LeBrun: Asking price for Giordano is a 1st Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Giordano is worth a 3rd and a 5th. No more.

I agree wholeheartedly. People remember him as what he was, but he's not that guy anymore. Don't trade for the "name" trade for the player, and this player is not much more than a "veteran leader" at this point.

If Dubas is dumb enough to bring him in, he will have about the same impact on the roster as Joe Thornton did. This would be a stupid move.

Reactions: Team Cozens

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If you assume that the pick would otherwise beat the odds of a late 1st panning out to a meaningful extent.

A lot of the rental for a 1st trades end up insignificant for both sides in the end. Sekera was the ultimate rental gone awry; the Kings traded for him and proceeded to miss the playoffs! The pick the Canes acquired was used on Julien Gauthier. The Kings only could have used it on Thompson or Kyrou or DeBrincat (the notable players in the 21-40 range that year).

Not really.

A future 1st round pick can be used towards a future rental,, and is generally required if you want to trade for a reasonably high-impact player with term. Every year, teams go into the "deadline period" with whatever draft capital they have to make additions.

Florida next year already has a cap crunch, and it's going to be extremely difficult for them to add given that they've got basically no picks to trade... and have also traded several of their recent higher picks (Heineman, Smilanic, Kolyachonok).

Selling teams also tend to like instant gratification with picks that they get to use immediately. If you're not able to offer "current year" picks, it generally means you have to pay with higher-quality picks.

Last edited:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You mean 2019? You are right he is no-longer a top 5 defenseman in the entire NHL. But he is still a top 4 defenseman on a majority of teams. And would be a great addition to whoever gets him
Let me first state that I'm not being rude or sparky, I genuinely want to know in your opinion from watching gio this year what he would bring to the leafs ?

Ledge And Dairy

Let me first state that I'm not being rude or sparky, I genuinely want to know in your opinion from watching gio this year what he would bring to the leafs ?
Leadership, physicality, defense, passion, drive, etc. The guy gives it all every game, he's not at that Norris level anymore but but he is still quite a good player. I personally do not expect Muzzin to be back before the playoffs and think he will really bolster their defense for when he does return

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Leadership, physicality, defense, passion, drive, etc. The guy gives it all every game, he's not at that Norris level anymore but but he is still quite a good player. I personally do not expect Muzzin to be back before the playoffs and think he will really bolster their defense for when he does return
Well I hope 100% that you are right. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If Chiarot didn't get traded... they would have got nothing. It's the exact same situation.
Well if by exact same thing you mean different players, different contracts, different ages, one with some control of his destination, and Chariot possible to sign and Gio impossible....well then yeah.....exactly same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad