Seravalli: Ask for Erik Karlsson is three first-round picks and Sharks will retain 18% of his contract.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm not saying he could have played this better, but how is the puck carrier a threat heading for a breakaway"?

There was a dude literally in the middle of the ice blocking McAvoy's way - EK blocking the puck carrier's left side + being in the way of a pass to David Pastrnak

View attachment 640063

Can't do anything about the shitty quality, but explain me what the play was there? The puck was never on EK's side. Should he have double teamed McAvoy with his teammate, or poked through two pairs of skates to get the puck while McAvoy was deking EK's teammate?

If EK double teamed McAvoy, the easy play was to pass it back to Pastrnak, who would have had a wide open lane to the net.

Or maybe EK should have stayed lower? Again, Pastrnak would have had an open lane.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but it seems like a play where McAvoy pulled a highlight-real move on EK's teammate and slithered through.
The part where he blows by both defenders and goes on a breakaway and EK stands there with his controller disconnected

He should've maybe closed the gap when he sees a guy skating towards the net, maybe at least attempt a stick check ? Or once the guy actually blows by, maybe turn around and try and get a stick on the puck, maybe move his feet ?

He didn't need to double team him, just close the gap and don't allow a guy to easily walk through

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I mean I fully agree that Karlsson doesn’t make a ton of sense to EDM. It’s just what was reported. Also my main point was that we’d take back cap. Now I agree it won’t be 3 firsts but if we are taking back guys like Barrie (would be made useless by EK) and Pulju or you know the equivalent from other teams, it makes a lot more sense for other teams to be looking into him. I’m still of the belief EK will be a Shark next year.
Barrie would have to go back in that scenario, yes. Both for the cap, and as you said for positional usefulness. Bouchard can still be bridged next year, plus I think has more upside than Barrie.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
It is, let go of the Stockholm Syndrome.

Do you understand how bad you have to be defensively to be to have 70% o zone start and still be on pace for 123 ESGA?

But if he's so great, feel free to keep that anchor of a cap hit
We literally don't want him because he's good. He's almost single-handedly ruined our Bedard chances this year. We want to trade him because he's bringing us up to mediocrity.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The part where he blows by both defenders and goes on a breakaway and EK stands there with his controller disconnected

He should've maybe closed the gap when he sees a guy skating towards the net, maybe at least attempt a stick check ? Or once the guy actually blows by, maybe turn around and try and get a stick on the puck, maybe move his feet ?

He didn't need to double team him, just close the gap and don't allow a guy to easily walk through

We disagree and thats fine. But suggesting a pokecheck is kinda ridiculous there, the puck was never on EK's side to begin with and there was a 2nd defender who tagged McAvoy (the one that got blown by)

EK was clearly playing thepass here and trusted his teammate who was responsible for the player coming in. I guess he shouldn't have trusted his teammate.

The thing is, there was no win here for EK. If he did go to the center ice to block the body, EK's side of the ice is now wide open for Pastrnak to attack and then some people complain that he's "out of position". Just seems like there would be worst plays to pick on Karlsson if hes that bad defensively

It was a great play by McAvoy, and it happens in hockey games.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
berniesharks.jpg

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Instead Karlsson actively uninvolved himself in the play. There was a goal earlier in the season floating around here that was only a highlight goal because of his similar inaction.

Playoff teams cannot afford those lapses in a tight playoff series.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
SJ should be happy to take two 1sts and get out from that contract.

Hot take- I think part of why EK looks so good this year is because SJ is so bad. Pretty much all the offense goes through him, he’s in on every scoring play. If your team thinks they can keep their system and productively add this guy I’ve got an NFT to sell ya. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still a big addition on pretty much any roster, but I don’t think he’ll put up even 75% of this offense on a team whose game plan isn’t “get EK the puck. EK make magic. Sometimes forward doesn’t screw up and scores.”

That all said, Edmonton has that lack of talent through much of their lineup.. so.

Barrie, Kulak, Pulj, and two 1sts for EK at 18% retained? Think that just about works cap-wise (that’s the other big problem with SJ’s ask- pretty much no one can solely give up three 1sts only). Probably more than SJ wants in terms of players, could decimate Oilers’ bad roster more, but they gotta do somethin and that’d be a big somethin.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Hot take- I think part of why EK looks so good this year is because SJ is so bad. Pretty much all the offense goes through him, he’s in on every scoring play. If your team thinks they can keep their system and productively add this guy I’ve got an NFT to sell ya. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still a big addition on pretty much any roster, but I don’t think he’ll put up even 75% of this offense on a team whose game plan isn’t “get EK the puck. EK make magic. Sometimes forward doesn’t screw up and scores.”

That all said, Edmonton has that lack of talent through much of their lineup.. so.

Barrie, Kulak, Pulj, and two 1sts for EK at 18% retained? Think that just about works cap-wise (that’s the other big problem with SJ’s ask- pretty much no one can solely give up three 1sts only). Probably more than SJ wants in terms of players, could decimate Oilers’ bad roster more, but they gotta do somethin and that’d be a big somethin.
I think your concern about how a system works or doesn't upon adding Karlsson was already answered when the Sharks did add Karlsson to their well-established system the year he came over. He produced and the team still won a lot of games. Karlsson isn't incapable of being a huge production help to an established team. Most hockey still runs through the right point just by natural game flow. I don't think it's really that outlandish to think a Karlsson playing as he currently is could go onto a good team, get similar time and opportunities, and still be around a point-per-game. His norm as he'd get older would probably drop from that number but on a good year could hit that. The actual concern over this contract isn't play caliber. It's health. Karlsson can and will produce anywhere he goes if he's in the lineup. And if your forwards actually know how to hold on to a puck beyond just really two guys, you'll be able to benefit from his ability to generate scoring opportunities.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

He’s in on every scoring play because he creates every scoring play. You understand he’s on pace for over 100 points as a defenseman on a team with literally 4 top 6 forwards and 1 top pairing D and the rest of the team is 4th line/bottom pair guys right?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I guess the sharks are expecting all other teams to ignore the previous 4 years of injury plagued seasons with the Sharks. He missed an average of 28 games the previous 4 seasons.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The only way it would be remotely possible on the Oilers would be at 50%. What would it take?

Presumably 3 firsts to start

Plus Bourgault? For salary, Puljujarvi and Kulak (or Barrie)

I'm not sure if I'd want that, but is that what we are looking at?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think your concern about how a system works or doesn't upon adding Karlsson was already answered when the Sharks did add Karlsson to their well-established system the year he came over. He produced and the team still won a lot of games. Karlsson isn't incapable of being a huge production help to an established team. Most hockey still runs through the right point just by natural game flow. I don't think it's really that outlandish to think a Karlsson playing as he currently is could go onto a good team, get similar time and opportunities, and still be around a point-per-game. His norm as he'd get older would probably drop from that number but on a good year could hit that. The actual concern over this contract isn't play caliber. It's health. Karlsson can and will produce anywhere he goes if he's in the lineup. And if your forwards actually know how to hold on to a puck beyond just really two guys, you'll be able to benefit from his ability to generate scoring opportunities.

He’s on pace to wreck his old career highs on the worst roster he’s been on. He looked infinitely worse with Burns on the squad. Are we really gonna say he just hasn’t been healthy in 3 years?

Don’t get me wrong, he’s playing incredibly well, and even by my own numbers- 75% of what he’s doing is still just shy of ppg. But I don’t really know if what makes EK succeed can just be transferred over to another roster. He’d still be a major addition, sharks are trying to sell high, but I don’t think he’d look Norris-caliber on most playoffs teams is all.

He’s in on every scoring play because he creates every scoring play. You understand he’s on pace for over 100 points as a defenseman on a team with literally 4 top 6 forwards and 1 top pairing D and the rest of the team is 4th line/bottom pair guys right?

..that’s kinda what I’m saying? If there were more talent they’d have a better overall structure and wouldn’t have to rely on him so much. As is, their best option is to just go through him, he picks up points, and they lose 4-2 or somethin as he gets 2 points. That’s not a knock on him, he’s by far their best option to produce scoring plays.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He’s on pace to wreck his old career highs on the worst roster he’s been on. He looked infinitely worse with Burns on the squad. Are we really gonna say he just hasn’t been healthy in 3 years?

Don’t get me wrong, he’s playing incredibly well, and even by my own numbers- 75% of what he’s doing is still just shy of ppg. But I don’t really know if what makes EK succeed can just be transferred over to another roster. He’d still be a major addition, sharks are trying to sell high, but I don’t think he’d look Norris-caliber on most playoffs teams is all.

..that’s kinda what I’m saying? If there were more talent they’d have a better overall structure and wouldn’t have to rely on him so much. As is, their best option is to just go through him, he picks up points, and they lose 4-2 or somethin as he gets 2 points. That’s not a knock on him, he’s by far their best option to produce scoring plays.
I think you could also say if they had more talent he’d have more points because those bottom line players wouldn’t be flubbing all of the chances he’s creating.

If all the pressure wasn’t on him would he produce more?

The only way it would be remotely possible on the Oilers would be at 50%. What would it take?

Presumably 3 firsts to start

Plus Bourgault? For salary, Puljujarvi and Kulak (or Barrie)

I'm not sure if I'd want that, but is that what we are looking at?
Sharks aren’t taking on cap. We aren’t going to somehow end up with the same or similar cap hit. That’s stupid for them to do. You gotta pay a lot more for that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think you could also say if they had more talent he’d have more points because those bottom line players wouldn’t be flubbing all of the chances he’s creating.

If all the pressure wasn’t on him would he produce more?

Sharks aren’t taking on cap. We aren’t going to somehow end up with the same or similar cap hit. That’s stupid for them to do. You gotta pay a lot more for that.
Doesn't it help at all that the players I suggested are not cap dumps? They all have positive value. Perhaps Puljujarvi does not but he's an interesting target for a non playoff team and the Sharks could walk away after this season, or keep him.

Edit: plus Bourgault is our top prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad