Ask the Ref (Rec Hockey) Thread

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Is there an appetite for an "Ask the ref" thread? Maybe if you had a question wondering (Why, why not), a certain call was made, I can possibly give some insight? I average 30-40 games a month so I see it all.

My best call of the week? I went to the captain of a team and said "You know, I blew that call. Sorry about that...." (6 guys on the ice, but neither player going on or off touched the puck and I called too many men.)

Huskys

Oct 7, 2011
How do you prefer players to "let you know" something is happening when you aren't looking... ie dirty stuff? Or would would you rather we just play through it. I often wonder if me saying "this guy just hacked my ankles", paints me a whiner, or would you want to know.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
What is the funniest thing a player has said to you?

My faves are the chirps. When I am standing on the blueline while the play is in the O zone, some comical stuff. Most stuff I couldn't type here, but the first time I heard a guy tell his teammate that "He was all Swedish, no Finnish..." a good chuckle.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
How do you prefer players to "let you know" something is happening when you aren't looking... ie dirty stuff? Or would would you rather we just play through it. I often wonder if me saying "this guy just hacked my ankles", paints me a whiner, or would you want to know.

Between periods is best.
"Hey stripes, got a sec? Can I ask you to watch #7? He is getting agressive with the stick on the ankles. Thanks."

If the ref hasn't called it, then yelling at him "Hey did you see that? The guy whacked me." isn't going to do any good. He either A. Didn't see it. or B. Think it was bad enough for a call.

A slash isn't usually called unless it is excessive force, or in a dangerous area. (Hands, arms, back of legs) Whacks to the lower part of the stick, or even feet don't always fall into that category.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
What's your stance in regards to Goaltender Interference? Inside/outside paint? Minor/major impediment?

What's you stance on goaltenders pushing/shoving players in front? As in pushing over a guy trying to screen me?

Do you take any more/less attention to what the goaltender is asking/complaining to you about?

I'm just curious, while all three of these situations are incredibly varied in terms of the refs. I just want to see a general rule of thumb.

Thanks,

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
What's your stance in regards to Goaltender Interference? Inside/outside paint? Minor/major impediment?
One league I have, there is a 3 second rule for being in the crease. The other no rule. To me, the goaltender owns the paint, so if in the process of trying to make a save, he is impeded by the player, then goaltender interference should be called.

If outside the paint, the player must initiate the contact to be an infraction. If you bump a player while coming out to cut down the angle or it is incidental, it becomes very discretionary, and you most likely won't get a call.

What's you stance on goaltenders pushing/shoving players in front? As in pushing over a guy trying to screen me?
There is a difference between giving a guy a push, and a one arm cross check. My suggestion is that instead of a punch, it has to be a push. I also recommend not too high up because if you get him in the head or knock him over, it is a penalty against you. The best scenerio is talking to your Dmen to do their job...I have seen too many times a tender scored on trying to clear his own crease.
Do you take any more/less attention to what the goaltender is asking/complaining to you about?
I generally take it more serious because nothing screws up a game more than guys taking liberties with a tender. It all has to be brought up the right way though. The tender is also the only guy other than a captain that you will always at least hear him out.

I'm just curious, while all three of these situations are incredibly varied in terms of the refs. I just want to see a general rule of thumb.

Thanks,
No problem.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner

Thanks for the response Slats.

All of your points are pretty much spot on to what I had assumed. Thanks for at least solidifying that for me.

But, some guys do deserve a nice punch to the back, no? :laugh:

Mos refs are alright to me shoving guys away, only two roughing penalties. One was a legitimate call as my hand slid up his back and hit the back of his head. The other involved a guy getting knocked down. I'm not a big guy, I don't generally physically impose myself.

Again, thanks.

JR97

May 16, 2012
How often do refs talk to each other about missed/bad calls or tightening/loosening things up depending on game flow? Is there typically a senior ref assigned and if not is it common for a one of the refs to assume a seniority role?

We had a game the other night where one of the refs had only 1 game under his belt and it showed. Whistle in the pocket and major indecisiveness when it wasn't. We were chirping the other ref because we've known him for a while and he's a pretty good ref but he he wouldn't respond at all when we were asking if he'd talk to the other guy.

The only real thing that pissed us off was a major slew foot behind the play but right in front of him he watched the whole time. Nearly ended up in a brawl.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Do refs ever talk about NHL calls they see, and if so, have fun talking about Edmonton vs LA tonight because my god.

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I hope Slat doesn't mind me giving my answers/opinions on some of these.

One suggestion I will give you question askers is to refer to the level/league/whatever you are asking the question about. Answers (not just on rules, but game management) could be vary different depending on the league/level.

How often do refs talk to each other about missed/bad calls or tightening/loosening things up depending on game flow?
As far as missed/bad calls, it depends on who I am reffing with. It it's a friend or someone I feel comfortable bringing it up on my own, I will. If it's someone that I don't know at all or think they will take offence to me bringing it up, I will keep it to myself. If my partner (or ref while I'm lining) asks me, I will give my honest opinion and talk about the call with them.

Is there typically a senior ref assigned and if not is it common for a one of the refs to assume a seniority role?
There are some games I get assigned and I know it's for the purpose of being the more experienced of the 2 of us. For most games, my partner and I are equals. I always show a lot of respect for the more seniors (in age or experience) guys and ask them about calls to see their opinion. I'm not afraid to ask their opinion about calls I've made but I think a lot of refs don't think the same way.

We had a game the other night where one of the refs had only 1 game under his belt and it showed. Whistle in the pocket and major indecisiveness when it wasn't. We were chirping the other ref because we've known him for a while and he's a pretty good ref but he he wouldn't respond at all when we were asking if he'd talk to the other guy.

The only real thing that pissed us off was a major slew foot behind the play but right in front of him he watched the whole time. Nearly ended up in a brawl.
As I stated above, the level of this game could change my answer big time. If he only had 1 game ever previously, I'm hoping this was a adult league game. If I was the other ref in this situation, I will give my partner pointers and bring up a few missed/bad calls. To reply to the players, I would state his experience level, ask you to cut him some slack, and talk to him about the questionable calls you brought up and (I assume) I did not see.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Do refs ever talk about NHL calls they see, and if so, have fun talking about Edmonton vs LA tonight because my god.

I emailed my assignor today saying if I ever have to ref with either guy that did the Edmonton game tonight, I quit. (Assignor actually works as off ice official for Oilers) ;)

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
How often do refs talk to each other about missed/bad calls or tightening/loosening things up depending on game flow? Is there typically a senior ref assigned and if not is it common for a one of the refs to assume a seniority role?

If I have a rookie ref with me, my approach to the game changes. When you are with a veteran ref, you know that you will likely be on the same wavelength. If he is in position to make a call, when you are far behind the play, you may defer.

I look at games with the rookie, as if I am reffing alone. Meaning, I won't rely on my partner to make a call, I will make all calls without hesitation. Not only that, if my partner is absolutely blowing a call...I will take him away from the players and try to overrule him in private, allowing him to make the final decision. You can't undermine your partner because he won't gain confidence but you can talk to him to encourage proper calls.

The pointers will come after the game, but during the game, my job is to ensure the safety of both teams. Sometimes you just have bad partners.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
I like to chirp players...

Usually a "At least I get more ice time" shuts them up :)

The refs that can joke around a bit and take things lightly usually lighten the mood overall.

Always a treat to hear a ref tell an opposing player to not shoot it at my chest, he'll get more luck that way. This usually gets a response of telling him to shut it, because he's giving away my secrets.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I remember when a rec player told me I had obviously never played the game

that was hilarious

But remember, all rec players are the second coming of Crosby! :sarcasm:

The refs that can joke around a bit and take things lightly usually lighten the mood overall.

Always a treat to hear a ref tell an opposing player to not shoot it at my chest, he'll get more luck that way. This usually gets a response of telling him to shut it, because he's giving away my secrets.

Yeah I always like to have a good laugh with players, if I stack it (rarely do) I'll laugh it off with players and stuff...

Course, it doesn't help when some players don't realise that we're actually human...

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
Does reporting a ref to a league actually accomplish anything?

At the risk of sounding like a whiner, there is one ref in particular who calls everything against us and never calls anything against the other team. We've had him three games in a row and we spend so much time on the PK. One of the guys on my team stupidly told him to 'suck his dick' a few games ago which is probably why he hates us (he rightfully got ejected). I don't condone what the guy did, but should the whole team pay for the rest of the season as the result of one idiot's actions?

I don't expect quality reffing in rec hockey, but at least be professional. It's for fun and no one is having fun when you're on the PK all game. Not to mention the severe lack of ice time.

Today we got 8 minors from him. Some justified, some not. But even so, 8 is just a ridiculous amount for a rec game. Any other ref is 2-3 max.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Does reporting a ref to a league actually accomplish anything?

At the risk of sounding like a whiner, there is one ref in particular who calls everything against us and never calls anything against the other team. We've had him three games in a row and we spend so much time on the PK. One of the guys on my team stupidly told him to 'suck his dick' a few games ago which is probably why he hates us (he rightfully got ejected). I don't condone what the guy did, but should the whole team pay for the rest of the season as the result of one idiot's actions?

I don't expect quality reffing in rec hockey, but at least be professional. It's for fun and no one is having fun when you're on the PK all game. Not to mention the severe lack of ice time.

Today we got 8 minors from him. Some justified, some not. But even so, 8 is just a ridiculous amount for a rec game. Any other ref is 2-3 max.

From personal experience, no.

However I suppose if you complain after every game you might have a chance of something happening!

I Am Score*

I don't claim to be good at all but probably the most missed calls are side-swipes.

Some asshat decides to swipe your skates and your down in a heap. It's always a "maybe he fell" type of decision.

I've had this happen to me in the first minute of a game and they cleared the zone because of it. So dirty I almost slashed him for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad