Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Calgary Flames Select Juuso Valimaki

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Vali will be in the new crop of young stud d-men. Probably not the Makar/Heiskenen level, but a solid #1 guy going forward.

I keep repeating it, but I expect at the very least something on par to what Chychrun has accomplished so far. Injury, potential, recovery, everything.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
2 assists (both primary and at 5v5) and a +4 (on the ice for 4 GF, 0 GA) in a 7-5 win, the NHL season can't start soon enough.

This was tipped so it's now an assist.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Juuso Välimäki among Sm-Liiga D-Men this season

Games : 18 (2nd)
Points Per Game : 1.00 (1st)
+/- : +14 (2nd)
Shots On Goal : 68 (9th)
Penalty Minutes : 20 (19th)
Average Ice Time : 23:09 (6th)

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Juuso Välimäki among Sm-Liiga D-Men this season

Games : 18 (2nd)
Points Per Game : 1.00 (1st)
+/- : +14 (2nd)
Shots On Goal : 68 (9th)
Penalty Minutes : 20 (19th)
Average Ice Time : 23:09 (6th)
Fun fact: 12 of those 20 penalty minutes came from last game. Haven’t seen video of the hit, but he was assessed a 2 and a 10 for checking from behind.

Edit: Don’t know how to post videos on here but here’s a link

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Fun fact: 12 of those 20 penalty minutes came from last game. Haven’t seen video of the hit, but he was assessed a 2 and a 10 for checking from behind.

Edit: Don’t know how to post videos on here but here’s a link

Dangerous hit. You just cant finish off a guy when hes that close to the boards and facing them.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
What a dirty player. Modern day Scott Stevens.

Fits the Flames M.O.

He joins modern day Matt Cooke on the dirtiest team ever

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Gonna be this years Calder winner.
Yup, I've thinking the same thing for a while, it's going to take an outstanding effort from another rookie to derail this season, or maybe coach misplaying him. He has everything going for him, he was playing 22 min a night in Liiga, is going to be firing on all cylinders. Hell when he first got hurt with high ankle sprain he one of our best d and was higher on depth chart than Rasmus, Rasmus has been fantastic since then and has developed into a great young D. But Valimaki has crushed it at every level he's played and NHL will be no different, I was worried how his torn ACL would affect him but his Liiga play has buried those worries, hard not to be hyped.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Do you guys think that he has a slot in the top-6 D-men of Calgary right away when the season starts?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yup, I've thinking the same thing for a while, it's going to take an outstanding effort from another rookie to derail this season, or maybe coach misplaying him. He has everything going for him, he was playing 22 min a night in Liiga, is going to be firing on all cylinders. Hell when he first got hurt with high ankle sprain he one of our best d and was higher on depth chart than Rasmus, Rasmus has been fantastic since then and has developed into a great young D. But Valimaki has crushed it at every level he's played and NHL will be no different, I was worried how his torn ACL would affect him but his Liiga play has buried those worries, hard not to be hyped.

My expectations for 2021 is 50 games 5 + 15 = 20 points. I think it's a wee bit lofty, but reasonable.

This stat line is purely emulating Jacob Chychrun's D+3 NHL season after his ACL recovery. I keep saying that I see huge similarities between the two including injury and recovery.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
100%. The kid showed he was ready 2 years ago. The injury is the only reason he wasn't a regular last year and his play in Liiga is a very positive sign that it didn't set him back at all.
The right question would be is he top-4 or top-6 when season starts

Interesting and a nice thing to hear. I always knew that he has that something when he was a captain of Finland in that U18 gold team. My impression back then was that he was a big contributor in that gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad