Assuming the Pens don't win the Cup, where does this season rank in terms of disappointment?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Meh, not really disappointing at all. Winning the Cup back to back in the salary cap era had never happened before for good reason. It takes a lot out of your team and last year they really had to gut it out. Two very short offseasons and a lot of bruises and turnover have clearly effected this team.

I'm not going to be that disappointed if they lose, so this season doesn't even come close to ranking among the biggest frustrations I've had with a Penguins season.

Once the Pens won the back to back Cups to finally add that extra bit of legacy to the Crosby/Malkin era, I was fine with them not winning again. 3 Cups in their career is more than Mario/Jagr did.

So while there will be some disappointment they couldn't pull off the three-peat, it'll be muted by the fact I'm already content with their legacy at this point.

Reactions: Turin

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
I just want to watch my team play some good quality playoff hockey. The more the better of course, but that's all I ask.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There are 31 teams in this league, I've been alive for 31 years, and I just watched my team go back-to-back for the second time in my life with another one thrown in there in a year the Steelers also won.

As far as I'm concerned I'm playing with house money right now. Frustrated would be a more appropriate word than disappointed, as there's really nothing this team could have done (short of pulling an Edmonton) that would result in me being disappointed. I'm frustrated with the way this team is playing right now, not disappointed. Frustration burns off a hell of a lot more quickly than disappointment.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I will be extremely surprised if they even get to the finals this year. Such a difficult thing to do once but to be going for a third straight!!! So disappointment will not be anything I would experience but rather appreciation for what they accomplished

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The only way I’d be disappointed at all is if the team became an embarrassing shitshow like 2012. Thankfully that will never happen again under Sully and with this core group.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
The mere fact that this thread exists is spectacular!

No wonder we're hated. :laugh:

Until proven otherwise, I choose to believe that twelve straight series wins is only a scant 16 W's away.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
A lot of ego issues that have really bothered me with this season.

Using the words "Swagger & Accountability" and then not really understanding it or applying it to this team at all. Just flat out inconsistent and that goes for pretty much everyone on the team. Personal stuff or not, Murray has been ass for most of this season too and Crosby, good god, 4 goal streak aside, his play this year is an embodiment of the Pens season.
DK has a pretty decent article today about the players needing to just shut up and play.

What he meant was that after every ugly loss they all rehash the same tired lines about needing to have urgency and learn their lesson but then do the same thing over and over again.

Enough talking. Let’s start doing.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We just won two back to back Cups.

It's gravy from here on out.

Frankly the Bylsma era was a hell of a lot more disappointing, 2009 Cup win aside of course.

There’s just so many miserable Pens fans, it’s really perplexing...
The Pens were a wasteland for more than a decade before Sid and Geno, and after Sid and Geno it will be the Dark Ages and we’ll be lucky to get fresh water and electricity...
Just enjoy the Renaissance while it lasts....

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
DK has a pretty decent article today about the players needing to just shut up and play.

What he meant was that after every ugly loss they all rehash the same tired lines about needing to have urgency and learn their lesson but then do the same thing over and over again.

We will see tomm night if they can flip that switch. No reason not to treat that like a playoff game.

They can go back to coasting around again on Sat against the Habs.

Last edited:

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
We will see tomm night if they can flip that switch. No reason not to treat that like a playoff game.

They can go back to coasting around again on Fri against the Habs.
But if they lose against NJ tomorrow night, there’s still no need to worry right? Pens are a lock for the playoffs and won’t REALLY flip that switch until the games really matter...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Oh man, we are so spoiled... Imagine being a fan of Buffalo, Washington, Vancouver, etc. Zero cups...

Hell, most original six teams haven’t really experienced anything like this. Nobody cares about Cups in a 6 team league. Toronto has been around for a hundred years and have yet to have a player like Malkin on their roster, meanwhile Pittsburgh has had 4 players equal to or better in half that time.

Reactions: EightyOne

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

DK is an idiot. They are obligated to do media. DK is asking the annoying question. The pens are answering with standard bs answers. Calling players out and telling them to shut up when they are obligated to answer is stupid .

Stupid article from a phony writer.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
DK is an idiot. They are obligated to do media. DK is asking the annoying question. The pens are answering with standard bs answers. Calling players out and telling them to shut up when they are obligated to answer is stupid .

Stupid article from a phony writer.
DK May very well be an idiot but he wasn’t talking about the players shutting up in regards to talking to the media because that would ridiculous while he had a microphone shoved in their face.

He was talking about the Pens actually putting all their TALK about what is wrong and what they need to do better into action on the ice.

The same thing has been said over and over again by the players and the coaches:

Need better defensive structure.

Everyone needs to be more responsible.

Need to minimize mistakes and be more disciplined.

Need to “play the right way”.

Need to play with more “swagger”.

Need to support each other more.

Need better breakouts and transition game.

They’ve identified the issues and repeatedly talk about needing to fix them but nothing changes in the ice.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
And I’ll add, when Rust took that tripping penalty against the Wings, the Pens bench was chirping the refs HARD about it and Sully angrily said “just shut up and play”.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
For a hockey fan with no rooting interest, the Pens v Flyers series was probably awesome to watch. For a Penguins fan that drove out to Pittsburgh to see a game during that series, f***ing y i k e s.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yes winning two cups back to back is a terrific accomplishment. How many times in our lifetimes will your team be in the position to win 3 or maybe 4 in row? The Pens still have at least a couple more years of Crosby and Malkin and I just feel that it were to end this year a position like this would never be possible again. So it would be a pretty big disappointment because I think the management could have done a better job of helping this thing keep going.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
1993 isn't a bitter year for me. One our best wingers literally broke his face and we lost in OT while being too confident while losing a key player.

This year's version hasn't even worked hard enough to be cocky like that 1993 team. They are just a sad sack team that limps into games and barely shows up even those.

Stevens broke his face in game 7. The Isles were without 132-point Pierre Turgeon for the entire series (courtesy of Dale Hunter). Not winning the Cup is one thing... Watching the season with Lemieux's cancer comeback and subsequent win streak record end like that was a bitter, bitter pill.

Would've been much better to lose against a Patrick Roy or Wayne Gretzky squad.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
The NHL is so different now. There's no coasting through the regular season no matter how much skill you have. Pens have had to work their balls off for 3 straight seasons. I went into this season expecting them to run out of gas but now that the playoffs are in sight, I'm hoping for a "switch" to be turned on...

I think short of a shit kicking like Chicago got in last year's playoffs, I won't feel too much disappointment.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't think we're going to round two, so that's extremely disappointing given the talent level.

I hope I'm wrong.

But it will be nice to sit back and watch awesome hockey without having a heart attack every game I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->