Ask the Ref (Rec Hockey) Thread

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Another thought I had on that scenario is that even pressuring the defender with the puck calls for a whistle and intentional offside call. Therefore if he even gets near him I would blow the play dead and any shenanigans can now be called as roughing penalties for happening after the whistle.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Another thought I had on that scenario is that even pressuring the defender with the puck calls for a whistle and intentional offside call. Therefore if he even gets near him I would blow the play dead and any shenanigans can now be called as roughing penalties for happening after the whistle.

If the player was carrying the puck, I don't know if he would have time to react by the time the player got close enough.

If you were choosing to protect a player who was vulnerable by blowing the whistle as the other player got closer, that would probably be a good judgement call.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I bet if I asked some coaches of games you reffed, they would disagree! :laugh::laugh:
I have never stood on the blueline and waived that off. I am darn sure I have missed calls due to players obstructing view etc....but never with that clear a view. (I hope I don't jinx myself.)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
What's the deal with NHL linesmen always jumping up on the boards?

I was always taught never to do this because it's dangerous, a player could get bumped into you and then you've broken a few fingers, and I've seen an NHL linesman get hit into the bench after doing it. I was always taught if you're in the way move off the line into the zone or go the other way and have your partner come down to cover your line.

I don't get why they don't do that, it's basic stuff :dunno:

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
What's the deal with NHL linesmen always jumping up on the boards?

I was always taught never to do this because it's dangerous, a player could get bumped into you and then you've broken a few fingers, and I've seen an NHL linesman get hit into the bench after doing it. I was always taught if you're in the way move off the line into the zone or go the other way and have your partner come down to cover your line.

I don't get why they don't do that, it's basic stuff :dunno:

I jumped on the boards, I climbed the screen and glass. I would even stand on top of the boards hanging onto the glass. Never got injured doing it and never injured a player with my skates when up there. I held the line and avoided injury. A few times I got knocked into the players bench but was always caught by them and pushed back up.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I jumped on the boards, I climbed the screen and glass. I would even stand on top of the boards hanging onto the glass. Never got injured doing it and never injured a player with my skates when up there. I held the line and avoided injury. A few times I got knocked into the players bench but was always caught by them and pushed back up.

I always got rinsed by supervisors and senior refs every time I did it, even if I was just jumping out of the way of the puck, it's massively frowned upon in IIHF standards. Climbing up the glass just sounds ridiculous :laugh: surely it's easier to just move off the line? The NHL guys only do it on the bench side.

I've never been injured doing it either, but they always insisted it was unsafe

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
To also get you thinking, I never wore a helmet and the only protection that I wore was a cup, soccer shin pads and 3/8 inch thick foam rubber knee pads.

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I have never stood on the blueline and waived that off. I am darn sure I have missed calls due to players obstructing view etc....but never with that clear a view. (I hope I don't jinx myself.)
I was just joking with you...but mostly making fun of coaches that think every "missed" called is the end of the world for their team. :)

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Alright I'm a ref of 10 years myself, but I'd like to get your insight on what, if anything, you would call in this situation.

Contact league, touch up offsides.
Play is in offensive zone, puck barely comes out, team dumps it back in offsides. As team is clearing the zone, defensive team player picks it up and passes by a offensive player leaving the zone. Now, offensive team player skates as if he is going to clear the zone, but as passing by the defensive player with the puck lays him out (shoulder to shoulder, shoulder to chest, something that is clean). What's the call? Just intentional offsides.
I've seen situations like this and it never happens (either because it's dirty, or there is a penalty). When imagining this think of high speed. The player who has the puck is completely defenseless because he thinks the player will clear the zone since it's offsides, but instead gets laid out.

I can't think of a way to give the player any penalty, even though it is a very cheap move.

Actually, if the offensive player is attempting to play the puck or the player, he's offsides at that point and then anything after that can be called for roughing or a 10 for being a dick. It could even be deemed attempt to injure due to the circumstances.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've never been told to avoid jumping up on the boards in front of the players' benches. If I'm not on the bench side of the ice I'll just skate into the zone though.

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
Just to be clear... is there such a thing as too much stick lift? When I am covering a guy, I constantly stick lift. Tie up and bother them by never letting them have an easy stick on the ice. A guy in my game last week was crying to the ref over interference, slash, blah, blah. I just wanted to know if I was in fact doing anything illegal there? Away from the puck, is there any reason I cannot lift constantly?

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
There is no glove hand pass in the defensive zone. Goalie are included in that. (Every league I do.)
That would be a question for Uncle Sam. And all the times you cross the boarder, I am sure eventually a customs agent would rubber glove you. Not worth it.

You can push a guy in front as long as it isn't inhibiting from him moving around the ice. If his back is to you, I recommend glove hand in middle of back. If you use two hands, it is hard for the ref to see if you are putting a stick on him and that might get you called. Also if your arms extend too far or too hard and knock the guy down, it is interference.

Keep your elbows down. Don't constantly whack his stick, best is constant, but not violent, stick lifts.

I have a couple of somewhat related questions, I play in a D level league to put this in context though I wouldn't expect that to change the technical answer but maybe the practical one. I've heard different things about stick lifts, one interpretation is that if you stick lift a player who is not playing the puck (i.e., has it or receiving a pass) it could be interpreted as hooking or interference. Is that right? Maybe it's a question of how many times in a row (ref discretion?)? Similarly, if a guy is skating away from me with the puck, can I hook my stick over his to pull his stick back and try and make him lose the puck? That strikes me as more obvious hooking but haven't see it called. Thanks!

Last edited:

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
I *think* the catch with hooking comes down to whether or not you impede progress. If you get the stick and knock the puck off, I don't think that is a penalty nor is to constantly bang the stick. But if you change or redirect there progress, make the body turn, or something like that, then I think you get the call.

Of course, that is just my guess. My question was really more about when you are simply marking someone and tieing up. It seems to me as long as you are just making stick to stick contact and not holding or pinning the stick, you should be fine.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Just to be clear... is there such a thing as too much stick lift? When I am covering a guy, I constantly stick lift. Tie up and bother them by never letting them have an easy stick on the ice. A guy in my game last week was crying to the ref over interference, slash, blah, blah. I just wanted to know if I was in fact doing anything illegal there? Away from the puck, is there any reason I cannot lift constantly?
By definition of the rule, you are interfering with a player away from the play.

If it occurs often, I can see, depending on the ref, you getting called. If I see a guy on one play trying to tie up a stick, or in their zone in front of the net....no call.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I have a couple of somewhat related questions, I play in a D level league to put this in context though I wouldn't expect that to change the technical answer but maybe the practical one. I've heard different things about stick lifts, one interpretation is that if you stick lift a player who is not playing the puck (i.e., has it or receiving a pass) it could be interpreted as hooking or interference. Is that right? Maybe it's a question of how many times in a row (ref discretion?)? Similarly, if a guy is skating away from me with the puck, can I hook my stick over his to pull his stick back and try and make him lose the puck? That strikes me as more obvious hooking but haven't see it called. Thanks!
1. Turning your stick over so the bottom of the blade is pointed up is a tell tale sign of hooking. Many refs don't make that call. Usually when sticks are blade near blade, they play on.

2. Stick lifts are fine, even "minor hooks"(If a stick lift goes up to the hands and is lifted for only a moment, then the hook won't get called.).

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
1. Turning your stick over so the bottom of the blade is pointed up is a tell tale sign of hooking. Many refs don't make that call. Usually when sticks are blade near blade, they play on.

2. Stick lifts are fine, even "minor hooks"(If a stick lift goes up to the hands and is lifted for only a moment, then the hook won't get called.).

Thanks, very helpful!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad