LeBrun: Asking price for Giordano is a 1st Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
The Leafs aren't winning the cup in all likelihood, I would hold onto the pick imo. The team is d.o.a if they face Florida or Tampa in the 1st round. Its a shame that its another wasted year, but the reality is those teams are better and our goaltending is horrendous

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
LOL yeah right...

GiOrDaNo WiLl GeT a FiRsT

He's an experienced top 4 defenseman who's had a solid season on an awful team and can provide quality leadership going into the playoffs for some team and he's a UFA so it's not like he's got a massive contract. Chariot just got a 1st, it's not hard to imagine him getting a first, especially if Seattle retain.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
If he takes Mrazek he might get a first. Even 2 seconds is silly. Francis hasn't figured out value yet and it hinders everything they do.

You mean it's silly to ask for part of the package Chariot got(1st, 4th, prospect) even though Giordano is better in every single statistic besides hitting?

I also find those argument amusing that Giordano supposedly only wants to come to Toronto but would supossedly be a rental.
If he's that keen on going to Toronto(which is speculation that came from Seravalli and got taken back by him a day or so later) why not just do the same thing Boston did with Lindholm and re-sign him right after the trade.

Would save face for Dubas, who wouldn't just trade for a rental, and guarantee getting at least two playoff runs out of Giordano.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
The Leafs aren't winning the cup in all likelihood, I would hold onto the pick imo. The team is d.o.a if they face Florida or Tampa in the 1st round. Its a shame that its another wasted year, but the reality is those teams are better and our goaltending is horrendous
The amount of times the wings loaded up and still lost in the playoffs. Don't fall for all the hype, games still have to be played and a lot of things can happen.

Reactions: KristichBabych

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He's an experienced top 4 defenseman who's had a solid season on an awful team and can provide quality leadership going into the playoffs for some team and he's a UFA so it's not like he's got a massive contract. Chariot just got a 1st, it's not hard to imagine him getting a first, especially if Seattle retain.
If Seattle retains, yeah probably. More likely a 2024 first though.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You mean it's silly to ask for part of the package Chariot got(1st, 4th, prospect) even though Giordano is better in every single statistic besides hitting?

I also find those argument amusing that Giordano supposedly only wants to come to Toronto but would supossedly be a rental.
If he's that keen on going to Toronto(which is speculation that came from Seravalli and got taken back by him a day or so later) why not just do the same thing Boston did with Lindholm and re-sign him right after the trade.

Would save face for Dubas, who wouldn't just trade for a rental, guarantee getting at least two playoff runs out of Giordano.
You are comparing apples to Oranges. Different skill sets, different ages, different kinds of seasons. Why would you expect the same value?

Now you have an older player having a so so season with some control over where he plays. These things all hurt his value.

Now I do think it's entirely possible he shoots us a discount to play a final year but that's our business and irrelevant to Seattle since negotiation isn't an aspect like it was for Lindholm. I also can't speak for Dubas. Maybe next year he plans to push Sandin or Lil into the top four and Gio isn't wanted.

Time will tell but if you expect a Chariot return you are going to be disappointed.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
So Giordano isn't coming to Toronto then. Nice. Chiarot got a 1st, Manson did not get a 1st. Gio shouldn't get a 1st, but of course the GM will ask for one. I expect a last minute trade tomorrow afternoon then when he realizes no ones paying that and he'll lose an asset for free in FA.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
So Giordano isn't coming to Toronto then. Nice. Chiarot got a 1st, Manson did not get a 1st. Gio shouldn't get a 1st, but of course the GM will ask for one. I expect a last minute trade tomorrow afternoon then when he realizes no ones paying that and he'll lose an asset for free in FA.

Manson got a 2nd and a recently drafted 2nd rounder. That's in line with the ask and the above tweet.

Reactions: KristichBabych

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This TDL a first seems fair. A 2nd and a decent prospect may be better if there's a part of the ownership group or fanbase who buy into the whole 'draft picks are crap' philosophy.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina clearly leaked that its 23 1st is not on the table for a rental yesterday. The insiders keep reporting that Toronto doesn’t want to go down that path again. St. Louis doesn’t like the concept philosophically.

Leaves New York (or a very unexpected mystery team) to step up or one of the GMs of aforementioned teams to break in the end.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Future 2nd (2023 or 2024) + Dermott

Maybe I’d add a C leave prospect, but that’s it.

Otherwise, I go after Middleton, Braun, etc...

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
You are comparing apples to Oranges. Different skill sets, different ages, different kinds of seasons. Why would you expect the same value?

Now you have an older player having a so so season with some control over where he plays. These things all hurt his value.

Now I do think it's entirely possible he shoots us a discount to play a final year but that's our business and irrelevant to Seattle since negotiation isn't an aspect like it was for Lindholm. I also can't speak for Dubas. Maybe next year he plans to push Sandin or Lil into the top four and Gio isn't wanted.

Time will tell but if you expect a Chariot return you are going to be disappointed.

1) I'm not asking for the same return(because Chariot also got a 4th and a prospect on top of it and I'n also not Ron Francis)

2) Again, Giordano's better in every single statistic besides hitting compared to Chariot, even at age 38 and playing for a bad team.

Overall I find it strange that people always crap on Francis for asking for a first round pick(the expansion draft is over and can be discussed sepratly), especially if you see all those trades happening right now and with what is supposedly asked for marginal players.

On top of that Francis has to ask for for a lot because it's a negotiation and you're certainly not going in there asking what the other side is willing to give and just accept.
You go and ask for a lot and negotiate to see if you can find a deal.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Ron Francis is the type that will just let giot go for nothing in UFA though.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Lebrun got nothing better to do?
Every team for the last month has been asking about a 1st for their player’s whether they deserve one or not. These so called insiders trying to stay relevant when they are getting scooped by Kevin Weeks and even Eklund, make me laugh.

Reactions: deaderhead28

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Lebrun got nothing better to do?
Every team for the last month has been asking about a 1st for their player’s whether they deserve one or not. These so called insiders trying to stay relevant when they are getting scooped by Kevin Weeks and even Eklund, make me laugh.
He's been right though. Lots of first round picks getting traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad