Assuming a 7 year deal, what does Nylander sign for?

Assuming a 7 year deal, what does Nylander sign for?

• 6-6.24

• 6.25-6.49

• 6.5-6.74

• 6.75-6.99

• 7-7.24

• 7.25-7.49

• 7.5-7.74

• 7.75-7.99

• 8+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I'm surprised how many people are voting 7+. This late in camp, Nylander stands to lose more than gain by waiting. I'd be shocked if he got more than 7.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs should be lowering the offer the more games that is missed by a player. For example:

6.5 million x 7 years = $79,268 per game

If Nylander misses 4 games the cap hit reduces to 6.454 million x 7 years.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
not surprised at the names thinking 8+

change the name of the poll to "how much do you hope nylander gets because you dont want the leafs to ice a cup contending team?"

Reactions: olli

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not really. I’d rather Toronto’s defence to be steamy dog poop forever. Sign guys that can’t skate backwards over and over for all I care.

Looking at it from the outside, Nylander doesn’t get you an impact dman. You won’t move Mathews, Tavares or most likely Kadri (who may ask to be moved someday if he’s not keen on his new role).

So who is left? A young winger that payroll wise is going to ask for something he probably doesn’t deserve yet but will feel entitled to because of the other deals being tossed around now for guys off the elc’s.

Find a team that needs scoring but has a plethora of defenceman under contract. Carolina is one. Anaheim maybe another.

Leaf fans might not like losing the shiny toy. But the dull one that works will help them win more games

a 60+pt kid doesnt get us an impact dman?
leafs are only looking for a top 4 type.

kinda pointless because none of em are getting moved. they arent the bruins moving all their top young talent before they hit their prime (big joe, kessel,seguin)

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Not under 7,5 m! They need to overpay him a bit to show him that hes not only a tradebait!

If Leafs cant pay him off longterm because they went for Tavares, thats not W.N problem!

Funny that most Leafs fans are on the lowest numbers, and in trade threads they wants the moon for him.

This will end in a 1-2 years bridge contract, that give Tml some space to sort out the mess and Wn can show his value and dont need to worry about a trade so much.

Next summer will be a gem, A.M, M.M and Gardiner is up!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Funny that most Leafs fans are on the lowest numbers, and in trade threads they wants the moon for him.

Well no shit, we expect him to sign for less than he would get with most other teams. The Leafs aren't like Edmonton, they're a contender, have a GM who understands numbers, and don't play in a remote natural resources outpost. They don't need to pay a premium to convince players to play there.

Playing in the Big Smoke, Nylander will make up whatever he sacrifices on his contract in endorsement money and then some. He's going to be showered with wealth and fame and privilege that he would never attain in any other city.

The young players all know what the Leafs plans are, and they've all bought into the program or they'd be gone by now. Dubas is above all a communicator, he's been sitting down with these guys and making sure everyone's on the same page for ages now. This particular contract dispute is just an agent trying to squeeze out a little extra, that's all. Nobody is concerned at all about the situation.

And no, there's no way in hell the Leafs are trading any of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner for a top 4 D, or anything else. Wishful thinking. They are all going to be Leafs for a very long time.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s the one member of the so- called Big Three that I’d be most nervous about over paying. Just not convinced he has the same drive as the others even though the talent is there. I’d go $6 million to $6.2 million.
Wouldn’t shock me to see him moved at some point for a young second pairing defenseman with upside.

Last edited:

member 157595

He’s the one member of the so- called Big Three that I’d be most nervous about over paying. Just not convinced he has the same drive as the others even though the talent is there. I’d go $6 million to $6.2 million.
Wouldn’t shock me to see him moved at some point for a young second pairing defenseman with upside.

I would not be opposed to dealing Nylander for the right player but I have no interest in a Hall-for-Larsson-esque downgrade. I'm not sure what an appropriate offer from another team would be.

Reactions: Kelly

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I would not be opposed to dealing Nylander for the right player but I have no interest in a Hall-for-Larsson-esque downgrade. I'm not sure what an appropriate offer from another team would be.

No one would offer a lot for a Nylander that's signed above 7m on a long term contract when he hasn't shown he can carry his own line. Brett Pesce would be the best dman you could probably get and he's a pretty good one at a very affordable contract.

The thing is if the leafs can get Nylander at their price they want to keep him, but if he gets too much then they won't get as much for him

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think somewhere around 6.5-7 is pretty fair for him but i voted over 7 because I feel like if hes holding out this long he must want a littl more

member 157595

No one would offer a lot for a Nylander that's signed above 7m on a long term contract when he hasn't shown he can carry his own line. Brett Pesce would be the best dman you could probably get and he's a pretty good one at a very affordable contract.

The thing is if the leafs can get Nylander at their price they want to keep him, but if he gets too much then they won't get as much for him

I don't disagree with most of that, though I have no idea why the Leafs would sign Nylander to a long term deal above 7M/year in the first place.

He doesn't have much leverage right now. We can't afford to overpay anyone (this in itself is obviously a Leafs problem and not Nylander's) and we can stay afloat in the playoff race while Nylander loses game checks.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
He'll get market value based on comparable players. Ehlers, Pastrnak, Gudreau, Larkin. It'll be somewhere in the range of 6.5 million. It won't be far from that.

He can hold out as long as he likes. This is what the offer will be from Dubas. I am sure of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad