Assuming the Pens don't win the Cup, where does this season rank in terms of disappointment?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hard to be that disappointed. People have such high expectations. And I get that.But Sid still has over a PPG. Hard to call his season a disappointment unless you think 30 YO Sid should be putting up 100 point seasons. Malkin may do that this year but it's not an expectation I have of either of them any more given their age. Phil has put up the most points he ever has in a season.

Murray has been dog shit. That's disappointing to me because I thought he'd be an elite goalie year after year. I'm hoping this is just an off year and he can get it back. Ditto for Letang. The rest of the team has more or less done what they should. I'd like a bit more out of Guentzel I suppose. He's capable of it I think.

I'm fine with any playoff result. I just want to get in at this point. Missing entirely would be the only real way I could be disappointed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As others have said, I won’t be disappointed with a playoff exit in a vacuum given the past two Cups...But I will be extremely disappointed if they don’t show up with a lot of effort and want-to. I’ll be disappointed with losing to a Metro team if they get outplayed. But if some goalie stands on his head or the bounces don’t go their way, it happens...I’ll be ok with that result

I don’t think they’re the best in the East anyway and I fully expect, even if they win the Metro, that will lose to better teams in the Atlantic....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It wouldn't be a disappointment at all. I'm not expecting them to not win the cup, it's absurdly unreasonable to think that they will. If they make it out of the 1st round, I wouldn't be disappointed at all. If they lose in the 1st round in a hard fought series against a good team, I also wouldn't be disappointed. The only way I'd be disappointed with their season is if they lose to the Flyers or Devils in round 1, a team that they should be beating but they just play bad and lose.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
It's refreshing to see these level headed responses because I honestly just shake my head at some of the indignation and outrage I see about personnel moves that, quite honestly, are not the reason this team will or will not win a cup this season.

The way I interpret some of the commentary here sometimes, it seems for some the expectation is to go undefeated.

To each their own, but I'm too old to hang on every move or game like it matters as much as the playoffs do.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
You're always disappointed when your favorite team doesn't win.

But they just won two consecutive Cups...............

Really tough to be more than slightly disappointed.

OP - in regards to your post about people being so mad, I don't think that's in regards to Cup chances, it's most likely a response to seeing a very talented team playing with little effort and heart the past 4 weeks.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
We just won two cups i won't be dissapointed more than a day. I'm expecting a first round loss... but I've been reading and posting much less because I can't handle the negativity. You read these boards and it's as if sullivan is the worst coach in the league and the pens haven't won the cup since 1975.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just realized the username of the thread starter: Selfish Man. Hoarding all the Cups. Nobody else can win!

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I won't even be close to disappointed as long as we're in the playoffs. I'd be disappointed and kind of embarrassed if we missed the playoff, but short of that everything is fine.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with this team. The defensive corps' structure cannot succeed. The #1 is a mess, #2-5 are each playing at least one spot higher than they should be, and Chad Ruhwedel and Matt Hunwick are #9's on a Cup winner, yet one of them has to receive regular ice time.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with this team. The defensive corps' structure cannot succeed. The #1 is a mess, #2-5 are each playing at least one spot higher than they should be, and Chad Ruhwedel and Matt Hunwick are #9's on a Cup winner, yet one of them has to receive regular ice time.

And I guess it didn't really occur to me fully until I saw it all written out... but my goodness is this half-shit defense expensive.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I see a lot of hand-wringing in every GDT and PGT, which is par for the course around here. What I'm wondering though, is if you are honest with yourself, how disappointed will you be if the Pens don't win a third straight Cup this season?

For me, I have to say that it doesn't even move the needle. I really want to win and think that it'd be legacy cementing stuff if they do. That said, the odds were long at the start of the season and I counted any success this season as playing with house money.

In terms of disappointing outcomes, 1993 has to be the peak. That team seemed to be the stuff of dynasty. Instead, injuries, coaching changes and inconsistent goaltending prevented them from ever reaching the mountaintop again. 1993 was shattering.

2010 and 2013 were up there as well. Teams that woulda, shoulda, coulda, but ultimately flopped.

Even 2001 was more disappointing with how abruptly the Cinderella return of Mario crashed to a halt against the Devils in the conference finals.

I can't be the only one who can't get all that worked up over the fact that the Pens probably aren't going to make history (again) this season. (Plus, I love me some reverse jinx)

I've maintained from the beginning that after winning the Cup two years in a row, this season is a success so long as the Pens make the playoffs. Fatigue (mental even more than physical) is a factor. A third-straight Cup was always a pipe dream. I wouldn't complain if they pulled it off, but I certainly don't expect it. It's always disappointing to have the season end with a loss, but the disappointment factor won't be terribly high.

I will admit that I've recently amended that statement though: they can't lose to the Flyers in the playoffs, either. That would be a huge disappointment - I hate the Flyers ;)

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Still comes down to our stars and Murray. We won it all last year with

-Letang out
-Rowney playing 20 games
-Wilson on the 2nd line
-Hornqvist missing games, not 100% when he returned, on 4th line.
- Hagelin playing hurt and barely doing anything
- Bonino missing most of the cup

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Guentzel was too much for teams to stop. And Murray/Fleury had a combined .930 sv %.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think as long as we're not eliminated by the Flyers, I won't be too disappointed.

Though I might have an aneurysm if our elimination results in a bunch of "See, I TOLD you all that Toews was better!" threads on the Mainboards.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think as long as we're not eliminated by the Flyers, I won't be too disappointed.

Though I might have an aneurysm if our elimination results in a bunch of "See, I TOLD you all that Toews was better!" threads on the Mainboards.

Thousands of people have posts saved on their devices(some over a year old probably counting on a last year exit) just waiting to put them out there once the Pens lose.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Only way I'm disappointed is if we flame out hard in the first round. This team is to talented and capable of much more then they have shown. Yes our defense is a mess right now, but at least part of that is on our forward corp not committing to defense at the right times. Thing is this team if it gets it's act together even with this cast on defense *can* beat any team in the league. It just looks like the will to do so is just not there.

will beats skill, but when skill shows will no one else has a chance ;)

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You know what. in the Geno-Sid era we won three cups and went to four finals. I might not be happy with how we're playing currently or if we get bounced in the 1st round. But I feel very satisfied, fortunate and blessed to see these accomplishments and achievements we've had the pleasure to experience in this era.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have been very anxious watching some s.... games this year, and will be cheering this team to go as far as it can go. But even if they don't make play offs my dissapointment level would be ZERO. These guys are human and if they just could not pull themselves to do it again, This group with Jim and Sully provided us with so mmuch joy and excitement two years in a row.

Gary Roberts

Have you seen my father?
Oct 23, 2009
I would probably rank around the same as the '95 team and the '12 teams in terms of my disappointment. Both of those teams were loaded with talent but seemed to lack every intangible necessary to win a championship.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
As long as we win one round then I'm fine with that, would be hard to call it a disappointment after that. Would be 9 straight playoff series wins. No-one has done that since the Red Wings and the Penguins before that.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
No I won't be disappointed. They accomplished something already that hadn't been done in 20 years. It would absolutely amazing if they could threepeat for the first time since the early 80's. However, if they don't then it won't come close to the disappointment I felt following the '93 playoffs and the infamous Volek goal. Worst loss that I suffered as a Penguin fan.

I will say that I will be disappointed if the effort was what we saw in Detroit. If they play hard and give it their all in every game and come up short well then you just have to tip your cap to whoever the opponent is. I would love to see them flick that switch that we talk about but I just want them to play like they are focused and not just going through the motions. I realize it's easy for me to say since I haven't played all those games in two years but I would I hope they play with intensity and pride.

Reactions: ColePens

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3