Assistant coaches - who's it gonna be. Place your bets

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
I'll go with Mikes for $100 please Alex.
That could be Mike Keenan one of Tocchet's coaches during his earlier playing career.
Mike Stothers who played with and coached Tocchet.
Mike Johnston was head coach in Pitt before Mike Sullivan.
Mike Eaves was an AC back in the day with Philly.

Leaving the possibilities of Mike aside a name I'd really like to see is Larry Robinson. He coached Tocc briefly in LA.

Who have I missed?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Mike Stapleton: ties to the team. Former teammate of Tocchet. Pursued coaching. (I think there is <2% chance of that happening. I'm just playing the Mike game)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Oates & Gonchar

Hull & Oates seems like a missed opportunity here :laugh:

Anyway, Pens just named Gonchar as AC. Not sure what their plan is. They have a ton of ACs now (including Recchi, who replaces Tocchet). Same with NYI. Tons of ACs. Greg Cronin may be available.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If I had to guess, I'd say Adam Oates will be one of them.

Agreed. Then we need our own Jacques Martin running the D. Just a vet guy who can coach some structure.

Martin would be ideal - maybe he and Tocch were close and he comes along?

Yeah probably not.

Hull & Oates seems like a missed opportunity here :laugh:

Anyway, Pens just named Gonchar as AC. Not sure what their plan is. They have a ton of ACs now (including Recchi, who replaces Tocchet). Same with NYI. Tons of ACs. Greg Cronin may be available.

Maybe Martin is availble with Gonchar joining the ranks? Martin would round out a Tocchet and Oates staff nicely. Pens would want compensation though since it's a lateral move. Might be worth it. Need that extension head coaching experience.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Assistant coach to associate coach is a promotion, no?

I doubt we poach one AC for a promotion, circle back and ask for permission to poach another for a very minor promotion, and be met with much more than a "Not at this time" from the Penguins. That said...

HC: Rick Tocchet
AC: Adam Oates
AC: Jacques Martin

...would make me a happy boy!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I am going to say Todd Nelson and Luke Richardson.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The 36 year old assistant coach in Erie, Mike Nelson? Hasn't Luke Richardson been doing a whole lot of losing in Binghamton?

I thought Richardson is held in high regard? I thought he was mentioned as a candidate for a vacate HC job in the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I doubt we poach one AC for a promotion, circle back and ask for permission to poach another for a very minor promotion, and be met with much more than a "Not at this time" from the Penguins. That said...

HC: Rick Tocchet
AC: Adam Oates
AC: Jacques Martin

...would make me a happy boy!

This is where I would like to see one AC being younger. Where is Crawford now a days?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Thoughts on Bob Hartley as the go-to experienced vet associate coach?

Great track record (Championships in the Q, AHL, NHL, Euro). Reputation as a *****.

He got a phone interview for the HC job as per Friedman.

He was also the HC in Colorado while Tocchet was his AC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad