Assistant GM Mike Santos relieved of duties effective immediately

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
I know that the Rampage have failed, but I actually thought that Santos was doing a good job. Granted, I don't know exactly what his job was. However, if he was in charge of AHL trades, it seems like he got good value on a lot of those.

You can't blame Santos for the Rampage's failures, imo. Much like how our NHL team gets even worse with injuries, those same injuries impact the AHL team, as well.

Clearly, Santos priority was the Rampage and Tallon sees the Rampage as nothing more than a farm team, which is the way it should be.

Also, if Santos was on Markstrom's side, I'm glad he's gone. Without the Luongo trade, there would be no reason to watch the Panthers right now.

Without Luongo, there potentially wouldn't be a reason to watch the Panthers next year. Having a solid #1 in net lets us focus on defense over the offseason instead of being stuck with Thomas and an EXTREMELY unproven Markstrom.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
None of his guys from Nashville have worked out, either. I don't have an issue with Santos, but I don't really care that he's gone.

Mess coming in would work for me.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I know that the Rampage have failed, but I actually thought that Santos was doing a good job. Granted, I don't know exactly what his job was. However, if he was in charge of AHL trades, it seems like he got good value on a lot of those.

If he's in charge of AHL trades, I would've driven him back to Nashville weeks ago.

His minor league trades have been nothing short of a disaster the last two season. His free agent signings for San Antonio have been almost as bad. This team is an absolute mess and he's the person responsible for that. If there's any veracity to what Harvey and GR have tweeted, he's lucky Tallon didn't throw him through the window a la Axel Foley.

Erick*

If he's in charge of AHL trades, I would've driven him back to Nashville weeks ago.

His minor league trades have been nothing short of a disaster the last two season. His free agent signings for San Antonio have been almost as bad. This team is an absolute mess and he's the person responsible for that. If there's any veracity to what Harvey and GR have tweeted, he's lucky Tallon didn't throw him through the window a la Axel Foley.

Well, you would know about this more than any of us. It just seemed like recently they were getting good value with AHL trades, but I don't really follow the league to be honest. Can you mention some of the bad deals that might've led to this?

And, as I said, I don't even know if Santos was in charge of the AHL deals. He did have a lot of input with the Rampage though.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
None of his guys from Nashville have worked out, either. I don't have an issue with Santos, but I don't really care that he's gone.

Mess coming in would work for me.

I'd have a ****ing heart attack if he was named to a position here!

Talk about publicity...

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Without Luongo, there potentially wouldn't be a reason to watch the Panthers next year. Having a solid #1 in net lets us focus on defense over the offseason instead of being stuck with Thomas and an EXTREMELY unproven Markstrom.

Stuck with Thomas? That's pretty disrespectful considering Timmy gave us a reason to watch this team. He was great for us and if he wanted to come back here next year to back Lu up, I sure as hell wouldn't mind.

I mean, I know what you're saying with Markstrom, but seriously though, can't understand anything but praise for Tim Thomas' time here.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Stuck with Thomas? That's pretty disrespectful considering Timmy gave us a reason to watch this team. He was great for us and if he wanted to come back here next year to back Lu up, I sure as hell wouldn't mind.

I mean, I know what you're saying with Markstrom, but seriously though, can't understand anything but praise for Tim Thomas' time here.

I agree.

Thomas was great, and I was sad to see him go.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Any links to Messier coming here? Cant find any info on this. Where did it start?

That's what I'd like to know too. Is there a rumor that he is looking for an AHL GM job?

No lost sleep over Santos for me. Seemed like the Rampage were in the playoff hunt a few weeks ago on the Rodeo Road Trip. Did they fall apart due to all the trades/call ups? If RN says he sux then I believe him.

-ghoste

Erick*

That's what I'd like to know too. Is there a rumor that he is looking for an AHL GM job?

No lost sleep over Santos for me. Seemed like the Rampage were in the playoff hunt a few weeks ago on the Rodeo Road Trip. Did they fall apart due to all the trades/call ups? If RN says he sux then I believe him.

-ghoste

I believe him too. However, I agree with you because it seemed the same to me. They fell apart after all the injuries/call-ups. Also, trading Markstrom probably doesn't help them either.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
At the same time Rowe is not a good coach. His coaching turned a playoff team to a bubble team.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
This is from Craig Davis at the Sun Sentinel:

By Craig Davis
Sun Sentinel
8:01 p.m. EDT, March 25, 2014

SUNRISE—
General Manager Dale Tallon announced before the game that he informed assistant GM Mike Santos that his contract will not be renewed for next season. Tallon brought Santos into the organization in 2010 from the Nashville Predators, where he was Director of Hockey Operations, but said he felt a need to move in a different direction.

“I need a different set of eyes, a different opinion, different ideas. It’s been a tough decision back and forth for the last six, seven months, and I came to the conclusion this week that it’d be better off if we went in another direction,” Tallon said.

Santos was instrumental in bringing Horachek to the Panthers, first as head coach of the team's American Hockey League team in San Antonio. Tallon said the decision to let Santos go will not impact Horachek’s future with the team.

Tallon said he will discuss the hockey operation with owner Vinnie Viola and other members of upper management after the season and that the decision on Horachek will likely come in May.

I certainly don't mind a different set of eyes or new approach. Hard to be worse than around the bottom of the league the last two seasons. As they say, "Only way is up."

-ghoste

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I think this is a sign that DT knows his job is on the line starting this summer with the result next season being the big decision maker on who leads this team going forward.

I am expecting a big summer...

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
This is from Craig Davis at the Sun Sentinel:

I certainly don't mind a different set of eyes or new approach. Hard to be worse than around the bottom of the league the last two seasons. As they say, "Only way is up."

-ghoste

This sounds like a house cleaning and Tallon covering his arse.

It was Santos and his boy Horacheck who flushed the season down the toilet and K. Dineen? Who's he???

Thanks Markstrom... I have another year to fix this now. - Dale Tallon.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
This sounds like a house cleaning and Tallon covering his arse. It was Santos and his boy Horacheck who flushed the season down the toilet and K. Dineen? Who's he?

Thanks Markstrom... I have another year to fix this now. - Dale Tallon.

As above, I agree.

-ghoste

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
This is a bit of a surprise to me, but after reading the details, I agree that it sounds like Viola and company want to make big changes now and Tallon is getting a bit nervous. If they didn't see eye to eye over the last six or seven months, then I approve of this. I'm sure Santos will find another job soon and hell, maybe he'll become a regular GM for a franchise. This is another indication that makes me really look forward to the offseason. This ownership group is definitely not standing for anything mediocre or below.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

Anything but praise? I know it wasn't exactly his fault but Thomas posted around a 0.900 % and a 2.90 GAA. Luongo is a much better goalie at the moment, and gives this team with a bad defense a chance to win next season. Thomas, at his rate now, absolutely did not offer that.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I don't see it as Tallon knowing his job is on the line, and I don't think it is. He's been green lighted to spend and build a winner, he has one season without POS owners in the way to do that? Not likely, I see this as Tallon doing his best to ensure he finds the best players here and he lost faith in santos.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Different direction, but what about "the Blueprint" Dale! :sarcasm:

As was mentioned, this is likely because of the Rampage's failures and Santos maybe not knowing how to negotiate/attract free agents here. Hopefully we replace him with someone smarter and perhaps a proven track record, but doubt Dale would hire someone better than himself who could potentially steal his job some day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad