Assistant coaches - who's it gonna be. Place your bets

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't see Doan as a fit on the bench at any point, really. He's never been an especially intelligent player, which is what I'd want for someone transitioning from player to coach. He's a guy with great physical gifts, an excellent motor, and strong leadership qualities. More heart than brain. I think he'd make a lot more sense as a broadcaster or in some kind of professional development role. I'd keep him away from X's and O's or any kind of talent evaluation.

Couldnkot agree more. Not a coach. Not a scout. Broadcaster? He's a natural. Good will embassador? He was born for it. He doesn't have any aptitude for actual hockey operations.

RufusG

May 23, 2017
Gotta say I'm disappointed that no one on this forum seems to be staking out Sky Harbor to see who's coming in for interviews. It's been days since there's been something really juicy to chew on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Couldnkot agree more. Not a coach. Not a scout. Broadcaster? He's a natural. Good will embassador? He was born for it. He doesn't have any aptitude for actual hockey operations.

Time will tell.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't think he ever will. Too nostalgic and emotional. All heart.

Let's not forget that coaches coach for a living. There is no need for Doan to do anything to earn money except as a hobby or afectation. We had that with TGO and it didn't work out so well. I doubt that Doan wants to spend so much time away from family now that his playing career is at an end. A front office position would be far more suitable, giving Doan his continued presence in hockey while allowing him to enjoy the family life he had sacrificed for his career.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Let's not forget that coaches coach for a living. There is no need for Doan to do anything to earn money except as a hobby or afectation. We had that with TGO and it didn't work out so well. I doubt that Doan wants to spend so much time away from family now that his playing career is at an end. A front office position would be far more suitable, giving Doan his continued presence in hockey while allowing him to enjoy the family life he had sacrificed for his career.

Maybe, but some players miss being around the guys, the atmosphere etc. I think Doan could be a good coach, but I think he might join the front office of a NHL team over time, maybe like a Mario.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It's not about his in game approach. It's about his genuine bewilderment every single deadline we sold. He does not "get it".

Point taken. He was far to vocal about that and obviously emotional to the point of not being able to hold his tongue. We do need to consider where he was at in his career and his goal of winning the Cup when evaluating though. Unfortunately that goal was quite unrealistic given the team being iced.

His devotion to the franchise painted himself in a corner (if you will).

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's not about his in game approach. It's about his genuine bewilderment every single deadline we sold. He does not "get it".

I think it's pretty clear that we're done with people who can't publicly get on message.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That's called professionalism. Haha. It's bush league to air grievances to the media like that. I'm glad we've gone full fascist regime. It's how teams should be run.

When you've got a product to sell, it's pretty hard when your most public faces are openly grumbling and bemoaning their fate. I look forward to a more positive vibe around the team. When your boss hates his job and mopes about thinking everything is hopeless, that spills over to performance. "This is what you get with young players" and "We'll go get players who can get the job done" was obviously out of touch with the room judging by the results immediately afterwards.
The enthusiasm from the Butcher and Tocchet has been refreshing as a fan. That stuff bleeds into performance as well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Point taken. He was far to vocal about that and obviously emotional to the point of not being able to hold his tongue. We do need to consider where he was at in his career and his goal of winning the Cup when evaluating though. Unfortunately that goal was quite unrealistic given the team being iced.

His devotion to the franchise painted himself in a corner (if you will).

That's called professionalism. Haha. It's bush league to air grievances to the media like that. I'm glad we've gone full fascist regime. It's how teams should be run.

Doan gets it guys, don't kid yourself. I agree he was a little too vocal the last couple of years when some of his old buddies were traded, but that can be expected. He poured his heart and soul into this team and franchise over the years and he probably thought keeping these guys were the best thing to do. Doan even said that "we as players sometimes think we are entitled and forget the fact we are only players" or something along those lines.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No. It's not expected. He's an employee. It's not literally "Doan's team". He doesn't have to like the Vermette trade (which was amazing for us, btw). He just has to suck it up and put on his big boy pants when he's on the clock. His subsequent sulking and pouting this year and giving 20% effort all season was absolutely part of the problem. Glad we cut the cancers out.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
IDK. Did anyone consider Rick Tocchet a cerebral player?

He never seemed particularly "dumb athlete" to me. Not at all. I'm not sure how you can gage "cerebral" by analyzing interview clips. People trained to take interviews tend to volunteer little about themselves, less about their trains of thought, and tie themselves into knots in order to avoid controversy.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
When you've got a product to sell, it's pretty hard when your most public faces are openly grumbling and bemoaning their fate. I look forward to a more positive vibe around the team. When your boss hates his job and mopes about thinking everything is hopeless, that spills over to performance. "This is what you get with young players" and "We'll go get players who can get the job done" was obviously out of touch with the room judging by the results immediately afterwards.
The enthusiasm from the Butcher and Tocchet has been refreshing as a fan. That stuff bleeds into performance as well.

Someone needs to photoshop Barroway's face into Bill the butcher from gangs of new york for an avatar. I'm set with mine, obviously, because he is legend, but it would be epic.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
He never seemed particularly "dumb athlete" to me. Not at all. I'm not sure how you can gage "cerebral" by analyzing interview clips. People trained to take interviews tend to volunteer little about themselves, less about their trains of thought, and tie themselves into knots in order to avoid controversy.

My intention was not to imply he was a dumb athlete. Now I didn't live in Az. when he played here, but obviously saw him play, just not as often as if I had lived here. My point was that I never saw him as particularly cerebral either, suffice it to say more Doan like than not.

I believe that on the internet words are either written, or perceived as somewhat inflammatory. Perhaps I read some of the comments prior to my post as implying Doan was a dumb athlete. I think both Tocchet and Doan have good minds for the game.

Having said that, I can certainly accept and understand subsequent posts as to why he is not wanted here for an A/C position. I don't want to see him in that position here either, particularly at this time, but more so because I am liking the drastic culture change. Not to mention that he is most likely not ready.

Furthermore, my only reservation with Tocchet is that he coached here before (old culture) during some God awful times, that I was here to witness. Having said that, the optimist in me is certain he has learned and grown since that time.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004

Hell yeah!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No. It's not expected. He's an employee. It's not literally "Doan's team". He doesn't have to like the Vermette trade (which was amazing for us, btw). He just has to suck it up and put on his big boy pants when he's on the clock. His subsequent sulking and pouting this year and giving 20% effort all season was absolutely part of the problem. Glad we cut the cancers out.

I guess you have never owned a business to see first hand. Some work so hard and take so much pride at their job they sometimes forget they are employees, and often step beyond their boundaries. Sometimes the Employer likes to see this and gives a promotion, and other times not. Kind of funny to see some posters s--- on Doan now that he is gone, and yet some of the same posters said they would have welcomed him back.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Maybe you could take pride in your work by conveying excitement for what you do have going for you, getting on message, and showing up every night instead of sulking.
No one's crapping on Doan. Everyone still loves him. He's done as a hockey player, and he was part of the problem and not solution moving forward. So glad we're at least trying something different.
Would I have given him another year? Probably would've been up for it until the postdeadline tantrum on top of watching the play die on his stick all year, grumbling through the press about his decreasing role and ice time (which was still too generous), and most distressingly seeing him become a complete passenger.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
When is rookie camp? That may be a good idea of a deadline for when we see these assistants hired.

rt

May 13, 2004
I guess you have never owned a business to see first hand. Some work so hard and take so much pride at their job they sometimes forget they are employees, and often step beyond their boundaries. Sometimes the Employer likes to see this and gives a promotion, and other times not. Kind of funny to see some posters s--- on Doan now that he is gone, and yet some of the same posters said they would have welcomed him back.

Who is ******** on Doan? I love Doan. He is not a coach. I don't think he would be a good coach. I don't think he wants to be a coach. I think he's done traveling and being away from home.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Man, HF is like "Straw Man Army". How could we get into a discussion, or pass judgement by feigning concern, over intellect?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad