Assuming the Pens don't win the Cup, where does this season rank in terms of disappointment?

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
I see a lot of hand-wringing in every GDT and PGT, which is par for the course around here. What I'm wondering though, is if you are honest with yourself, how disappointed will you be if the Pens don't win a third straight Cup this season?

For me, I have to say that it doesn't even move the needle. I really want to win and think that it'd be legacy cementing stuff if they do. That said, the odds were long at the start of the season and I counted any success this season as playing with house money.

In terms of disappointing outcomes, 1993 has to be the peak. That team seemed to be the stuff of dynasty. Instead, injuries, coaching changes and inconsistent goaltending prevented them from ever reaching the mountaintop again. 1993 was shattering.

2010 and 2013 were up there as well. Teams that woulda, shoulda, coulda, but ultimately flopped.

Even 2001 was more disappointing with how abruptly the Cinderella return of Mario crashed to a halt against the Devils in the conference finals.

I can't be the only one who can't get all that worked up over the fact that the Pens probably aren't going to make history (again) this season. (Plus, I love me some reverse jinx)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A lot of ego issues that have really bothered me with this season.

Using the words "Swagger & Accountability" and then not really understanding it or applying it to this team at all. Just flat out inconsistent and that goes for pretty much everyone on the team. Personal stuff or not, Murray has been ass for most of this season too and Crosby, good god, 4 goal streak aside, his play this year is an embodiment of the Pens season.

Reactions: Selfish Man

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
'93 WILL ALWAYS BE the biggest punch to the gut to experience. That team was so talented and deep they were scary good. This team couldn't hold a candle to them. It will be disappointing if we lose but that loss to the Isles in '93, that Volek goal, it was unimaginable. I still have nightmares over that one.

Since the trade deadline a month ago I've lowered my expectations about this team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
'93 WILL ALWAYS BE the biggest punch to the gut to experience. That team was so talented and deep they were scary good. This team couldn't hold a candle to them. It will be disappointing if we lose but that loss to the Isles in '93, that Volek goal, it was unimaginable. I still have nightmares over that one.

Since the trade deadline a month ago I've lowered my expectations about this team.

1993 isn't a bitter year for me. One our best wingers literally broke his face and we lost in OT while being too confident while losing a key player.

This year's version hasn't even worked hard enough to be cocky like that 1993 team. They are just a sad sack team that limps into games and barely shows up even those.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Meh, not really disappointing at all. Winning the Cup back to back in the salary cap era had never happened before for good reason. It takes a lot out of your team and last year they really had to gut it out. Two very short offseasons and a lot of bruises and turnover have clearly effected this team.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
If they miraculously fail to make the playoffs or lose in the first round, Ill be disappointed. After that, there are some good teams we will be playing second round on. Its been a rough season but after back to back cups, but it seems like people think we are entitled to keep winning as though there arent 30 other teams gunning for the same thing. Weve had some turnover, sure, but not more than you would expect for a team spending to the cap. Some big guys are playing a little worse, some better. But all in all, I expect us to put up a fight in the playoffs and I honestly think this team is in a good position going into next year even if we do fail to win the cup.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It depends when they'd be knocked out and how they looked doing it. I mean, the odds are always against winning the Cup. They are even more against back to back. And they are even more against a three-peat.

If they go in and play hard and lose to a good hockey team in 6 or 7 games, it'll be sad, but I won't feel like the team let me down or anything. They'd have to really stink up the place for me to be really disappointed at this point.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It depends when they'd be knocked out and how they looked doing it. I mean, the odds are always against winning the Cup. They are even more against back to back. And they are even more against a three-peat.

If they go in and play hard and lose to a good hockey team in 6 or 7 games, it'll be sad, but I won't feel like the team let me down or anything. They'd have to really stink up the place for me to be really disappointed at this point.

Bingo. Go out with a whimper in Round 1? Highly disappointed. Lose a 7 game epic vs Tampa or Boston in Round 3? Can more than live with it.

The season itself would have been super disappointing if I didn't have really low expectations though. The team clearly can do so much more but is simply dreaming of the play-offs too much.

Reactions: Andy99

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
1993 was pretty disappointing. 2013 was lack luster.
2018 would be no where near as disheartening as those years. I am perfectly fine with 2 cups in a row. I just hope they play like they care as much as we do. Win or lose, I would be okay with that.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, ya can't really answer that til the locker room is cleared the last time for this season.
How and when do they bow out? Versus who?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It’ll depend on how it happens. I struggle with this topic because I can’t assume they won’t win.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Only disappointment is NHL hockey season will be over.

Edit: I mean, I'm a fan and enjoy letting my emotions run wild with the Pens and make some outlandish posts here. But in the end, it's just pro sports and entertainment, so it literally does not matter. My life will go on. It's just more fun to say a team you like isn't garbage.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Hard to be disappointed for 2 reasons: They've already accomplished a repeat which is quite remarkable considering how the league is structured. This isn't basketball.

The 2nd reason is that there are better teams top-to-bottom this season. I'm looking at Winnipeg, Boston, and Tampa. Our top-end talent might edge those teams, but the skill/speed/size of their depth guys is superior to ours.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
If they never turn it on I'll be disappointed. But lots of good teams in the league this year and they just won b2b. Hard to ask for more

Reactions: KIRK

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
It's pathetic that the season has been so uninspiring that we as fans are already getting content with the idea of a playoff exit. It feels like the team has been getting slower and slower and is relaying on players skating hard instead of skating fast, but they are not doing either this season. I can't count out this team because of their winning experience, but I feel like we might be progressing in the wrong direction. 93 would be worse obviously, but this season has been dull and wasted so far.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Rather them lose in the first round than have them play another 20+ games losing in the cup. So if they get that far, no turning back..disappointed if they dont win it all. If they lose in first or 2nd..ill just chalk it up to them not having it this year with all of the turnover and games played(not to mention the ridiculous schedule)...and be excited for them to go for 3 in 4 years next season.

Theyd be coming off more rest. Few changes will be made. The younger guys will have more experience. Brassard will be better. Sprong. Etc. There would be alot to look forward to next year even if we lose early in the playoffs.

Itd be great if they won it all, and id obviously choose that option, but then next year would be more of the same. By then id hope people dont care how they look in the season tho. Winning 3 in a row, thered be absolutely nothing to question.

So only way id be disappointed is if they get far..close to winning it all and dont. Then i would look at the deadline , what "could/should" have been , etc.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We all like to complain in the GDT and whatnot but I think if you asked just about anyone here they wouldn't be able to tell you with a straight face that this ranks as anything close to one of their more disappointing seasons. They've had quite a lot of success the last couple of seasons, especially. And there are reasonable factors that play into their unevenness this year. I personally figured that there would be a dip this year in performance and in some ways they've even exceeding my expectations.

Though, to be sure, there have certainly been super disappointing elements to this season. Malkin coming so close only to bottom out being one. Their performance down the stretch endangering their chance at the dance being another big one (still as of yet undetermined).

I think there are some personnel issues on this team that need addressed in the offseason, though. I'm not going to put the whole year just on fatigue. Their defense is expensive and not up to par, as one example. Lots of teams the Penguins directly compete with got better this year while the Penguins, IMO, absolutely did not.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It's pathetic that the season has been so uninspiring that we as fans are already getting content with the idea of a playoff exit. It feels like the team has been getting slower and slower and is relaying on players skating hard instead of skating fast, but they are not doing either this season. I can't count out this team because of their winning experience, but I feel like we might be progressing in the wrong direction. 93 would be worse obviously, but this season has been dull and wasted so far.

Have to lose sometime. Its not like people are content with never winning another cup during the crosby/malkin era. Just because we won back to back. Most just realize how hard it is to keep it going, without a long offseason..and losing as many players as we did.

They wouldnt have looked this way during the season if they werent coming off back to back cups, thats what most realize.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
It wouldn't be a disappointment. I may be a little bummed, but that's pretty much it. Being able to experience 2 back to back cups, 1 the first time in the cap era, and 5 all together is way more than most fans will ever get to experience in their lifetime. They aren't going to win every cup from here to eternity, so why not appreciate what we've accomplished compared what we didn't.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Wouldn't really be any more or less disappointing than any other season for me. We have two guys that will go down in history as some of the very best to ever play the game, so that comes with certain expectations every season. But the whole threepeat thing is whatever. It's damn near miraculous we won two in a row, three was always going to be exceedingly unlikely.

This team's been flawed for two full seasons. It's not like we're a 60-win team, beating opponents by 3+ goals a night, every night. This is a mighty average team propped up by a few guys with elite talent, and the same was true last season as well. If we win again, I'll celebrate as hard as anyone. If we lose, whatever. That's hockey. I am almost more interested/invested in what JR does this summer to reshape the roster and bring in new bodies. Urgency, hunger and fresh legs are some of the biggest weaknesses in this organization right now, I'd say. I hope JR can address that.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
The goalie and defense play, plus Sid's play for most of the season, really lowered the Pens' expectations.

I don't know if it's because they're missing the vet leaders like Kunitz and Cullen, but this is clearly not the same team as last year.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It depends how they lose.

If the Pens lose a hard fought series i wouldn't be disappointed.

If the Pens lose in the playoffs because they got outworked i'd be disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad