LeBrun: Asking price for Giordano is a 1st Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hope Leafs just stick with what they got. Nothing out there will put them over the top anyway. Stick with what they got and see if something clicks for the overpaid stars on this team and they can win a series. No point in trading a first for a Gio and still lose in the first round because the stars can't deliver.

Reactions: bert

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

If I am the Leafs, as much as I like the player I have to pass. Not on a rental in a year quite different than last.

If I am Gio, I make it clesr to management that in this stage of my career I hope I am treated with some dignity and input and not nickel and dimed by a new franchiee that is years away from being a playoff force anyways. Believe it or not, impending UFAs pay attention to how teams treat their players, especially veterans.

A second and a legit prospect ror a rental is more than fair. Just because Tampa and Florida feel the need to overpay (as Leafs felt the need last year), doesn't mean Leafs need to this.year.

The bargains will be had in the last couple of hours tomorrow when the sellers realize they are runing out of time. Smart teams will make a long ordered list and get what is most available by the 11th hour.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If I am the Leafs, as much as I like the player I have to pass. Not on a rental in a year quite different than last.

If I am Gio, I make it clesr to management that in this stage of my career I hope I am treated with some dignity and input and not nickel and dimed by a new franchiee that is years away from being a playoff force anyways.

A second and a legit prospect ror a rental is more than fair. Just because Tampa and Florida feel the need to overpay (as Leafs felt the need last year), doesn't mean Leafs need to this.year.

The bargains will be had in the last couple of hours tomorrow when the sellers realize they are runing out of time. Smart teams will make a long ordered list and get what is most available by the 11th hour.

Well, maybe Dubas learned something from last year. Hopefully. Still don't think they lost because they were missing someone like Gio or Chiarot.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I could see a 1st a couple years from now. Top ___ protected. Seems to be a bit of a trend. Which decreases the value of that 1st, at least in the short term, but it's still an asset for the team getting it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
A first seems right.

It does but they are a little late to the party as 2 firsts have already gone for a Dman.

How many other teams are going to load up, especially in the east?

Also if no first is available does Francis cut his losses and gets what he can for Gio?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Well, maybe Dubas learned something from last year. Hopefully. Still don't think they lost because they were missing someone like Gio or Chiarot.

I would have liked to have Chariot, not on a rental for the pice he went for though. Don't forget, Muzzin was injured halfway through game 6, he is unpleasant when in his element (playoffs)and he could return in the postseason.

That said, last year was an anomoly and if not fir the injuries to Tavares and Muzzin Leafs probably don't lose. Even still they barely lost, so as long as the Leafs.D ijmprovesand bcomes meaner, it's a big boon.

So, get Gio at fair price, but there is also Middleton, Schenn and others who I would be happy to see picked up at the right price. Yes, I would chase two D Men.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I would have liked to have Chariot, not on a rental for the pice he went for though. Don't forget, Muzzin was injured halfway through game 6, he is unpleasant when in his element (playoffs)and hecould return in the postseason.

That said, last year was an anomoly and if not fir the injuries to Tavares and Muzzin Leafs probably don't lose. Even still they barely lost, so as long as the Leafs.D ijmprovesand bcomes meaner, it's a big boon.

So, get Gio at fair price, but there is also Middleton, Schenn and others who I would be happy to see picked up at the right price. Yes, I would chase two D Men.

I disagree those injuries were the difference. TB won in 2020 without Stamkos. They lost because Matthews and Marner wilt in the playoffs. Only 1 goal combined, pathetic. If they don't step up, it won't matter who they get especially when they will be facing way better team than MTL or Columbus this year. Last season was inexcusable.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Pass on the first. Wait till the last minute if necessary and pay less. Gio won't save Dubas' job anyway when they don't go pass the first round.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
I could see a 2nd and a prospect happening, which team will take him though?

After the injury to Kase do the Leafs have depth to fill his role internally or would they have to pick up another piece.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If they spend the 1st I want it to be for a winger with term. The Leafs will play a more responsible defensive system in the playoffs which should help with the goals against. Maybe grab a depth guy like Braun or Middleton for some bite/PK abilities. The most important thing is to have two dangerous scoring lines, so a skilled left winger to pair with Tavares is the biggest need in my eyes.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I disagree those injuries were the difference. TB won in 2020 without Stamkos. They lost because Matthews and Marner wilt in the playoffs. Only 1 goal combined, pathetic. If they don't step up, it won't matter who they get especially when they will be facing way better team than MTL or Columbus this year. Last season was inexcusable.

True, but Tavares was out early while highly motivated. One of this lines would hwve constantly have had an easier matcbup, it was exponentislly easier for the Habs to focus in one line.

They defeinitely need to step up this postseason. Unfortunate they lost back to back OTs.and needed an injured Foligno to pay.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If he takes Mrazek he might get a first. Even 2 seconds is silly. Francis hasn't figured out value yet and it hinders everything they do.

Francis was absolutely terrible at the expansion draft. Yotes did what Kraken should have done

Why do people expect him to all of a sudden be better

Kraken are doomed under his tutelage:laugh:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How does he not get a first with what Chiarot and Lindholm just went for? Leaf fans living in a fantasy world if they dont think thats what its going to take. Its going to be a 1st plus.

Jarnkrok just went for a 2nd, 3rd and 7th lol.

He can ask for whatever he wants. We will see what he gets. If you prove right I'll give you credit for it. Until then I stand by his value being closer to a 2nd.
Have you been paying no attention to what players are currently getting traded for?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
They’re probably wanting a kid like Niemela if they don’t get a 1st from the Leafs. At least they should be. Not something the Leafs probably want to give up but Seattle needs to add to their pool, and he’d be a great add.

If they want him though, I’d suggest it’s a 3rd going the other way but the market probably says a late 2nd.

There’s a lot of these players from the 20’ and 21’ drafts who may have been drafted much higher if we had full scouting years. In his case though, he was probably drafted where he should’ve been. He’s pushed his timeline up though and should make the trip over after next season. So he’d give Seattle a legit prospect 2-3 years away, and the Leafs probably get Giordano for this playoff and 2 more years if the fit is right.

The Leafs really do need to keep as many of their higher picks as they can. The decision really comes down to putting the right pieces together for this window they’re in. There’s to many glaring holes and Giordano fills one. So I wouldn’t be floored if they gave the first, but absolutely they should try not to.

Any prospect that’s doesn’t have a legitimate chance of being on their NHL roster next year, should be up for being moved, depending on the deal.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
That's the mindset that will lead them to losing Austin Matthews at the end of the 2023-2024 season as a UFA and have nothing to show for it. Trust me, as a Habs fan, I know all about not willing to go all in. You either go for it, or you don't. This sitting halfway in shit drives me nuts. I love that Tampa has the balls to take advantage of their peak years to just go for it. Same with Florida.

Not saying that Gio is worth a first, or that they should even trade for him, but do something at least. You're going to overpay for sure, but try and make your team better.
Lol.

Yes a poster on HF just cost us Matthews....

You always know your case is strong when you have solid psychic evidence ....

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I could see a 1st a couple years from now. Top ___ protected. Seems to be a bit of a trend. Which decreases the value of that 1st, at least in the short term, but it's still an asset for the team getting it.
It sounds like Dubas is reluctant to trade a first this year. The only scenario I think that happens is if we are also dumping Mrazek It's entirely possible he just get the best bargain d he can in a Dermott deal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I dont think he gets a 1st, personally I think Seattle is where Dermott ends up as part of a deal to bring back Giordano and if that is the case I have no issue with it because even at this stage Gio is better than Dermott plus it clears 1.5 million off the books next year

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
A 1st is fair, he is a very good, experienced defenceman and the first Captain of the franchise.
I would not pay a first for him, but now have you thinking ,him being the first franchise Captain................that just increases his talent and value ............

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

If I am Gio, I make it clesr to management that in this stage of my career I hope I am treated with some dignity and input and not nickel and dimed by a new franchiee that is years away from being a playoff force anyways. Believe it or not, impending UFAs pay attention to how teams treat their players, especially veterans.

that's the thing, this year isnt that different and if it is it is because they are better than they were for the most part.

team is top 5 in the NHL overall at last check, they have the top PP, a fantastic PK, great overall offense, a good defense that Gio would only make better.

but they cant get a save

if they can fine somebody, anybody to give them a consistent save I truly believe they can win a cup

this team is better in almost every area than it was last year

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I hope Leafs just stick with what they got. Nothing out there will put them over the top anyway. Stick with what they got and see if something clicks for the overpaid stars on this team and they can win a series. No point in trading a first for a Gio and still lose in the first round because the stars can't deliver.
Yes pretty much accurate.there really isn't a player or 2 available that will make them legit contenders. They have to trade Nylander for that. They should focus on winning a round before the city revolts first

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
that's the thing, this year isnt that different and if it is it is because they are better than they were for the most part.

team is top 5 in the NHL overall at last check, they have the top PP, a fantastic PK, great overall offense, a good defense that Gio would only make better.

but they cant get a save

if they can fine somebody, anybody to give them a consistent save I truly believe they can win a cup

this team is better in almost every area than it was last year

Yes, the team needs the Jack of early season. I almost wish he hadn't been chosen for the all-star game and the early Vezina talk hadn't been there, he seemed to fall off a cliff after that (and the olympic cancellation?).

That said, he was fine last playoffs and this year missing Bogosian and an on-point Muzzin/Holl shutdown, the Leafs don't seem as strong or committed on the backend. That as just as relevant as goaltending in the postseason. Lyubushkin was a solid pickup in this regard.

Dubas is in a quagmire, the LTIR of Muzzin could be a real blessing in disguise, possibly a game changer. They aren't in as bad a spot as.some fans believe and they have tended to rise to the compeition this year. Hopefully it continues in the playoffs.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Personally... I believe it is extremely shortsighted to trade a future 1st round pick for a player that is a rental. It handicaps you when that player is potentially long gone.

What Tampa did makes some sense, given the ridiculous value of Hagel's contract for the next 2 years. Boston made a lot of sense as well (multiple future 2nds) given that it was clear they had an intent to resign him, and little hope of having that opportunity without trading for him.

What Florida did, IMO, was absolutely ensure that they're likely to be a one-and-done contender, given the fact that they've got Barkov & Vehaeghe coming up for raises, and have only 3 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft for the next 3 years. They're not even going to have the ammunition to make further rental deals.

That being said, you look at the teams who still possess their 1st rounders this year, and in need of defensive help... and really, Edmonton is the one that stands out to me where maybe they'd do it.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Personally... I believe it is extremely shortsighted to trade a future 1st round pick for a player that is a rental. It handicaps you when that player is potentially long gone.

What Tampa did makes some sense, given the ridiculous value of Hagel's contract for the next 2 years. Boston made a lot of sense as well (multiple future 2nds) given that it was clear they had an intent to resign him, and little hope of having that opportunity without trading for him.

What Florida did, IMO, was absolutely ensure that they're likely to be a one-and-done contender, given the fact that they've got Barkov & Vehaeghe coming up for raises, and have only 3 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft for the next 3 years. They're not even going to have the ammunition to make further rental deals.

That being said, you look at the teams who still possess their 1st rounders this year, and in need of defensive help... and really, Edmonton is the one that stands out to me where maybe they'd do it.

If you assume that the pick would otherwise beat the odds of a late 1st panning out to a meaningful extent.

A lot of the rental for a 1st trades end up insignificant for both sides in the end. Sekera was the ultimate rental gone awry; the Kings traded for him and proceeded to miss the playoffs! The pick the Canes acquired was used on Julien Gauthier. The Kings only could have used it on Thompson or Kyrou or DeBrincat (the notable players in the 21-40 range that year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad