Assistant coaches - who's it gonna be. Place your bets

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Didn't Granato just take the HC job at Wisco? Like his dream job? 0% chance he comes here to be an AC at this point.

His brother left Wisconsin after only one year to join Chicago...
Surely worth a try....

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Nelson would be a great pick for D AC. Hopefully Chayka's comments didn't **** him off. ;)

Yeah I agree, I'd love to have him in the organization but I highly doubt it happens. Not because of Chayka's comments - like I said, I think he's a big boy and can handle it. I just get the sense that he's done being an AC. Seems like if he can't get an NHL HC job he might as well at least be getting the HC experience elsewhere. It might also be a little awkward having two guys work together who don't really know each other, and who interviewed for the same job. But who knows...we can always hope right?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's an assistant. He's the Head Coach of a Premier D1 school. One of the top 5 best hockey coaching jobs in the entire NCAA. It's also his Alma Mater. He only won the job in March. He's not going to leave to become an assistant for the damn Coyotes of all things.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Didn't Granato just take the HC job at Wisco? Like his dream job? 0% chance he comes here to be an AC at this point.

I think it's going to be nearly impossible to recruit anyone who took a job this summer. Teams don't want to go through the hiring process again to replace someone they just added.

Hartley is available. I wonder if he'd work better as a forward or D coach. Usually it matches the coach's playing days but as far as I can tell, Hartley never played pro.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No way Hartley wants to be an assistant. He would rather take a Coaching job in Europe and wait for his next opportunity as a head coach. I also doubt Nelson wants to be an assistant at this point.

Stay away with Eakins...please...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What High School did you attend?
In the early 70's he and Brett Hull played together for the Elmhurst Huskies (black AAA team).

I went to Downers grove north 1977-1980, moved to Scottsdale graduated Saguaro high school class of 1981. Tony was a year behind me, met him when I was a sophomore, he was a freshman, best player on the high school team then. I also played baseball with him in the summer. he later transferred to a prep school, forgot the name and graduated.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I went to Downers grove north 1977-1980, moved to Scottsdale graduated Saguaro high school class of 1981. Tony was a year behind me, met him when I was a sophomore, he was a freshman, best player on the high school team then. I also played baseball with him in the summer. he later transferred to a prep school, forgot the name and graduated.

Small world, I'm a product of of originally East and then later West Aurora myself. Wound up moving to the sticks (between Kanville and Sugar Grove) and attending Kaneland H.S. Here's where it gets smaller yet, I moved to Paradise Valley and graduated Chaparral, class of.... yep 1981 :laugh:

You didn't happen to know either of Pat (Whitey) Stapleton's son's by chance? Of course Mike had an NHL career himself. I know they played for the Downers Grove Royals, when we were kids, but don't know what High School they attended.

Crazy

Apologies to all for the brief derail. I'll stop it

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Small world, I'm a product of of originally East and then later West Aurora myself. Wound up moving to the sticks (between Kanville and Sugar Grove) and attending Kaneland H.S. Here's where it gets smaller yet, I moved to Paradise Valley and graduated Chaparral, class of.... yep 1981 :laugh:

You didn't happen to know either of Pat (Whitey) Stapleton's son's by chance? Of course Mike had an NHL career himself. I know they played for the Downers Grove Royals, when we were kids, but don't know what High School they attended.

Crazy

Apologies to all for the brief derail. I'll stop it

I didn't know the Stapelton's, small world though! Tony has a pretty good gig in Wisconsin, multi year deal at 500k+ per year, doubt he would leave for an assistants job in AZ.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
My eldest uncle lived in Downers Grove for years. He was an environmental engineer for Swift Premium in the 60s and 70s until he retired and moved to Texas.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
For D it could be Gary Agnew, Jacques Martin, Dallas Eakins, Todd Nelson, or Teppo Numminen.

As great as it'd be to have Nelson come coach D or anything else, I highly doubt it happens. He'll get an NHL gig next summer.

Agnew might be a consideration, giving his history with Tocchet.

If they wanted to go the alumni route, Teppo would be a great choice. Bringing back guys from back in the day to help coach/develop might not be a bad idea.

If I had to bet my money on it, I'd say

Assistant- Adam Oates (PP coach)
Assisstant- Gary Agnew (D coach)

Dream Assistant- Andy Saucier (Video coach) Tocchet's right hand man in Pittsburgh

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Shane Doan.

As Assistant Coach in Tucson? Works for me :sarcasm:

I can't see the Coyotes hire two inexperienced Assistant Coaches to add to Tocchet's crew. Tocchet himself has somewhat limited experience. Now, I'm fine with adding an untested offensive/forward/pp AC since we have to try something new in that area; however, for Defensive/D/PK, I'd hope they go with someone with much more experience that has worked in a number of systems/levels as we need a total overhaul with a willingness to try a variety of strategies.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I don't think that is really going to happen, just saw the headline on TSN about Campbell and it made me think.

I know Doan has a lot of pride but we all saw last season. Does he really want to split time between the fourth line and the owner's box, on the other side of the country? Time to transition...

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I don't see Doan as a fit on the bench at any point, really. He's never been an especially intelligent player, which is what I'd want for someone transitioning from player to coach. He's a guy with great physical gifts, an excellent motor, and strong leadership qualities. More heart than brain. I think he'd make a lot more sense as a broadcaster or in some kind of professional development role. I'd keep him away from X's and O's or any kind of talent evaluation.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't see Doan as a fit on the bench at any point, really. He's never been an especially intelligent player, which is what I'd want for someone transitioning from player to coach. He's a guy with great physical gifts, an excellent motor, and strong leadership qualities. More heart than brain. I think he'd make a lot more sense as a broadcaster or in some kind of professional development role. I'd keep him away from X's and O's or any kind of talent evaluation.

Boy do I disagree with you on this. Look how TGO turned out, or maybe you think he was not an intelligent player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad