Seravalli: Ask for Erik Karlsson is three first-round picks and Sharks will retain 18% of his contract.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Can any playoff team add a 10 million cap hit though?
I’d be shocked if Grier wasn’t willing to take bad contract(s) that aren’t too long in order to make it almost a cap neutral trade.

If Karl is traded, it’s a full blown rebuild and cap isn’t a concern anymore.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
My point is that there are a lot of bad and/or desperate GMs who have overpaid worse defensemen and have traded multiple first rounders to do it. Stan Bowman was thought by many to be one of the best GMs and even he made a horrendous trade for a top-flight Damn.

You've now typed two novels explaining why it can't and won't happen again, but some of the GMs who made the boneheaded moves still have their jobs. So it will happen again, it's just a matter of when.

Also, there are zero teams who would trade for Karlsson who wouldn't need to send salary back, so part of the price for Karlsson is eating the bad contracts the other team would need to send to the Sharks to make the trade happen. Eating a 4-6M contract is worth a 1st on its own.
Going back I think I at least partly misread/misunderstood your point/tone in the original post I quoted, especially after going back and reading some of the earlier trade offers in the thread lol.

I mean I agreed some GM might do it, I guess I misread your saying ‘it’s dopey to think the sharks shouldn’t ask for it’ with “any great GM would jump at this” *

* it also didn’t occur to me that a 1st of the haul could go to a second partner to eat more salary.

I still think it could be really hard to pull off, but I was thinking along the lines of “would I want one of my teams to do this; this seems like a really risky idea”

I read the Karlsson interview where he seemed to sound like he could be happy to stay as he trusts Grier if the timeline fits, but opene ended. Someone suggested to me the sharks might wait til the draft or later and see what pick they end up with

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Yep that was totally on EK. Genius. Whatever your personal vendetta is against EK, it’s gotten real old.

Always an excuse eh? At least you won't have to worry about him pulling this sh*t in the playoffs.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Honestly that seems entirely reasonable from San Jose.

That has San Jose retaining $2 million, so the equivalent of 3 1sts for Karlsson at $9.5 million for 5 years doesn't seem like a ridiculous ask at all.
31 GMs completely disagree with you

I mean the Penguins can’t afford it, but if they could and had the need? Of course.

He’s leading the league in ES production right now as a defenseman. He’s a dynamic OFD that can anchor a blue line that’s still at an age where he should be good for most of the rest of his contract.

In a world where players like Jones and Nurse are making $9.5 million, I would absolutely trade 3 1sts for Karlsson at $9.5 million.
I found Mike Grier’s account

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
most of them when the off-season comes and we take back some contracts.

Not really... look around the league at the good teams... making $9.5m of space is going to certainly mean carving out important parts of their roster.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I’d be shocked if Grier wasn’t willing to take bad contract(s) that aren’t too long in order to make it almost a cap neutral trade.

If Karl is traded, it’s a full blown rebuild and cap isn’t a concern anymore.
Taking on a bad / questionable deal, especially if it's shorter / smaller than Karlsson at $9.5m, is practically a given in any trade.

The problem is -- you look around the league at the top teams, there's not (m)any who have $5m+ in "bad" money.

It’s not though. Most teams that would have interest in him would be able to fit him.

I'd like to se your suggestion as to who can fit him in, and how.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yep that was totally on EK. Genius. Whatever your personal vendetta is against EK, it’s gotten real old.
You're not seriously trying to defend Karlsson there are you ? It's a known fact, he's one of the worst players defensively and he has been that way his entire career. He always scores at a ridiculous rate and always gets torched and plays with minimal effort defensively. That is like 90% on him on that play, laziest stick check, horrible positioning, no effort, didn't even bother skating to put pressure on the guy.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You're not seriously trying to defend Karlsson there are you ? It's a known fact, he's one of the worst players defensively and he has been that way his entire career. He always scores at a ridiculous rate and always gets torched and plays with minimal effort defensively. That is like 90% on him on that play, laziest stick check, horrible positioning, no effort, didn't even bother skating to put pressure on the guy.
How is that his fault that the forward got blown by? How is it his fault that he stuck to his man? He’s been fine defensively with SJ.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
How is that his fault that the forward got blown by? How is it his fault that he stuck to his man? He’s been fine defensively with SJ.
He got blown by*

He doesn't recognize that the threat is the puck carrier heading for a breakaway to the net, and instead stands back watching the point man ? That was the most pathetic stick check effort and doesn't even bother turning or skating to keep up with the guy

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He got blown by*

He doesn't recognize that the threat is the puck carrier heading for a breakaway to the net, and instead stands back watching the point man ? That was the most pathetic stick check effort and doesn't even bother turning or skating to keep up with the guy
He’s on the right. It wasn’t his guy.

EK was so far out of the play that forward covered his position. 28 is probably used to covering for bad positioning.
That’s the Sharks defensive system. It f***ing sucks. There’s a reason they are close to last.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Sharks are thinking he won't shrivel back up and this offense disappears again. Without that offense, his defensive blunders can't be covered up.

I would have buyers caution so 3 1sts don't really do it.

EDIT: Technically it was only 2 bad years but still, this current rate of offense is unsustainable considering he's never had a season before this one at age 32 at a PPG.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Clearly, you don’t understand. Karlsson is and has been absolutely horrible without the puck on his stick the whole time he has been with the Sharks.

• Haha
Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad