Astros cheated their way to World Series

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't know how significant you can consider it since none of the players are getting banned, it's nice to see that Cora and Hinch are probably done though.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
If it's harsh it has to be a lifetime ban for more than one person. I don't know how you can say harshest penalty in sports history and not ban someone for life.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't know how significant you can consider it since none of the players are getting banned, it's nice to see that Cora and Hinch are probably done though.

Nor should they

As far as I know, the players aren't the ones who set up the camera and relayed the information

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Nor should they

As far as I know, the players aren't the ones who set up the camera and relayed the information
Manager and above definitely deserve the most punishment, but the players could have shown some semblance of morality. I'm not doing something illegal just because my boss tells me, especially with union representation.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Don't say "one of the harshest punishments ever" and then just do draft picks and an undisclosed amount of money. No. You do all of that, ban the entire coaching staff of that Astros team for life, strip them of their title and impose a loss of free agency rights for like 3 years. It's not about a title anymore but the fact they've been doing this for years now.

Edit: not sure if you can strip a title but as for the rest of it... well that'll at least send a message

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
it's the perfect tweet for these times because it doesn't specify what exactly nightengale thinks would make that speculation so people will build this up in their heads to the point where nothing short of the astros being disbanded and offending parties being run over by their stupid homerun train will be enough. then we can have a few weeks of righteous outrage carry us over into pre-spring training and prediction season.

that'll fill some time.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Nor should they

If a player takes steroids, something they know is illegal but still take because they believe it will give them a competitive advantage (more strength, recovery from injury etc), they're currently given an 80 game suspension. I'm not sure how this is different. They were knowingly doing something illegal for an advantage. Also (and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) as far as I'm aware it was an Astro player studying the laptop feed to get the sign and then banging the trashcan to relay it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If a player takes steroids, something they know is illegal but still take because they believe it will give them a competitive advantage (more strength, recovery from injury etc), they're currently given an 80 game suspension. I'm not sure how this is different. They were knowingly doing something illegal for an advantage. Also (and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) as far as I'm aware it was an Astro player studying the laptop feed to get the sign and then banging the trashcan to relay it.

I just don't think you can suspend a player because someone else was banging a trashcan while they were at the plate

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
They're not getting White Sox'd, so this is a click baity tweet.

Hey, the Sox (W) have finished on average 29 games out the last three seasons. Leave us out of this :)

Oh, you're talking about the whole Shoeless Joe thing.

I don't know how much this will really impact anything, especially given the Boston revelations. My guess is Houston will get a hefty fine right at the owner, and suspensions for the manager and GM, maybe. I can't see players being suspended. Draft picks might go? Who knows. Unless they have direct evidence they did something in the postseason I can't see how they'd remove wins or a title.

Then baseball has to be careful. If Boston is proved they did the same thing, do they also get the same punishment? Especially since they'd be a second time offender?

Reactions: kingsholygrail

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Then baseball has to be careful. If Boston is proved they did the same thing, do they also get the same punishment? Especially since they'd be a second time offender?
What Boston is alleged to have done is not even remotely in the same ballpark. It was a blend of old school sign stealing except with a 3rd party media guy coaching them between innings.
It's still illegal, obviously, but you are still dealing with the limitations of the knowledge being confined to the old school application of sign stealing.
Compared to real time signalling of pitches though?? not even close.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Undisclosed fine and many lost draft picks?

So much for harsh.

What Boston is alleged to have done is not even remotely in the same ballpark. It was a blend of old school sign stealing except with a 3rd party media guy coaching them between innings.
It's still illegal, obviously, but you are still dealing with the limitations of the knowledge being confined to the old school application of sign stealing.
Compared to real time signalling of pitches though?? not even close.

Bostons problem is they were told to stop in 2017 yet continued cheating. Doesn't help that Cora was hired and he was the mastermind behind the Houston cheating scandal. Boston started cheating even more after he started.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
What confuses me is that nobody figured out earlier that banging trash cans = off speed pitches.

it just seems it would be fairly obvious to opposing players and umps.

I read one Astro player stating it was very distracting and didn’t help. I can see that too.

the coaches involved should be banned from the game. I’m not sure about that players but I feel like this type of thing goes on fairly often

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
this type of thing has gone on in some way, shape or form since pitchers and catchers started using signals.

catching someone this red-handed is beyond that and the punishment is deserved if you're going to look the other way. the players are in a union and have some protection from something like this while luhnow and hinch don't. i think the punishment is some of these guys trying to look in the mirror in a few years time, or seeing aj hinch at some event down the road and trying to look him in the eye, knowing that your actions were the reason he was tarred and feathered in the court of public opinion.

Sep 19, 2008
this type of thing has gone on in some way, shape or form since pitchers and catchers started using signals.

catching someone this red-handed is beyond that and the punishment is deserved if you're going to look the other way. the players are in a union and have some protection from something like this while luhnow and hinch don't. i think the punishment is some of these guys trying to look in the mirror in a few years time, or seeing aj hinch at some event down the road and trying to look him in the eye, knowing that your actions were the reason he was tarred and feathered in the court of public opinion.
Sign stealing has been going on for centuries.

using TECHNOLOGY to steal signs especially modern technology has NOT been going on for centuries.

Using TECHNOLOGY such as Apple watches and video rooms to review signs and use them in game, regular season or not, is WRONG.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What confuses me is that nobody figured out earlier that banging trash cans = off speed pitches.

it just seems it would be fairly obvious to opposing players and umps.

I read one Astro player stating it was very distracting and didn’t help. I can see that too.

the coaches involved should be banned from the game. I’m not sure about that players but I feel like this type of thing goes on fairly often
There's a video of pitcher Danny Farquhar stepping off the mound and calling the catcher out when they banged on one. I'm sure there are others, too.

Fiers hasn't been quiet. The A's complained about Houston stealing signs in 2018 (right after Fiers was acquired from Detroit). The Tigers knew, too. Word spread quickly, but the league waited until they couldn't anymore.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
the Astros saying it was distracting may be true, but if you know an offspeed pitch is coming, it starts out low in the zone, this gives you knowledge that the pitch is going to end up outside of the zone. getting ahead in the count raises batting average 150-200 points from 1-1 to 2-1 instead of 1-2.

basically, Astros players are deflecting and not making themselves look any better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad