel he’s already surpassed OEL.
I was really hoping we'd make a move to snag Chych, I was really high on him from the start as well. I know Chych got a bit of criticism his draft year, but I also remember him being like the only bright spot on a pretty brutal Sarnia team, and kind of having to shoulder the load defensively, as well as be a main catalyst offensively (he was 4th on the team in points, and one of the guys ahead of him was traded for mid-season).

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was really hoping we'd make a move to snag Chych, I was really high on him from the start as well. I know Chych got a bit of criticism his draft year, but I also remember him being like the only bright spot on a pretty brutal Sarnia team, and kind of having to shoulder the load defensively, as well as be a main catalyst offensively (he was 4th on the team in points, and one of the guys ahead of him was traded for mid-season).

Without hindsight, IMO Chychrun was the #1 dman at that draft for me and if we weren't taking a premier forward (PLD or maybe Tkachuk with whom I was a little hesitant), I wanted him. It made no sense to me how far he fell. IMO he suffered due to over analysis by scouts.

With hindsight, I think only Sergachev is the only other first round dman I'd expect to go in the top 10 with a slight edge to Sergachev.

Just spent about 12 min watching Chychrun vids, wow that kids got a hell of a wrist shot, his one timer too is ridiculous. He's got very good wheels, in the one vid when he was with Sarnia he easily carried the puck up and gained the zone. I see the comparison for sure, I can't really compare defensive games or Hockey IQ (which I feel is one of Valimaki's strengths) only because I haven't seen Chychrun play in game situations to get a feel for his decision making. Juusos's skating feels a little less dynamic than Chychrun's and may be just a style difference, for example these are highlight type rush's for both. Also not taking into account freshness on ice or that Juuso was playing against NHL caliber on this first clip.

Chychrun Rush

u5bCnNY.gif

Valimaki Rush

iheIhA4.gif

Valimaki Wrister and good wheels in Liiga play.

wS5RKYE.gif

Thanks for taking a peek into this. I'm glad to hear that others also see a bit of what I see as well.

I agree that Chychrun is more dynamic and aggressive in his play vs Valimaki seemingly being more careful. Both guys also seemingly tweaked their play a little when playing in the NHL vs other leagues, so I am definitely curious to see how Valimaki will play in the NHL (if he tweaks his style due to the ACL tear).

If Valimaki is truly on par with Chychrun, it's an absolute home run. TBH, I think we are laughing all the way to the bank if Valimaki is like 80% or more as good as Chychrun.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Just watched a short interview with Välimäki on Flames TV / facebook / whatever.
Just like I said before, uncommon for a finnish player to be so confident about his play instead of being humble. Last time I said something like this was after this draft+1 season when he said he thinks he's ready to challenge for an NHL position

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I haven't been able to catch any calgary games yet but hoping to watch one soon. How has Valimaki looked so far?

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I haven't been able to catch any calgary games yet but hoping to watch one soon. How has Valimaki looked so far?
He's had a couple moments where it's looked like he's been a little nervous/jittery. Beyond that, him and Nesterov have been an absolutely fantastic 3rd pairing. No points yet, but those will come. He's not really getting any powerplay time (15 seconds over 3 games), but he has seen the 4th most PK time among D (Nesterov would be third) and 7th total on the team. So he is being trusted with fairly significant time on our PK which has been lights out (8th best in the league)

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
He's had a couple moments where it's looked like he's been a little nervous/jittery. Beyond that, him and Nesterov have been an absolutely fantastic 3rd pairing. No points yet, but those will come. He's not really getting any powerplay time (15 seconds over 3 games), but he has seen the 4th most PK time among D (Nesterov would be third) and 7th total on the team. So he is being trusted with fairly significant time on our PK which has been lights out (8th best in the league)

Thanks man. Good update. Appreciate it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No other Flames defenseman is doing what Valimaki is doing in the offensive zone. You can tell it comes naturally for him there

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm not quite at the gushing stage yet, but this game was a big step for him.
I should qualify that by saying "Flames" defenseman.

I like his poise with the puck. I like that he seldom lets a puck get by him while he's manning the point. Most of all, I like that he drives to the center of the ice out from the perimeter during the cycle.

I really want to see him get some PP time soon

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I should qualify that by saying "Flames" defenseman.

I like his poise with the puck. I like that he seldom lets a puck get by him while he's manning the point. Most of all, I like that he drives to the center of the ice out from the perimeter during the cycle.

I really want to see him get some PP time soon
Generally speaking, I'm still seeing some nerves in his hands, and he tends to use either his hands or his feet, but rarely both at the same time. I'm happy to remain patient for now. When he takes that next step, I think the PP1 spot is waiting for him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Generally speaking, I'm still seeing some nerves in his hands, and he tends to use either his hands or his feet, but rarely both at the same time. I'm happy to remain patient for now. When he takes that next step, I think the PP1 spot is waiting for him.
I think eventually he'll convince Ward to slot him in the top 4 spot. We need more potent options from our backend.

Gio-Andersson haven't been able to get going there. Gio's legs are gone and I just don't think Andersson has that offensive instinct to justify putting him on PP1.

Hanifin-Tanev has been purely a shutdown pairing. We all know what Tanev is but it feels like we've been waiting 20 years for Hanifin to at least half-fill in Hamilton's shoes and he just hasn't shown much there.

Valimaki in our top 4 and Kylington slotting in on the 3rd pairing makes our defense more well-rounded. So far, this current group hasn't offered much in the way of scoring other than some stray points by Rasmus on the PP

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think eventually he'll convince Ward to slot him in the top 4 spot. We need more potent options from our backend.

Gio-Andersson haven't been able to get going there. Gio's legs are gone and I just don't think Andersson has that offensive instinct to justify putting him on PP1.

Hanifin-Tanev has been purely a shutdown pairing. We all know Tanev is but it feels like we've been waiting 20 years for Hanifin to at least half-fill in Hamilton's shoes and he just hasn't shown much there.

Valimaki in our top 4 and Kylington slotting in on the 3rd pairing makes our defense more well-rounded. So far, this current group hasn't offered much in the way of scoring so far other than some stray points by Rasmus on the PP

Wut?
Hanifin, who almost has no PP time, is on pace for 30 points and +60 on a team that’s scored almost nothing 5-on-5 and no short handed goals.

that’s how good that pairing has been...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wut?
Hanifin, who almost has no PP time, is on pace for 30 points and +60 on a team that’s scored almost nothing 5-on-5 and no short handed goals.

Hanifin has been our second best D this season. Really weird take from someone who’s watched every game.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
His physical tools are fantastic and I love that he's always looking to make something happen offensively. Once his brain catches up and he gets comfortable in the NHL I think his timing improves. Hopefully sees some PP time sooner rather than later.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Valimaki has the best offensive game from our d-men in how it's built for the powerplay. Andersson, Hanifin, they rely on getting in on the rush despite their shots being fine. Giordano can get shots through but again, he needs also uses the rush alot. Valimaki uses the rush effectively and gets involved but he is the first d-man I can remember over the last few years to hit a seam pass like the one to Gaudreau, and his poise with the puck makes him super valuable to make a powerplay effective. Can make good passes, skate it in, be hard on the puck, everything you want out of a PP d-man in a way other guys on the team don't have.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Wut?

He's also on pace for 0 goals.

Points at this stage of the season don't mean much. Yesterday, Tkachuk was the worst Flames player on the ice by far and managed to get a point on the go-ahead goal. Backlund was awful in the 2nd Montreal game but scored. Ditto for Lucic vs Toronto. Being rewarded for lacklustre play isn't sustainable over the entire season

If we look at Hanifin's 3 points so far:
- A simple 3 foot pass to Monahan who scores from the goalline but Monahan did all the hardwork before that
- Hanifin shoots a pea-roller from the blue line that makes its way to Monahan in the highslot. He does brilliantly to settle the puck in-between two Leafs players and passes it to Gaudreau who scores after some nice stickwork
- Hanifin reads the play very well and lets the puck find him in the slot. Hellebuyck makes a nice save and Mangiapane scores from a difficult rebound.

I don't know how you can say that pairing has offered much offensively. They've shutdown other teams at 5v5 but they (mostly Hanifin, Tanev is Tanev) need to show more offensively if we want to pump up our ES scoring. That isn't just the responsibility of the forwards today in the NHL. If anything, without two extraordinary plays by Monahan, Hanifin is sitting on 1 point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad