Aside from Crosby, which player has highest skill in league?

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Nah. Sid is just a harder worker and a Smarter player. Malkin doesn't grind along the boards like Sid, thats not skill imo.

Malkin 1 on 1 is beating that player most the time.

Sid 1 on 1 is probably dumping the puck in the corner, because he knows he can't beat players 1 on 1.

Like Kovalev, he's probably one of the most skilled players Ever(also more skilled than Sid). But you wouldn't say he's one of the best ever.

There are fundamentals to hockey, even in the NHL. Every center in the league shares similar positional assignments and responsibilities in all zones. And every player in the league, if presented with the opportunity, will try to score.

Differences between top and bottom 6 players are numerous. Sometimes it's "system", sometimes it's individual role, line construction, depth, etc. "Checking line" players are tasked with "making the safe play" and "managing the puck" by the coaching staff. Line matching and zone deployments are huge in today's game, so if the third line can keep the puck in the opposing zone, and at least force an O-zone face off, coaches can throw out a scoring line that is now operating in zone. Possession is huge now, and more likely, because winning a faceoff likely means a shot on goal...no zone entry needed.

All that to say, every single center "grinds" along the boards. It's how the game is played, and it's a facet of a center's deployment and responsibility in all zones. Now every hockey fan and player acknowledge Crosby's mastery of "grinding" (which is a misnomer), and he's able to play along the wall, in heavy traffic, and create space from those areas better than anyone, right? So if he's creating many more chances from the routine areas, in routine situations, from routine plays than every other player sharing the center position, wouldn't it stand to reason that "grinding along the boards", is ABSOLUTELY a skill?

Crosby is not a "skilled grinder", or some Rudy incarnate that only dominates the league due to infinite heart or will or whatever intangible you'd like to conjure up. He's undeniably one of the most skilled players the league has ever seen, in any individual skill you'd wish to evaluate. Run down the list and he'll be at the top or top 5 in any individual attribute.

What you're saying about his 1 v 1 skills is blatantly false and ridiculous. He, like Gretzky, plays the game like a series of 2 on 1s. He's always looking to create little mismatches with his teammates and doing so very likely increases the chances of converting on looks. Is Malkin (and I hate you're using him as the counter example here) beating 2-3 players on his own and scoring routinely? No, because rarely are you seeing such defensive breakdowns. Trying to dangle often just leads to more puck possession....not the highlight reel outliers that go down once or twice a week across the league. Think about how many times a team possesses the puck without a shot on goal. Now think about the average shots on goal. Now think about the average goals per game. See the trend? It's hard to get a look, and even when you do, its hard to score.

You and others may argue with this, but I'd like to know what criteria you're using for this Kovalev > Crosby in terms of skill. Because I don't buy it in the slightest. His Warrior videos? His sick highlight reels? Kovalev was a great player, but compared to Crosby, his skills were unbelievably narrow. Toe drag and wrister. Cool. It's not just the flashy goal that takes "skill."

Last edited:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Thank you, Blues88.
You know hockey and I give you the last word. I will never ever read another thread on Crosby. There is nothing left to say.

If not the Oilers I'd like to see St. Louis win it all.

:):):):)

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
IeAG6jv.gif

GreedySmoggyIsopod.gif

gkiCNTP.gif

ThirstyUnripeArizonaalligatorlizard.gif

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
What is this. He just shoot the puck to golie's head, are you kidding right
For example this is really great play

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Maybe try and make the moves, possess the vision and have the puck on a string whilst travelling at that speed. Perhaps that will enable you to view skill in a whole new light!
Maybe try and make the moves, possess the vision and have the puck on a string whilst travelling at that speed. Perhaps that will enable you to view skill in a whole new light!
What make McD exceptional is what you say, what he can do with speed. Speed by itself is not that unique.

I'm not well versed in this stuff, just a fan. Curious though, does McD's speedy style make him more of a challenge for his teammates to play with?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm not sure how you measure "most skilled".

If we use the bank off the goalie goal as an example that is hockey sense (to me) and an average shooter could have scored the same goal but may not have seen the option. Hockey sense is probably Crosby's domain.

Deking and puck handling are what jump out at me when you say skill, which makes me think of Malkin.

Skating is certainly a skill but speed alone does not define the skill, McDavid surely owns this category though.

Protecting the puck and winning corner battles is certainly a skill but a lot of lower profile players are extremely strong in this department.

Then there is getting into prime scoring positions and that "Brett Hull appear out of no where" ability. Matthews is pretty good in this category.

Shot, I suppose most would say Laine or Ovie. I'll give it to Ovie for old time sake but this one is Laine's for the taking.

Passing? Tough call, could go to a lot of people.

Defensive awareness? I'll give this one to Mr Barkov.

Face offs? Checking. Take aways. Agitating. These are all skills too aren't they?

When I look at all the different potential categories and who I think the top guys in each I do think Crosby comes out the winner in this one, but it is subjective as hell and depends on what skills you value most. No one jumps out at me as #2.

Not a bad thread, an interesting topic to be sure but a bit of a fail when you tell people who they can and cannot pick.

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Ovi is definitely not the same player he was back in the day. Some of the goals he scored from 05 to 09 he couldn't pull off today if he wanted to. That has more to do with his skating not being on the same level it was then. He was clocked as the fastest player in the league over that time. Now he might not even be in the top 5.

Ovy has never ever been the fastest in the NHL.

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
Obvious homer answer...I strongly believe Kuznetsov is one of the most skilled players in the league currently. The shit dude does with the puck is downright obnoxious at times.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He was clocked as the fastest during his first few years in the league so facts say otherwise.

There were faster players. Take it from someone, or anyone who watched the NHL back then. He was up there, but was probably still not top 10 even.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm not sure how you measure "most skilled".

If we use the bank off the goalie goal as an example that is hockey sense (to me) and an average shooter could have scored the same goal but may not have seen the option. Hockey sense is probably Crosby's domain.

Deking and puck handling are what jump out at me when you say skill, which makes me think of Malkin.

Skating is certainly a skill but speed alone does not define the skill, McDavid surely owns this category though.

Protecting the puck and winning corner battles is certainly a skill but a lot of lower profile players are extremely strong in this department.

Then there is getting into prime scoring positions and that "Brett Hull appear out of no where" ability. Matthews is pretty good in this category.

Shot, I suppose most would say Laine or Ovie. I'll give it to Ovie for old time sake but this one is Laine's for the taking.

Passing? Tough call, could go to a lot of people.

Defensive awareness? I'll give this one to Mr Barkov.

Face offs? Checking. Take aways. Agitating. These are all skills too aren't they?

When I look at all the different potential categories and who I think the top guys in each I do think Crosby comes out the winner in this one, but it is subjective as hell and depends on what skills you value most. No one jumps out at me as #2.

Not a bad thread, an interesting topic to be sure but a bit of a fail when you tell people who they can and cannot pick.

This is why I picked Crosby, I just still can't understand why everyone thinks mainly about deking and stickhandling when people say skill. Skill is literally everything, even hockey sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad