(Assumptions aside) Grzelcyk Vs. Clifton might surprise you.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Grzelcyk, it is always assumed, will be protected over Clifton. Grizz Vs. Lauzon discussions etc but Clifton never seems to enter the discussion too much (other than that Seattle might take Clifton) but when you start to run some of the numbers *including 2 really important ones* it comes out heavily in favour of "Cliffy Hockey"

IMPORTANT NUMBER #1:
Grzelcyk: 3.67m Cap hit
Clifton: 1m Cap hit

*I'm going off memory, could be off a few bucks but Clifton is an amazing deal. Grizz isn't overpaid, in my opinion, but he sure of hell isn't worth 350% of the cap hit that Clifton gets! We are in a flat cap and that 2.5 or 2.6 goes a long way come UFA season or a trade for a star player that this team needs so bad.

IMPORTANT NUMBER #2:
Grzelcyk: .25 PPG in his career in the playoffs
Clifton: .22 PPG in his career in the playoffs

Clifton plays better in playoffs and Grizz gets smaller (imo). Keep in mind that Grizz is also still getting PP time in the playoffs as well which is also part of the reason why his regular season numbers are better than Clifton (13 more points this year). Clifton gets no PP time and Grizz was 1st PP --getting even 45 more seconds a game than McAvoy (shameful). We have the talent to run 4 forwards on both PPs and McAvoy should take the 1st PP unit over, so Gryz is very replaceable on the 2nd unit.

IMPORTANT NUMBER #3:
Grzelcyk: 5'9 174pds
Clifton: 5'11 195pds

Grizz is waaaaaaay too small if he doesn't bring elite skills across the board (he doesn't.... he's good, but not enough). Grizz is often roadkill in the playoffs, whereas Clifton is an absolute playoff beast. Not even comparable
Grzelcyk: 1.5 hits / 60
Clifton: 8 hits / 60 (team leading)

I understand that lots of other numbers will come out in favour of Grizz, buuuuut playoffs is all I care about. Grizz gets lots of time with the top line and one of the best Dmen in the game whereas Cliffy had much lesser partners this year. To me, if Clifton could play LHD with McAvoy he would look amazing. Just an opinion.

To me (/ everyone) we need an upgrade on the LD side and $2,670,000 saved from going with Cliffy over Grizz could go a long way.

Grizz Vs. Clifton + (cap space to help sign/trade for ___________ ) and it really isn't close.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Now for some added context. Gryz led the Bruins D in GA/60. Clifton also did pretty well in that regard.
Clifton was better over the playoffs. Now if you're gonna let 10 games dictate your reasoning here, you should be advocating Jeremy Lauzon get launched into the sun.

So yeah, sure. Keep the bottom pairing RD because they're impossible to find and gift Seattle a better D because of 2m.

Better plan. Try to keep both and get Lauzon taken by Seattle. But this same line of thinking led to Florida protecting Petrovic and Bjugstad and giving Vegas two top 6 F.

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Now for some added context. Gryz led the Bruins D in GA/60. Clifton also did pretty well in that regard.
Of Grzelyck's per /60 ice-time, he led the team with an insanely high PP TOI % of 57%
Of Grzelyck's per /60 ice-time, he was also lowest on the team with an embarrassingly low PK rake of 6%

Sorry, but that is brutal for an NHL vet D, pretending to be as a top-pairing guy. Even the smaller rookie, Ahcan got trusted with a higher TOI % of PK time. I would expect all of Grizz's numbers to all look great as he was sheltered to shit and got to play with McAvoy as his partner + perfection line.

Clifton was better over the playoffs. Now if you're gonna let 10 games dictate your reasoning here, you should be advocating Jeremy Lauzon get launched into the sun.
Ahhh.... but you are trying to isolate it to these "playoffs".

Clifton was better last year as well (statistically and 100% eyeball as Tampa was super hard on Gryz) and then ... ahhh shit... yup, Clifton was better the previous playoffs as well, where he was a revelation in 2019 Cup run. Gryz was -3 in those playoffs and Cliffy was +2 etc etc He was holding his own against the Blues while Grizz was busy being the nail (again).

So yeah, sure. Keep the bottom pairing RD because they're impossible to find and gift Seattle a better D because of 2m.

Again, I'd take a 1m 3rd pairing guy over a tiny 3.7m 2nd-3rd pairing SHELTERED tweener.

We have to give up a player anyway, and I would rather have the $3,687,500 cap space to address the Left-side with a real option on Defence rather than a guy who can't be counted on in the playoffs. MG sure as hell isn't a top pairing Dman. Is he worth that money as a super-sheltered, tiny bottom 4 guy who is roadkill come playoff time?

The irony of McAvoy's life. As he is moving into the prime of his career, he gets anchored down with a 6'9 sloooow giant for years, only to then be anchored down (covering) for a smooth skating 5'9 midget.

Look at McAvoys's amazing numbers to start the year when Grizz was injured (and he was playing with the defensively responsible/capable Lauzon) and how they dipped dramatically when MG came back.

Better plan. Try to keep both and get Lauzon taken by Seattle. But this same line of thinking led to Florida protecting Petrovic and Bjugstad and giving Vegas two top 6 F.
GMs will be smarter this time around.
Again, I don't know that Seattle take Grizz. There are lots of GMs that don't want sub 6fters in their limited 6 slots on D unless they bring elite skill (like a Sam Girard).

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Of Grzelyck's per /60 ice-time, he led the team with an insanely high PP TOI % of 57%
Of Grzelyck's per /60 ice-time, he was also lowest on the team with an embarrassingly low PK rake of 6%

Sorry, but that is brutal for an NHL vet D, pretending to be as a top-pairing guy. Even the smaller rookie, Ahcan got trusted with a higher TOI % of PK time. I would expect all of Grizz's numbers to all look great as he was sheltered to shit and got to play with McAvoy as his partner + perfection line.

Ahhh.... but you are trying to isolate it to these "playoffs".

Clifton was better last year as well (statistically and 100% eyeball as Tampa was super hard on Gryz) and then ... ahhh shit... yup, Clifton was better the previous playoffs as well, where he was a revelation in 2019 Cup run. Gryz was -3 in those playoffs and Cliffy was +2 etc etc He was holding his own against the Blues while Grizz was busy being the nail (again).

Again, I'd take a 1m 3rd pairing guy over a tiny 3.7m 2nd-3rd pairing SHELTERED tweener.

We have to give up a player anyway, and I would rather have the $3,687,500 cap space to address the Left-side with a real option on Defence rather than a guy who can't be counted on in the playoffs. MG sure as hell isn't a top pairing Dman. Is he worth that money as a super-sheltered, tiny bottom 4 guy who is roadkill come playoff time?

The irony of McAvoy's life. As he is moving into the prime of his career, he gets anchored down with a 6'9 sloooow giant for years, only to then be anchored down (covering) for a smooth skating 5'9 midget.

Look at McAvoys's amazing numbers to start the year when Grizz was injured (and he was playing with the defensively responsible/capable Lauzon) and how they dipped dramatically when MG came back.

GMs will be smarter this time around.
Again, I don't know that Seattle take Grizz. There are lots of GMs that don't want sub 6fters in their limited 6 slots on D unless they bring elite skill (like a Sam Girard).

my number was only 5 on 5. As for your, like sam girard part. He got abused far worse than gryz did

The Ahcan part. You're being disingenuous and you know it.

You say he's been anchored by Gryz, why are McAvoy's numbers always better when Gryz in next to him.

Be better Colt.

Man if only Gryz could be as defensively responsible at Lauzon and let in goals at a higher rate. f***ing bum. If you're gonna say Gryz can't defend, to turn around and claim Lauzon can. Big f***ing oof there.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Notice how McAvoy's numbers improve next to Gryz and Lauzon craters when away from Charlie. Someone was the anchor, but it wasn't Matt Grzelcyk

Last edited:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
It is the flavour of the month to hate on Grzelcyk, and it is obvious why- he is the poster boy for Sweeney's vision that Bruins fans hate, small and 'weak', and seen as a reason why we lost to the big bad Islanders. The idea that the Bruins should get bigger and meaner is an idea I also share and have since before the season started.

Here is my post from when Chara signed with Washington
Zdeno Chara signs with WASHINGTON

However, I still think Grzelcyk can be a top-four defenceman on a winning club, but he needs a no-nonsense defenceman to pair with him. Nevertheless, Grzelcyk isn't untouchable, and I think he can get something back in a trade. Imagine if a team needs some puck-moving from the back end, Grzelcyk could be an attractive option. Or if the Bruins trade for a talented left handed-defenceman, the other team will need a roster player (Grzelcyk) to fill the hole left.

What I don't understand is the desire to lose Grzelcyk for absolutely nothing. While it might hurt to lose a young and gritty cost-controlled defenceman in Lauzon, almost every team has a Lauzon on their roster or in the AHL.

The salary argument is foolish- he is the 84th highest paid defenceman in the league and will fall on that list after free agency. Grzelcyk's salary is commensurate with his play and experience, and the Bruins have sufficient cash this off-season.

In short- Grzelcyk is worth his salary, he is better than Clifton and Lauzon, and he has more value in a trade than Clifton or Lauzon. Grzelcyk being protected is the right call.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
You're not winning a cup with Gryz in your top four. Needs to be on the 3rd pair...I don't care about games vs Buffalo in November, he's not a good matchup physically for anyone's top 6 in the play-offs. I know he is great when the Bruins possess the puck and he can outchance anyone, but when they don't have the puck, and he needs to be strong in front of the net he's not good. We all know plus minus is flawed, but how come in the play-offs while he continues to get more chances is he always on for more goals against (last two seasons on for 15 for, 21 against) and when he's on the ice his goalies have less than a .900 sv pct the past two seasons?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It is the flavour of the month to hate on Grzelcyk, and it is obvious why- he is the poster boy for Sweeney's vision that Bruins fans hate, small and 'weak', and seen as a reason why we lost to the big bad Islanders. The idea that the Bruins should get bigger and meaner is an idea I also share and have since before the season started.

Here is my post from when Chara signed with Washington
Zdeno Chara signs with WASHINGTON

However, I still think Grzelcyk can be a top-four defenceman on a winning club, but he needs a no-nonsense defenceman to pair with him. Nevertheless, Grzelcyk isn't untouchable, and I think he can get something back in a trade. Imagine if a team needs some puck-moving from the back end, Grzelcyk could be an attractive option. Or if the Bruins trade for a talented left handed-defenceman, the other team will need a roster player (Grzelcyk) to fill the hole left.

What I don't understand is the desire to lose Grzelcyk for absolutely nothing. While it might hurt to lose a young and gritty cost-controlled defenceman in Lauzon, almost every team has a Lauzon on their roster or in the AHL.

The salary argument is foolish- he is the 84th highest paid defenceman in the league and will fall on that list after free agency. Grzelcyk's salary is commensurate with his play and experience, and the Bruins have sufficient cash this off-season.

In short- Grzelcyk is worth his salary, he is better than Clifton and Lauzon, and he has more value in a trade than Clifton or Lauzon. Grzelcyk being protected is the right call.

Not one defenseman in the final four this year was under 6 foot, never mind 5-9. The play-offs are just a different game.

His salary is rich for what I see is a 3rd pair defenseman come crunch time.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
You're not winning a cup with Gryz in your top four. Needs to be on the 3rd pair...I don't care about games vs Buffalo in November, he's not a good matchup physically for anyone's top 6 in the play-offs. I know he is great when the Bruins possess the puck and he can outchance anyone, but when they don't have the puck, and he needs to be strong in front of the net he's not good. We all know plus minus is flawed, but how come in the play-offs while he continues to get more chances is he always on for more goals against (last two seasons on for 15 for, 21 against) and when he's on the ice his goalies have less than a .900 sv pct the past two seasons?
Exactly, not to mention he will get injured at some point.
People can spin this all they want. Gryz cannot be in your 1st pair if you want to win a cup.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If Boston protect the guys I think they'll protect (and I think they'll protect Gryz), I think Clifton is going to be Seattle's choice. And honestly I don't think it's really even close and for a lot of the reasons Colt outlines in his original post.

The big one for me is how Clifton RAISES his game in the playoffs. He did it in 2019, he did it last year in the bubble. He didn't as much this year but his game was already raised up from previous years having played a lot in the regular season. Playoff Cliffy arrived back in February.

Clifton is the value pick from the Bruins. Good salary, has experienced 3 playoff runs now, right-shot. What I find is ignored is how when Miller and Carlo were absent this year, if was Clifton that picked up the slack playing more minutes and against tougher competition. Against the big bad Capitals he played 25 mins. in a 5-1 Bruins win.

There is a solid argument to make for Clifton over Gryz. It's not cut and dry. I still think the Bruins protect Gryz because I think they probably overvalue him to a degree. Even the ages aren't significantly different (Gryz is older by 7-8 months).

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Not one defenseman in the final four this year was under 6 foot, never mind 5-9. The play-offs are just a different game..
This is grade school level reasoning

After checking back 5 cup finals, there were plenty of defencemen 6ft and under. Granted, Grzelcyk would be the smallest from the list. But let's be glad one inch doesn't disqualfy someone :laugh:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This is grade school level reasoning

yeah why argue with success. Even at 5-9 he has a spot on my team on the third pair

where does Gryz fit on your Stanley Cup roster? If it’s top 4 enjoy one round and done,

so riddle me this. All these great analytics and yet the past two years hes been on for more goals against and his goalies have a sub 900 sv pct?

Will I get the typical defend your binky it’s everyone else’s fault?

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly, not to mention he will get injured at some point.
People can spin this all they want. Gryz cannot be in your 1st pair if you want to win a cup.

Depends on how they use the group.

Look at TB. They don't roll out some double-threat rock solid top pair as their top pairing all game long. Jan Ruuta who is often out there with Hedman, is averaging just 14 mins in this year's playoffs.

Their 3 LD (Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev) average more ice-time in the playoffs than their 3 RD (Cernak, Ruuta, and Savard). They coughed up a 1st round pick so David Savard could play under 15 mins. per game.

In 2020 they often rolled 7 D and everyone played with Hedman at times.

Do I want Gryz out there with C-Mac in the final minutes defending a lead? No, but with a well-rounded group they don't need to.

Can you do what some teams did and lean heavily on two pairs while ignoring your 3rd pair with Gryz as part of the top 4? Probably not because of Gryz's limitations in some situations.

But if you insulate your current D-men by adding better and more complimentary players, they can use Gryz fairly similar to last year (although him on PP 1 needs to stop, that's spot is C-Mac's now or at least it should be). That's what TB has done.

Meanwhile, that Big 4 in Montreal looks just about toast. Getting through 4 rounds leaning that heavily on 4 guys is challenging. The wear and tear takes it's toll whether it be small or large D-men. Fatigue is fatigue, doesn't matter the height or weight. Where the difference lies is the amount of energy the smaller D-man has to exert to win those net-front battles and battles in the corner. You would be amazed at how much energy and exertion even a quick corner battle takes out of you.

This comes down to Sweeney's ability to add to the group to support the current groups weaknesses. And the coaching staffs ability to think outside the box a bit and be creative with their utilization.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Depends on how they use the group.

Look at TB. They don't roll out some double-threat rock solid top pair as their top pairing all game long. Jan Ruuta who is often out there with Hedman, is averaging just 14 mins in this year's playoffs.

Their 3 LD (Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev) average more ice-time in the playoffs than their 3 RD (Cernak, Ruuta, and Savard). They coughed up a 1st round pick so David Savard could play under 15 mins. per game.

In 2020 they often rolled 7 D and everyone played with Hedman at times.

Do I want Gryz out there with C-Mac in the final minutes defending a lead? No, but with a well-rounded group they don't need to.

Can you do what some teams did and lean heavily on two pairs while ignoring your 3rd pair with Gryz as part of the top 4? Probably not because of Gryz's limitations in some situations.

But if you insulate your current D-men by adding better and more complimentary players, they can use Gryz fairly similar to last year (although him on PP 1 needs to stop, that's spot is C-Mac's now or at least it should be). That's what TB has done.

Meanwhile, that Big 4 in Montreal looks just about toast. Getting through 4 rounds leaning that heavily on 4 guys is challenging. The wear and tear takes it's toll whether it be small or large D-men. Fatigue is fatigue, doesn't matter the height or weight. Where the difference lies is the amount of energy the smaller D-man has to exert to win those net-front battles and battles in the corner. You would be amazed at how much energy and exertion even a quick corner battle takes out of you.

This comes down to Sweeney's ability to add to the group to support the current groups weaknesses. And the coaching staffs ability to think outside the box a bit and be creative with their utilization.
I can certainly agree with that. But we dont have a top 3 remotely comparable to Hedman, Mc and Sergachev, let alone having someone like Cernak or Savard as a 4 and 5. Actually, does anyone? Thats just insane and probably not something you can replicate. All this to say, a lot of work needs to be done on this defense.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
so riddle me this. All these great analytics and yet the past two years hes been on for more goals against and his goalies have a sub 900 sv pct?

Will I get the typical defend your binky it’s everyone else’s fault?
With the exception of Carlo, Miller, and Reilly, all Bruins defencemen have been on the ice for more goals against than scored. I mean, that's what happens when you lose playoff series.
PlayerTOIGFGASv%
McAvoy498:3019240.904
Grzelcyk403:1311180.900
Carlo378:1910100.944
Clifton271:129110.902
Reilly230:07740.958
Lauzon197:407140.859
Krug236:126110.893
Chara212:466100.915
Miller54:46330.893
Tinordi48:07001.000
Moore14:49010875
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Source: Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Should the Bruins trade everyone with the exception of Carlo, Reilly, and Miller? Or maybe it is easier to admit that things like goals for, goals against, and Sv% also depend on your secondary unit scoring and your goalie saving shots? Looking at these stats, few come out smelling of roses.

While it is useful and shows Grzelcyk might be asked to do too much, I have been yelling the Bruins need to get a 20 minute defencemen since the start of and throughout the season.

Annual Grade the Deadline Thread 2021
A-

You get the most coveted guy at the deadline, you get an A, they also improved depth on the defence.

The Bruins probably needed to get a 20 minute a night defencemen considering only McAvoy is averaging more than 20 minutes a night.

Zdeno Chara IV
Yeah, unless the Bruins can trade for a LHD who can play 20 minutes a night, it's not a wise decision to let Chara go and play the kids. Being down two defensemen [chara and krug] isn't a wise choice.

So I am not saying Grzelcyk is the top-two LHD the Bruins need, but I think he can be a top four guy in the right grouping regardless of his height. If the Bruins had a player like Ekholm, I think we can roll with Grzelcyk in the top four.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
I have said from day one that Cliffy is a better d-man than the credit he receives. Gryz is injury prone and Cliffy just seems to absorb the heavy hard hits and feeds off of it. He is a great skater and can carry the puck better than Grz. Cliffy does deserve more playing time on the PP but will Cassidy allow it. Cassidy seems to have his favorites and I never cared for a coach who shows partiality. If you have earned the time then give it and I don't see that with Butch.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

To me most defensive groups are more about the sum of their parts than the quality of the individual players. I think you'll find the vast majority of Cup teams have had one outright star on D - most recently Hedman, Pietrangelo and Carlson. But beyond that it's more about getting the right mix. And there is absolutely room for a Gryz in a Cup-winning 6, and it could be on the 2nd pair, as long as there's enough capable bigger bodies around him. If you look at Tampa, they're different types of players, but surely Gryz offers you more overall than Jan Rutta, who's been getting time with Hedman. Putting aside the fact that Rutta and Matt play different sides, if you put Gryz in that team in Jan's place, Tampa's still winning Cups.

Gryz's problem on the Bruins is he's simply being asked to do too much. You need a high quality puck mover on your team, and Gryz is definitely that. He's capable enough in his own end, but he needs some sheltering the way Krug used to be, and he needs a strong partner who knows when and how to bail him out, can play that solid shutdown role, and doesn't mind occasionally being the lone guy sitting back in the neutral zone. That's not McAvoy, who's too good to be a complimentary, shutdown player, and doesn't play in that fashion. It should have been Carlo, and that was the original plan this year. Carlo and Krug worked pretty well. Not perfect, but if you look at their run in the 2019 playoffs it was more than solid for the most part. But for whatever reason Gryz and Carlo just haven't gelled. I think that's partly due to one or the other being injured for long stretches, but even so it always seemed like Brandon struggled to read and adapt to the way Matt played. And then of course we lost Carlo in the end again anyway.

So with Lauzon not doing well enough to trust him with top pair minutes, as was always likely to be the case, and Reilly and Zboril not being good enough, 1LD fell mostly to Gryz almost by default. And that was just too much for him. Adding Reilly helped to a point in giving the Bs another handy transition player, but it doesn't change the fact that Sweeney tried to cheat on D and didn't get away with it. Once he failed to add a genuine top 4 LD before the deadline, I knew the Bruins were doomed, no matter what they did up front. Our D group simply wasn't strong enough, both in diversity and quality of talent and in its literal strength and size, and that's no more Gryz's fault than any of the other players.

Matt Grzelcyk is a good hockey player. His regular season numbers are elite, but his playoffs are not, and that's what makes him good rather than great, because he simply lacks the ability to consistently cut through with the reduced time and space that you get in the postseason, and he gets pushed around and worn down a little too often. To me he's still worth his salary. Of course Clifton is a lot cheaper and he offers great value for his cap hit. He's more reliable and durable in his own end than Gryz in playoff games, but he's more prone to making poor decisions than Gryz. And most importantly he doesn't have Matt's ability in skating with and moving the puck. Not even close. And much as I like Cliffy, that's the reason why for me it's a no brainer that you protect Gryz over Clifton - the Bruins have enough trouble moving the puck in transition as it is. Removing Gryz, who's talent in that regard is well above average, would be hugely detrimental. They can't replace it internally, nor get anyone on free agency who offers comparable ability for under $4 mil p.a. So IMO they have to retain Matt, over both Cliffy and Lauzon.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I can recall when the thinking was "You can't win a Cup with Tim Thomas in goal".

However, Grzelcyk has been a minus player in all four playoff seasons he's been in. Big or small, that's not a good sign.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't have a problem with either guy.....but that's the key --- either, not both. While trends come and go in the game, it's clear that right now the emphasis is on punishing defensemen in order to create turnovers or to wear them down.

It's become so clear to me that I'm starting to question the thoughts that I've formed regarding upgrading the forward ranks, only weeks ago.

Meaning --- if you asked me at the beginning of the playoffs what would your ideal off season be? I would have replied, re-sign Hall and Krejci and get at least two more 20-25 goal forwards and a defenseman.

Today, I'm still all for re-signing Hall and Krejci, but in order to have a shot at the cup, I'd say they need to add 2 defensemen and 2 bottom 6 forwards that hit and can chip in offensively, while getting rid of a redundant defenseman or two.

To put it in terms of names/players: Start of playoffs I'd have pushed for them to sign TH an DK as well as Savard, Martinez or Oleksiak, while adding a Garland and Hyman/Saad.

Today: re-sign TH and DK sign one of Hyman and two of Savard, Oleksiak, Martinez, etc. While moving one of Grzelcyk, Clifton and adding a couple of Coleman, McGinn types.

I'm much more comfortable with this defense corps: McAvoy, Carlo, Lauzon, Oleksiak, Savard, Clifton/Grzelcyk.

Than I am with: McAvoy, Carlo, Lauzon, Oleksiak or Savard, Clifton and Grzelcyk.

None of it will happen of course....but I think they're better off focusing their efforts on building a sturdy defense.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I can recall when the thinking was "You can't win a Cup with Tim Thomas in goal".

However, Grzelcyk has been a minus player in all four playoff seasons he's been in. Big or small, that's not a good sign.

To me, Gryz on the 3rd pair is an absolute weapon. Gryz w mac when the Bruins are behind and making a push, go for it. He's just not a top 4 guy though overall IMO.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I have a better idea, lets worry about how we are going to replace the bottom-six forward and add a guy that can score goals so we need to worry less about Gryz being a small person.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
With the exception of Carlo, Miller, and Reilly, all Bruins defencemen have been on the ice for more goals against than scored. I mean, that's what happens when you lose playoff series.
PlayerTOIGFGASv%
McAvoy498:3019240.904
Grzelcyk403:1311180.900
Carlo378:1910100.944
Clifton271:129110.902
Reilly230:07740.958
Lauzon197:407140.859
Krug236:126110.893
Chara212:466100.915
Miller54:46330.893
Tinordi48:07001.000
Moore14:49010875
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Source: Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Should the Bruins trade everyone with the exception of Carlo, Reilly, and Miller? Or maybe it is easier to admit that things like goals for, goals against, and Sv% also depend on your secondary unit scoring and your goalie saving shots? Looking at these stats, few come out smelling of roses.

While it is useful and shows Grzelcyk might be asked to do too much, I have been yelling the Bruins need to get a 20 minute defencemen since the start of and throughout the season.

Annual Grade the Deadline Thread 2021

Zdeno Chara IV

So I am not saying Grzelcyk is the top-two LHD the Bruins need, but I think he can be a top four guy in the right grouping regardless of his height. If the Bruins had a player like Ekholm, I think we can roll with Grzelcyk in the top four.

Career McAvoy has been on ice for 81 gf and 62 ga. Krug was 90 vs 54. Chara 171 to 150. Gryz is 37 t0 40. He's just not a top 4. Another guy that isn't great is Brandon Carlo but at least his goalies have a .929 sv pct lifetime when he's on the ice. Gryz has been .913, .920 (on the 3rd pair), .894 and this year .890... That is absolutely putrid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad