LeBrun: Asking price for Giordano is a 1st Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Sounds like the market might not be there for Gio after the lindholm and Chiarot trades. Won’t be surprised if it’s two seconds or 2nd and a prospect at this point.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
1) I'm not asking for the same return(because Chariot also got a 4th and a prospect on top of it and I'n also not Ron Francis)

2) Again, Giordano's better in every single statistic besides hitting compared to Chariot, even at age 38 and playing for a bad team.

Overall I find it strange that people always crap on Francis for asking for a first round pick(the expansion draft is over and can be discussed sepratly), especially if you see all those trades happening right now and with what is supposedly asked for marginal players.

On top of that Francis has to ask for for a lot because it's a negotiation and you're certainly not going in there asking what the other side is willing to give and just accept.
You go and ask for a lot and negotiate to see if you can find a deal.
He can ask for whatever he wants. We will see what he gets. If you prove right I'll give you credit for it. Until then I stand by his value being closer to a 2nd.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
He's an experienced top 4 defenseman who's had a solid season on an awful team and can provide quality leadership going into the playoffs for some team and he's a UFA so it's not like he's got a massive contract. Chariot just got a 1st, it's not hard to imagine him getting a first, especially if Seattle retain.
I don't doubt he will, I was poking fun at the post in the Chiarot thread

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not sure how much he has declined this year... but I would imagine a 1st would be reasonable.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Value sounds about right. He could knee an opposing star player in the playoffs, thus tilting the series in his team's favor. That's absolutely worth a 1st round pick

Reactions: JKG33 and fahad203

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Toronto is smart they lowball this and be comfortable with a different option. Just because Giordano wants to be in Toronto doesnt mean Toronto has to be the one who bends to make it happen.

It seems wild considering Philly didnt mess around in trading their long time heart of the franchise, because they wanted to do right by him.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This is insane. Mark Giordano isn't worth anywhere close to a 1st round pick.

He is way too slow to be an effective top four player anymore. He is not the answer for the Maple Leafs. They need to stay away unless the price is significantly lower and the plan is to upgrade the third pair.

Middleton would be a *much* better choice. Even Braun, who is only a marginal upgrade, is better than Giordano. I don't get why they are linked to him, he's clearly not what they need and the price is a joke.

Reactions: JKG33 and david999

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Just looking at his ice time, was he showcased his last 2 games, then healthy scratched as a precaution? That seems kind of an odd way to do it. Maybe they'll get their asking price, but his usage kind of screams 'overpaid #5 veteran on his last legs'.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chiarot, as this point in their respective career, is significantly better than Mark Giordano. They aren't close.
Plus Gio might retire. With Chiarot you are also buying a negotiating advantage for his next deal

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The Leafs aren't winning the cup in all likelihood, I would hold onto the pick imo. The team is d.o.a if they face Florida or Tampa in the 1st round. Its a shame that its another wasted year, but the reality is those teams are better and our goaltending is horrendous
That's the mindset that will lead them to losing Austin Matthews at the end of the 2023-2024 season as a UFA and have nothing to show for it. Trust me, as a Habs fan, I know all about not willing to go all in. You either go for it, or you don't. This sitting halfway in shit drives me nuts. I love that Tampa has the balls to take advantage of their peak years to just go for it. Same with Florida.

Not saying that Gio is worth a first, or that they should even trade for him, but do something at least. You're going to overpay for sure, but try and make your team better.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
1st round pick for a rental, who will be 39 years old at the start of next years season. He has played over 1000 games in the NHL but only 23 playoff games, not much experience in pressure cookers.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I think the Leafs hold onto their first for a few reasons.

1. They have played the UFA deadline trade game a lot lately, Foligno, Plekanec, Boyle, Muzzin, etc with limited success.

2. Hardest road to a cup they might ever have. Tampa, Florida, Carolina, & Colorado is a realistic road to the cup barring upsets which is absolutely brutal.

3. A lot of contenders have already traded their 2023 1st round picks as well as high profile prospects, this will increase even further today and tomorrow. This means the 2023 deadline is not going to have a ton of contenders with assets available. Pass on the sellers market in hopes of a buyers market next year. The guy you take in the 1st this year will have a lot of value next deadline.

St Louis with their aging core and quickly closing window is way more of a fit for Gio in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad