Assuming a 7 year deal, what does Nylander sign for?

Assuming a 7 year deal, what does Nylander sign for?

• 6-6.24

• 6.25-6.49

• 6.5-6.74

• 6.75-6.99

• 7-7.24

• 7.25-7.49

• 7.5-7.74

• 7.75-7.99

• 8+

Results are only viewable after voting.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
If he signs a 7 year deal, I can't imagine he'll sign for less than 8.

If he does, he needs to fire his agent.

Over the last 5 years, the only players who've scored more points in their first 2 full seasons are Panarin, McDavid, Laine, Matthews, and Marner.

He's not getting 8, there is absolutely no chance we pay 8 for him.

If he wants 8, he can enjoy going to play on some non Stanley cup contender.

That last statistic is so deceptively wrong, Eichel outpaced him, Barzal crushes him, Pasta just has been in the league longer due to being better and he is much closer to someone like Ehlers who got SIX MILLION not 8 than he is to the guys you named.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
If he signs a 7 year deal, I can't imagine he'll sign for less than 8.

If he does, he needs to fire his agent.

Over the last 5 years, the only players who've scored more points in their first 2 full seasons are Panarin, McDavid, Laine, Matthews, and Marner.

Where do you get this? Ehlers (barely) did

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
With a 7-year contract, Nylander would be giving up 3 UFA years. The longer the term in his next contract, the higher the AAV will have to be. More reasons why I think so in another thread about Nylander (https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/149023155/) .
Incorrect, he has 5 years of rfa left. He did not play 40 games in 15-16. If ehlers signed for 7 years at 6m then Nylander should be in the same area. Ehlers deal covers 4 rfa and 3 ufa and begins this season.
There’s no logical comparables that have him making 7+ let alone 8.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Where do you get this? Ehlers (barely) did

Ehlers scored 38 points in his first full season.

He's not getting 8, there is absolutely no chance we pay 8 for him.

If he wants 8, he can enjoy going to play on some non Stanley cup contender.

That last statistic is so deceptively wrong, Eichel outpaced him, Barzal crushes him, Pasta just has been in the league longer due to being better and he is much closer to someone like Ehlers who got SIX MILLION not 8 than he is to the guys you named.

There's nothing deceptive about that stat.

Eichel outpaced Nylander barely and he's making 10 mil per, Barzal has only played one season and hasn't signed an extension yet so we don't know what he's gonna get, and Pastrnak and Ehlers signed their deals with only one high-end season under their belts.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Ehlers scored 38 points in his first full season.

There's nothing deceptive about that stat.

Eichel outpaced Nylander barely and he's making 10 mil per, Barzal has only played one season and hasn't signed an extension yet so we don't know what he's gonna get, and Pastrnak and Ehlers signed their deals with only one high-end season under their belts.

Ofc it's deceptive, you are trying to put him in a league of elite players, honestly, he is probably much closer to being in the 15-25 area for guys his age than he is ANYWHERE near the top 5 in his age group.

It's also not Ehlers fault he was more NHL ready than Willie was, he is a far closer comparable than the other guys you listed.

We are not paying 8 for a winger not named Marner, Nylander hasn't earned this at all and his playoff last year showed he still has a long way to go, definitely NOT an 8 million dollar player.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Seem like every conceivable long term figure has been thrown back and forth between the two sides. To me, 6.75m for 7 is reasonable. But if they can't agree on long term, look what Reinhart and the Sabres did,. 3.625m X 2 years...same draft year and last year Nylander and Reinhart weren't that far apart in offensive numbers. Then 4.25m X 2 could be considered reasonable. I really think the Leafs have comparables are on their side in an argument for a number long term number under 7m. Not that I blame Nylander for apparently wanting more, but leverage and history doesn't seem to be on his side of the argument right now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ofc it's deceptive, you are trying to put him in a league of elite players, honestly, he is probably much closer to being in the 15-25 area for guys his age than he is ANYWHERE near the top 5 in his age group.

It's also not Ehlers fault he was more NHL ready than Willie was, he is a far closer comparable than the other guys you listed.

We are not paying 8 for a winger not named Marner, Nylander hasn't earned this at all and his playoff last year showed he still has a long way to go, definitely NOT an 8 million dollar player.

The Leafs can choose to pay or not pay Nylander whatever they want, and you can put him in whatever tier you like. I'm just crunching numbers here.

If Ehlers wanted to bet on himself, he could have waited 'til the end of his 3rd year to see if he could put another 60+ point season in his back pocket before he went to the negotiating table. I'm sure that would have bumped his per annum.

Nylander may well take less than 8 on a long-term for the good of the team, but I don't think he has to. As far as the playoffs are concerned, he just doubled Matthews' point total, and I'm pretty sure that guy's gonna get paid regardless.

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
Burke talks negotiating with Nylander's agent during Gaudreau saga - Sportsnet.ca

“I can only tell you, this agent [who’s representing Nylander] represented Johnny Gaudreau, made some demands which we’ve never really made public when I worked for the Flames, because we thought people would resent them,” Burke said Saturday in a discussion with David Amber and Nick Kypreos. “It doesn’t cost William Nylander anything [right now]. He hasn’t lost a cent yet. He’ll lose money starting Wednesday night.

After reading the above.... I`m not so sure it`s all about the money!

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Burke talks negotiating with Nylander's agent during Gaudreau saga - Sportsnet.ca

“I can only tell you, this agent [who’s representing Nylander] represented Johnny Gaudreau, made some demands which we’ve never really made public when I worked for the Flames, because we thought people would resent them,” Burke said Saturday in a discussion with David Amber and Nick Kypreos. “It doesn’t cost William Nylander anything [right now]. He hasn’t lost a cent yet. He’ll lose money starting Wednesday night.

After reading the above.... I`m not so sure it`s all about the money!
Well the player has no rights to ntc or nmc until his 27yo season so that’s out the window, I’m thinking the demands are playing C and PP1 or strictly dollar amount. I remember people saying gaudreau would command north of 7 and he settled under that.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
The Leafs can choose to pay or not pay Nylander whatever they want, and you can put him in whatever tier you like. I'm just crunching numbers here.

If Ehlers wanted to bet on himself, he could have waited 'til the end of his 3rd year to see if he could put another 60+ point season in his back pocket before he went to the negotiating table. I'm sure that would have bumped his per annum.

Nylander may well take less than 8 on a long-term for the good of the team, but I don't think he has to. As far as the playoffs are concerned, he just doubled Matthews' point total, and I'm pretty sure that guy's gonna get paid regardless.

So am I, he has done nothing to earn that money and he has no leverage, being traded would do awful for his long term earning potential because there will be much fewer endorsement deals wherever he goes.

Matthews is another stratosphere of player, they both had awful playoffs and you would try spin Nylander "doubling Matthews production" i.e 2 points v 4 points like that, while technically true, telling us nothing like the other stat you conjured up.

Nylander is not worth 8, other bad contracts/=justification.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So am I, he has done nothing to earn that money and he has no leverage, being traded would do awful for his long term earning potential because there will be much fewer endorsement deals wherever he goes.

Matthews is another stratosphere of player, they both had awful playoffs and you would try spin Nylander "doubling Matthews production" i.e 2 points v 4 points like that, while technically true, telling us nothing like the other stat you conjured up.

Nylander is not worth 8, other bad contracts/=justification.

What other 22 year old or younger player recently signed for less than that after putting up 2 60+ point seasons?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I highly doubt he will sign a long time deal under 8. In the next two years you will see Mathews in the 11-12M range, Marner in the 9-11 range. It would be leaving tons of the money on the table to sign long term under 8M. I think we will see a 1 year deal or bridge deal at 7ish before we see anything long term.
Why would the Leafs offer all their key RFAs contracts at several million dollars AAV above what their comparables around the League are making? This doesn't make any sense, particularly your estimations of Nylander and Marner; they likely wouldn't get that even if they were UFAs, these guys are both RFAs without arbitration rights. Heck, offersheets aren't even an incentive to pull such numbers out; any team that offered Marner $10+ million would have to give the Leafs four 1st round picks as compensation; no one is going to do that.
Will the Leafs have some cap issues next spring to juggle? Sure, but some fans from other teams really need to do their research before posting wildly unrealistic scenarios.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Incorrect, he has 5 years of rfa left. He did not play 40 games in 15-16. If ehlers signed for 7 years at 6m then Nylander should be in the same area. Ehlers deal covers 4 rfa and 3 ufa and begins this season.
There’s no logical comparables that have him making 7+ let alone 8.
Woops, my bad, I forgot that an accrued season requires 40 or more NHL games. In my opinion, the problem with the Leafs, contractually, is that they have too many good young players. With the Jets, Scheifele was their highest paid forward when Ehlers signed his contract. Ehlers got paid comparably to Winnipeg's core players (Wheeler at the time & Scheifele). Before Tavares signed, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander were and are considered to be Toronto's forward core. Toronto went out and signed a star player from outside of the organization for $11M long term. There are rumors that Matthews will be paid handsomely, close to what Tavares signed for, and Marner will get paid north of $7M. Nylander may feel that if Toronto considers him just as much as a core player as Tavares, Matthews, and Marner, he should be paid like one. That is why I do not think $6Mx7 is going to get it done for Nylander. If 6 years is on the table, I do think Nylander's cap hit will be closer to $6M . If 7 years is on the table, I think his cap hit will be much closer to $7M, high $6M range.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The funny part is that in trade proposals like Marner for Subban many TML fans explain to us that Marner is better because he is younger and you get more years out of him..

And something tells me that before July 1st mant TML fans would have answered Nylander, but now they would answer Tavares... But I could be wrong.

Marner is a different player than Nylander. It was closer when they came into the league (though Marner was a year younger) but Marner has separated himself from Nylander. I don't speak for all of Leafs nation, but I think most feel that way, to some degree at least.

Also, there is some recency bias at play here, we've now just seen Tavares in a Leafs uniform, look amazing in pre season with something like 5 goals, while our last memory of Nylander in a Leafs uniform was the playoffs.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Woops, my bad, I forgot that an accrued season requires 40 or more NHL games. In my opinion, the problem with the Leafs, contractually, is that they have too many good young players. With the Jets, Scheifele was their highest paid forward when Ehlers signed his contract. Ehlers got paid comparably to Winnipeg's core players (Wheeler at the time & Scheifele). Before Tavares signed, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander were and are considered to be Toronto's forward core. Toronto went out and signed a star player from outside of the organization for $11M long term. There are rumors that Matthews will be paid handsomely, close to what Tavares signed for, and Marner will get paid north of $7M. Nylander may feel that if Toronto considers him just as much as a core player as Tavares, Matthews, and Marner, he should be paid like one. That is why I do not think $6Mx7 is going to get it done for Nylander. If 6 years is on the table, I do think Nylander's cap hit will be closer to $6M . If 7 years is on the table, I think his cap hit will be much closer to $7M, high $6M range.
You can’t compare a ufa to an rfa contract when you talk about Tavares vs the big 3. Matthews was always going to get between eichel and mcdavid and now with Tavares there he creates the upper limit within the team structure. That’s of course unless matthews goes god mode this season and wins some hardware. Marner is going to get more money than Nylander cause he has proven to be a better player than Willy. He generates more offence, he drives the play better and his compete level never wanes. I see Willy getting 6.5 Marner getting 7.5 and matthews between 10-11. That gives them their core 5 forwards for ~40m (Tavares 11 matthews 10-11 Marner 7.5 Nylander 6.5 Kadri 4.5) it’ll be tight but it’s manageable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad